Frida's Food Trials (Allergy/Ear Infection from the Demonic Planes)

Rylka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Warning in advance - this is a bit of a novel, and I have done some dumb things!

I adopted my wonderful 4 y/o Siamese tortie mix Frida in Feb of this year. I originally had her on grain-free salmon dry food (ignorance, your name is me), but did supplement with a variety of wet foods and eventually transitioned to wet only. In April, she got an ear infection (cytology confirmed yeast) that just would not go away. After repeated treatments of Mometamax and a round of steroid pills, the infection was barely budging. She also developed a pretty bad case of chin acne. And through it all, she was in so much discomfort/pain because whenever she itches she scratches herself raw :bawling2:

The vet thought it was most likely food allergies (her blood work and poop tests were normal), and on her recommendation I put Frida on Hills z/d in June, but didn't see any real improvement, even with two rounds of steroid injections (no side effects from those, thank goodness). After all that, I found out she had been sneaking in and eating my roommate's cat's dry food! We now have complete food separation in place. By the start of Nov, her infection had basically gone, so I decided it was time to start moving her back to "real" food. She hated the z/d; basically ate it because she won't *completely* starve herself, and that food is expensive for how awful it is ($75 every 12 days).

I first started Frida on Instinct Rabbit, since she was a big fan of their rabbit toppers prior to the z/d and I thought it was likely she had a chicken allergy. She was such a happy camper...for 4 days. Then her ear infection came back with a vengeance! So I made the switch over to Instinct beef (novel protein) while treating her ear with Zymox to control the yeast and itchiness. She's been on 100% Instinct beef since Nov 18, and I have not had to give her the Zymox since Nov 25.

So here's what I know so far:
She is most likely allergic to chicken and/or peas (roommate's food had chicken and peas, Instinct has peas)
She might also have an allergy to rabbit or pork (the regular Instinct rabbit is a mix...yes, I am not smart for not realizing that to begin with)
Her ears currently have some dark wax/gunk, but the inflammation is not bad and she isn't shaking her head/scratching nearly as much. Acne isn't terrible but not great either.

Here are my next steps:
I'm not super happy with the ingredient list on the Instinct (why are peas in everything??), so I ordered Dr. Elsey's beef Cleanprotein, along with Meat Mates beef freeze dried to use as a topper when she starts to get fussy about her meals.
I will keep her on beef only for another 6 weeks assuming no worsening of symptoms, then begin a trial of turkey (another novel protein)
I've ordered a package of U-stew to start making her food myself, since I can both make foods with a better protein to fat ratio and it will hopefully make trying out new foods easier in the future.
Her next appointment at the vet is Dec 11. We'll be doing another set of blood work to prep for a teeth cleaning. She's got gingivitis that needs to get taken care of, and while I do want to start brushing her teeth it's likely to be a couple of months before she lets me get in her mouth on a regular basis.

I've read everything I can find about allergies, ear infections, making my own food, food transitions...basically all I could get my hands on here and elsewhere since this saga began. Thank you everyone for your help, and hopefully my floundering helps someone else who might be going through a similar issue!

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi there Rylka Rylka welcome to food allergy He^&%*. Pull up a chair - you are in good company! A number of us have traveled this road ... and it sucks.

My Charlie, a Siamese too, has a food allergy - most likely chicken and turkey. As you probably painfully discovered - chicken is EVERYWHERE. The difference between him and your little Frida is that he WILL starve himself. Took me three years to get him to stay on a food trial.

Food trials are best at 12 + weeks done. Nothing else. No treats that are not of the same protein as the trial diet is. Nadda.

This will be your new best friend:

Check This Out.... Chart For Cat Food Ingredients

It's quite the intense spreadsheet but it's been a lifesaver for me.

Ask me anything - I'll do my best to help you. Even if it's only hug you and support you along this path.

XOXOXO

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rylka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi there Rylka Rylka welcome to food allergy Hell. Pull up a chair you are in good company! A number of us have traveled this road and it sucks.

