Freya isn't eating

Miathebsh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
UPDATE:

Freya started eating with lots of appetite on Monday morning. She licked her dish clean on both wet meals, and ate all the kibbles on all her dry meals.
Same on Tuesday.

Then, yesterday we had an ultrasound scan to check on that inflamed uterus. The vets asked me to take her on an empty stomach. And so I did. The US scan vet didn't see anything abnormal in her uterus... as a matter of fact he couldn't even see it... He said that the uterus isn't clearly visible when a cat isn't in heat or when she's been spayed. This is a confirmation that Freya might have been in heat when she was scanned 12 days earlier.
Freya ate all her meals throughout the day.

This morning she was acting fine, was alert and playful, waiting for he breakfast. Then, all of a sudden, I saw a different light in her eyes, she started acting lost, confused, aloof. Started looking for weird places to hide, and, of course, she didn't want to eat. She doesn't respond to her name either, again...
We're back to square one.
I'll update my vet later, but I think she won't have much to tell me. I'm getting tired.
I m sorry for both of you and i wish you all the best .
we find the abnormality in Mia ‘ s behaviour and lack of appetite - the Aurizon drops . Her change of behaviour started some days after first drops in the ear andshe came back to normaliy after few days when we stopped the treatment .
does your freya took any medicine when she started acting like that ?
hope you will find the cause as soon as possible .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, she isn't taking or has ever taken any medicine for this, even because we don't even know what the cause of this behavior is.
She changes her behavior and approach to the surrounding environment out of the blue. She's fine now, she's on another planet an hour later, and nothing has happened in the middle.
The vet who I spoke with two hours ago, besides the repeated surgery for the spaying, has suggested an MRI, which I'm totally against.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Antonio65 Antonio65 when can they get her in for the rest of her spay? Hormones can change a cat's behaviour drastically, and with a partial spay we don't really know what her levels are at or doing right? (Well you had the blood work so you know more than most!) Cats who are not spayed can have a lot of troubles ..... My uncle's cat he never got spayed and when it lived with my mum she said she would become a different cat each week in a cycle.

It makes me think there's much hope for that surgery.

As a side note, my cat also had many weird and out their health issues in the first two years of life and he didn't eat much either. I was always having to coax him into eating. But he was energetic (to the extreme), playful, loving ...he began to eat better once we got him stable and also discovered a food allergy to beef and beef byproducts.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A Alldara , the vets agree that Freya has to be operated on again, they still have to make a plan for that.
They would like to run a further test. Freya was tested for her hormone (LH test) in May, and she tested positive, the test revealed the presence of a remnant of ovaries. The vets would like to run a stimulation test with a hormone called GNRh and then see with the ultrasound scan if the ovaries and uterus react, and spot the remnants.
When this will be done is still unknown. They believe within this month.

I'm so angry at them, because at least 10 months of my life, and Freya's life, have been spoiled and ruined by this mistake. I wouldn't like to have her operated on again. To see her opened up again, the cone, the rough days, I thought it was a thing of the past.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so angry at them, because at least 10 months of my life, and Freya's life, have been spoiled and ruined by this mistake. I wouldn't like to have her operated on again. To see her opened up again, the cone, the rough days, I thought it was a thing of the past.
I completely understand your frustration and disappointment. I don't like to do anything invasive if it can be avoided. Assuming they will do the surgery within a month will they charge you since it was their mistake? I know you're more concerned about Freya's well being than the cost but if the vet(s) are responsible for the error then there should be some type of negotiation. Once again, my sincere sympathies for what you're going through and poor little Freya. 🤗

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you neely neely , yes, I forgot or omitted to say that all the vets at the clinic agree that the surgery and all the accessory expenses will be on them. They recognized their mistake, even if the doctor who did the surgery last year isn't working there any longer. It seems she quit/was fired shortly after the mess on Freya, it seems she wasn't new to mess and mistakes.
What scares me is that today I learned that their staff has been dramatically reduced due to reasons they didn't want to disclose. I might end up with someone who isn't very good or experienced either.
I have to investigate more and learn who is going to have the scalpel in their hands.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
What scares me is that today I learned that their staff has been dramatically reduced due to reasons they didn't want to disclose. I might end up with someone who isn't very good or experienced either.
I have to investigate more and learn who is going to have the scalpel in their hands.
Oh no, I understand your predicament. I would feel the same exact way. I know you will be diligent and do your research to investigate the team.

Not to change the subject but Carleton is having some difficulties too, one of them is his appetite and an unusual glare almost as if he's in a trance. I called the vet this morning who is also short staffed and only one vet, (my favorite vet), is there by herself. She is completely booked so the front desk told me I could call around to other vets - NO!!!! I don't want to go to a strange vet. As luck would have it, they talked to our vet when she came in and fortunately she's squeezing Carleton in this afternoon. My point being that I know how you feel. I told the receptionist at the front desk I was going to cry when the vet said she would make time for Carleton.:touched:

My thoughts are with you and I hope after all you have been through you will get the results you so desperately need for Freya. I'm also glad your vets recognized their mistake and will not be charging you for the second surgery. Please continue to update us. :hugs:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Carleton is having some difficulties too, one of them is his appetite and an unusual glare almost as if he's in a trance.
Oh no, I feel for you. Do you think he's in pain? Did this ever happened before?

I called the vet this morning who is also short staffed and only one vet, (my favorite vet), is there by herself. She is completely booked so the front desk told me I could call around to other vets - NO!!!! I don't want to go to a strange vet. As luck would have it, they talked to our vet when she came in and fortunately she's squeezing Carleton in this afternoon. My point being that I know how you feel. I told the receptionist at the front desk I was going to cry when the vet said she would make time for Carleton.:touched:
You were lucky! This is because they know you well, and wanted to treat you as a valuable customer.
I wouldn't like to go elsewhere either. I know my vets, they know me and, above all, they know how meticolous I am, so they do listen to me, they don't think my words are just the rant of someone in panic.
A new vet would never listen to me as they do.
And you are on the same boat.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A Alldara , the vets agree that Freya has to be operated on again, they still have to make a plan for that.
They would like to run a further test. Freya was tested for her hormone (LH test) in May, and she tested positive, the test revealed the presence of a remnant of ovaries. The vets would like to run a stimulation test with a hormone called GNRh and then see with the ultrasound scan if the ovaries and uterus react, and spot the remnants.
When this will be done is still unknown. They believe within this month.

It's always so stressful when they have to have an operation 😿 I understand. I do hope you'll see improvement afterwards.

And good luck with the hormones tests also. A very complex situation for you both to be stuck in that very well could have been avoided.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A very complex situation for you both to be stuck in that very well could have been avoided.
This is what I told them. We wouldn't be in this situation had they worked better last year.
When they said "accidents happen", I replied that this kind of accident shouldn't have happened at all.
Even if they cover for the surgery, who's gonna reimburse me for the many months of stress, and who's gonna reimburse Freya for her long and repeated inconvenience?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This is what I told them. We wouldn't be in this situation had they worked better last year.
When they said "accidents happen", I replied that this kind of accident shouldn't have happened at all.
Even if they cover for the surgery, who's gonna reimburse me for the many months of stress, and who's gonna reimburse Freya for her long and repeated inconvenience?
Not to mention, that hormone testing you've done already.
If you discover that this was the cause of her issues by it clearing up after surgery, I doubt they will cover that cost too.... Yet it's all linked.

I'm sorry this was your experience.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Oh no, I feel for you. Do you think he's in pain? Did this ever happened before?
I hope he's not in pain. Something similar happened when he was first diagnosed with Pancreatitis and again when he had a flare-up. I'm only guessing this is the cause but I'm also thinking of a possible antecedent. As you know, cats are stoic and hide their pain well. Just one more reason why we have to be in tune with their behaviors and habits. I can tell from reading your posts that you are on top of your cat's health and will go above and beyond to do what is best for them.

Isn't that called per diem? I wonder what they would say if you brought that up to them?