My Charlie, a Siamese too, has a food allergy - most likely chicken and turkey. As you probably painfully discovered - chicken is EVERYWHERE The different between him and your little Frida is that he WILL starve himself. Took me three years to get him to stay on a food trial.

Food trial are best at 12 weeks done. Nothing else. No treats that are not of the same protein the trial diet is too.

This will be your new best friend:

Check This Out.... Chart For Cat Food Ingredients

It's quite the intense spreadsheet but it's been a lifesaver for me.

Ask me anything - I'll do my best to help you. Even if it's only hug you and support you along this path.

XOXOXO
Thank you so much! I've read your thread on Charlie - poor baby with the food *and* crystals, I'm so glad that y'all have gotten through the allergy. Were you able to clear up the latest set of crystals?
That chart has been a lifesaver for me too! Between it and catfooddb, I finally feel like I can get a handle on canned wet foods! The main reason I was looking at doing an 8 week rather than 12 week trial with the beef is that I know beef foods have so much more fat than other proteins, and I don't want to damage Frida's health in a different way while we work on the allergy situation...though if I can switch her to beef homemade I won't feel as bad since 90/10 beef has closer to a 50/50 protein/fat calorie ratio.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And HCM and Asthma. Little guys got it pretty tough so it's a good things he's one tough cookie.

We'll be going back to tests for crystals again in the new year, unless there becomes a reason to do it sooner. The Doctor wants the food changed again (before retesting) and that's so far an epic fail. He's peeing really well though so I'm hoping he has flushed them out. I am suspecting stress crystals (and not food related) as both times he had crystals were when he was placed under a lot of stress. (he's never had them before in his 7 year life) His Dr. is awesome though so I'm trying to do as we're told. Getting him to co-operate HA! Good luck to me. lol Thanks for asking :-) I hope something is that thread is helpful to you! People gave boatloads of info and help.

That's the same concern I have for Charlie with this duck. High fat, but when I compare it to other foods it's not quite as bad as I thought - no great though. I share the same concerns as you - fix one issue only to bring on another seems to be counter productive.

Now that I have a kitchen (long story - was pretty much without one for over a year.) I'm also considering a cooking option.

Yup catfooddb and that spreadsheet - life savers. :-)

Last edited:

Rylka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
After an unenthusiastic breakfast yesterday, Frida did finish her dinner, and although she didn't run to start eating this morning I can hear her munching away now. She does this adorable thing where she'll eat a bit, scratch around the plate, then circle back around to eat some more. Poops looked good - dark, smallish and a more normal shape after a couple of days of ones that looked more like marbles.
Put medication on her acne, she tore at a spot on her chin and on the side of her mouth. Glad this stuff works as quickly as it does. Ears were the same - right is a bit red, some dark gunk and left has no discoloration and very small amount of dark gunk.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to say don't rule out environmental allergies. Unfortunately there is no reliable allergy test for cats so it takes detective work and treating it like she is allergic to this and that and see how it goes to find out what that might be.

Also be warned, there is so little known about how allergies manifest themselves in cats as there is so little research. What a vet says on the topic, in my personal experience, is usually only based on what she knows about allergies in humans which might be wrong and/or what she saw with cats. e.g. My cat's vet seriously believes if there is an airborne allergy there is always watery eyes and sneezing as reaction. I have a not-mild dust mite and cockroach allergy but I never sneeze. Not everyone gets the same symptoms as an allergic reaction.

Good luck!

Rylka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We did talk about the possibility of environmental allergies as well (my vet is great), but since the problem is so responsive to changes in food, we're focusing on that for the time being.

I'll be glad to change over to a different beef food. Friday's poop last night was well formed but smelled foul :ohwell:
She scratched up her chin and the side of her mouth even more last night, so more topical acne meds this morning, and a very unhappy Frida.
Left ear was the same as yesterday, right ear slightly less red.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to say don't rule out environmental allergies. Unfortunately there is no reliable allergy test for cats so it takes detective work and treating it like she is allergic to this and that and see how it goes to find out what that might be.

Also be warned, there is so little known about how allergies manifest themselves in cats as there is so little research. What a vet says on the topic, in my personal experience, is usually only based on what she knows about allergies in humans which might be wrong and/or what she saw with cats. e.g. My cat's vet seriously believes if there is an airborne allergy there is always watery eyes and sneezing as reaction. I have a not-mild dust mite and cockroach allergy but I never sneeze. Not everyone gets the same symptoms as an allergic reaction.

Good luck!
So true about detective work!

I agree with your vet. Often times runny eyes etc everyone assumes it's the herpes virus when, in fact, it might simple be plain old fashioned allergies. I'm allergic to dust-mites too and never sneeze.

We did talk about the possibility of environmental allergies as well (my vet is great), but since the problem is so responsive to changes in food, we're focusing on that for the time being.

I'll be glad to change over to a different beef food. Friday's poop last night was well formed but smelled foul :ohwell:
She scratched up her chin and the side of her mouth even more last night, so more topical acne meds this morning, and a very unhappy Frida.
Left ear was the same as yesterday, right ear slightly less red.
You and I must have the same Vet. Mine's awesome too!

Yup it can be environmental too and good luck to anyone when that's the case. I keep my house - I like to think - fairly clean - but MAN good luck with dust! It seems that would have to be my full time job and even then I swear it wouldn't be enough. *sigh* Darn dust!

The foul smell might simply be from the change.
I bet she was unhappy - but - she'll get lots of love from you that I am sure will make up for it. :heartshape:

BTW I meant to ask you this before and failed. The two foods you are feeding Frida have near identical ingredients, yes?

I like your plan though. I think that's going to give her a really good chance!

Rylka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yup it can be environmental too and good luck to anyone when that's the case. I keep my house - I like to think - fairly clean - but MAN good luck with dust! It seems that would have to be my full time job and even then I swear it wouldn't be enough. *sigh* Darn dust!

The foul smell might simply be from the change.
I bet she was unhappy - but - she'll get lots of love from you that I am sure will make up for it. :heartshape:

BTW I meant to ask you this before and failed. The two foods you are feeding Frida have near identical ingredients, yes?

I like your plan though. I think that's going to give her a really good chance!
You are so right about the dust!! I now know why my mom's final advice to me when I moved out was "Dust collects" :flail:
Frida and I got in a good play session tonight, so she's obviously forgiven me for the moment.

The main protein (beef) is the same, but the key difference between the instinct and the Dr Elsey's is that instinct has peas and carrots and I want to cut those out of Frida's diet completely. So I won't actually be feeding her that once she makes the transition over.

I have been doing even more reading on the forum and realized something that probably should have been obvious from the start...I have been overfeeding Frida. I always thought I should go by the recommendations on the label, but that comes out to at least a hundred calories more than she could possibly need to maintain her weight as an indoor cat! Especially with the beef food, I will need to dial back the volume I am giving her at each meal to keep her at a healthy weight. I feel kinda dumb for just figuring it out, but at least I caught it before it piled on more problems for her. I'll talk to the vet at her appointment next week to determine a good calorie baseline.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are so right about the dust!! I now know why my mom's final advice to me when I moved out was "Dust collects" :flail:

Frida and I got in a good play session tonight, so she's obviously forgiven me for the moment.
:flail:Sound advice!

It's nice when we're forgiven for things. I do believe that most of the time they know we are trying to help.

The main protein (beef) is the same, but the key difference between the instinct and the Dr Elsey's is that instinct has peas and carrots and I want to cut those out of Frida's diet completely. So I won't actually be feeding her that once she makes the transition over.
Good. I thought that was the plan but I wanted to make sure I had understood correctly.

I have been doing even more reading on the forum and realized something that probably should have been obvious from the start...I have been overfeeding Frida. I always thought I should go by the recommendations on the label, but that comes out to at least a hundred calories more than she could possibly need to maintain her weight as an indoor cat! Especially with the beef food, I will need to dial back the volume I am giving her at each meal to keep her at a healthy weight. I feel kinda dumb for just figuring it out, but at least I caught it before it piled on more problems for her. I'll talk to the vet at her appointment next week to determine a good calorie baseline.
Honestly, I didn't think that was obvious either. I always though the instructions on the can were accurate.

Yes, good that you caught it before issues began!

I'll see if I can find the calories per pound for you and I'll post it.

Rylka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks F FeralHearts ! I looked it up online but the numbers varied quite a bit (3 calculators, 5 numbers haha).
My schedule changed at work so I now have an appointment at the vet Thurs morning instead of next week. If all goes well, she'll get her teeth cleaned next week and then I can start the brushing process :ohwell:. It took like 3 months to acclimate her to getting the coat brushed so I know I'm in for the long haul with her teeth.

Chin and cheek acne looking better. Her ears looked the same, but she was shaking her head more than I observed the last few days. Though that could just be coincidence in when I happened to see it

Rylka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Such an energetic Frida this morning! And no redness in either ear, so that's nice. She is now 100% on the Dr. Elsey's food, so no more peas hopefully ever. Also took down the quantity last night and this morning, so at least not grossly overfeeding her anymore. Poop looked OK, a bit smaller/drier but within normal range.

Blood work tomorrow, so she'll be fasting from around midnight/1a until after her appointment. I'm sure they'll do a cleaning, so tracking progress on how her ears are doing will be a bit easier after. Downside, she hates going to the vet and it takes her a couple of days to settle after.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This won't help for this vet visit because of the teeth cleaning but for subsequent visits where Frida won't be put under - have you tried gabapentin for pre-vet visit jitters? It's helped to clam two of my kitties - less dram before, during and after with 1 -2 small doses.

Rylka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I haven't heard of that before...if she has a really bad time of it I'll consider asking the vet, but as a rule I'd rather shower her with affection (toys, cuddles when she wants, free reign of that one room in the house I don't usually let her in) than medication. With all the meds I've had to give her up till now, I'm reluctant to add any that aren't 100% necessary. I should clarify that she doesn't usually have, like, nightmare reactions to her visits, but for a couple of days after I can tell she is still miffed at me :lol:

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ahh miffed is okay. LOL Can relate. White Label, one of my girls, won't speak to me for a full day after. She never needs it though.

One of my other girls, Brave Heart, well, if I don't use gaba - forget even attempting the carrier. Way to wild. Charlie I play it by ear. Stress level dependent. Mia is the same, play it by ear.

I'm with you I hate medicated unless needed. If you haven't needed any to get her to the vet or behave at the vet - you're good.

Rylka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So the appointment went pretty well! The vet is reasonably sure we won't have to do any extractions when she goes in for her cleaning, which will be in 2 weeks. She was supportive of the food trial, and said she'll also take a better look at the inside of Friday's ears when they have her sedated.
Frida weighed in at 14.3 lbs...which makes her about a pound heavier than when I got her in Feb. Vet gave me some tips about getting her weight down a bit (reducing food slowly, how to weigh her at home, keep playing with her as much as she'll do), but also said that while Frida is technically overweight she's still very healthy and I shouldn't stress too much. A healthy weight for Frida is 13lbs, so we're not too far off course.
One thing I love about my vet is how she always takes time to answer my questions and have an engaged conversation about them. I wish all my people doctors were the same way :lol:
So current food plan is to do a home weigh in tomorrow to get a baseline, then weigh in every 2-3 weeks and revise diet as necessary. I'll feed her 1 can of current food in the morning and 3/4 at night.
They cleaned Frida's ears, so I'll have a fresh slate to work from for food reactions. Vet also hopes having a food her body is happy with will reduce the acne. In the meantime I have plenty of the cream left to deal with the bad outbreaks.

Rylka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We had a really good play session last night, and then cuddles and happiness, so mark one down in the Frida's not as mad as normal column! Ears obviously looked OK after the cleaning yesterday. I'll take a photo tomorrow - didn't think about it till I was examining them today and that's too late to hunt down my phone.
Her poops are now a mix of very dark and light, and the lighter ones are smaller. Consistency is the same. Wondering if that's because there's not a bunch of veggies in her diet now.
I broke out my scale to get her starting home weight...and it just read "Lo." So no home weigh ins till I get some batteries haha.