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope he's not in pain. Something similar happened when he was first diagnosed with Pancreatitis and again when he had a flare-up. I'm only guessing this is the cause but I'm also thinking of a possible antecedent. As you know, cats are stoic and hide their pain well. Just one more reason why we have to be in tune with their behaviors and habits. I can tell from reading your posts that you are on top of your cat's health and will go above and beyond to do what is best for them.
My cat Pallina had a couple of bouts of pancreatitis a year or two before she left me, and apart from the antibiotics, what really worked fine with her were the subQ's i would do every night or every second night.
Yes, we need to really be in tune with their habits and routine in order to catch anything wrong as soon as possible.
Thank you for your words :redheartpump:

Isn't that called per diem? I wonder what they would say if you brought that up to them?
I didn't mention this to them, and I wonder what they would say if I did, but I'm not ruling out that one day I could mantion it to them, even under the form of a joke.
Per diem should be something to do with refunding expenses for working away from the main site. In my case should more like a compensation for all the inconvenience.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
UPDATE

After a couple of days mid last week, when Freya ate as her old usual, since Friday we're back to square one.
She isn't eating or she is eating very little food.
For instance, yesterday she only ate 40 grams of wet food and a little more than a portion of kibbles (about 15 grams).
Today, it's 4:30 pm now, since this morning at 8 am, she's only eaten 12 grams of wet food. If I present her dish again, she just backs up, like she was sick from the smell.

She's showing a total lack of interest in food, in any form. She isn't interested in my food either. She plays, looks out the windows, sleeps, as always. Then only thing is that in the last few days she tends to go into hiding spots more often.
I remember when I had to fight her off to keep her away from my dishes, or when she would search the house for anything to eat, or steal our food during our meals, and now I find myself in a totally opposite situation.

Looks like this is a case of feline anorexia.
I searched the web and found different articles about that, but nearly all of them focus on some situations that can drive a cat into getting anorexic, like moving to a new house, changes in the household, the arrival of a new baby/pet, the loss of a family member, a change of routines, a different dish setup or position, a disease, a therapy, a new food, a change of diet, and so on.
None of the above has occurred in our home.
The house is the same, nothing has been moved or introduced, no new pets or family members have arrived or gone, we keep doing the same things in the same way at the same time, her dishes are still in the same position, the food is always the same, at the same times. She's fine too, all blood works show that, she isn't taking any medicine, she isn't showing any signs of sickness or pain.
So I really don't know what else to do or think.

The vet also talked about a NG tube for feeding her for a few days, but I'm against it, it would stress her out more, I'm sure.
Tomorrow I will update the vets, but I'm sure they won't know what to do or think either.

The other cat, Giada, has a normal appetite, and eats everything I feed her.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry to read your update about Freya. 😿 I admit I don't know that much about anorexia in humans but it's my understanding that when they eat a very small amount of food their stomach shrinks. Is it possible the same is true for Freya? I hope the vets are able to put their heads together and brainstorm a solution or think outside the box. Not all cats are textbook cases. Continue to send healing vibes and special thoughts to Freya and you.:vibes::vibes::vibes::hugs:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
but it's my understanding that when they eat a very small amount of food their stomach shrinks. Is it possible the same is true for Freya?
I don't know, the only way to say if that's true is to scan her abdomen, but we should also have a comparison with her stomach when she was eating a lot.

Not all cats are textbook cases.
Yes, I know, because I have had so many weird cases in my household in the last few years.
Lola with her hyperaldosteronism which, like I was told, it's an extremely rare disease, every year less than 40 cats are diagnosed with it in the world! And before that, she had a rare carcinoma in her nostril.
Pallina with her apathetic hyperthyroidism. Only 10% of cats with HT have an apathetic form. And beyond this, she also suffered from a strange lung issue, where her left lung had an atelectasis of unknown origin and no vet was able to help her.
My current Giada, with a mysterious blood issue that prevent her blood from clotting. We're keeping her under strict control with tests every 6 months. And she's Type B blood too.
And Freya, with her unusual change in behavior, with moments when her mind kind of blacks out. And now what it seems to be an anorexia.

My vets know me as the one with cats with the rarest cases in the world.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Antonio65 Antonio65 must be fate or something that brings them your way!
Someone told me that these "unusual" cats are being sent to me from above because they wouldn't be taken care of in someone else's house.
I don't think I am that special, but yes, it's a strange series of cases.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Someone told me that these "unusual" cats are being sent to me from above because they wouldn't be taken care of in someone else's house.
I don't think I am that special, but yes, it's a strange series of cases.
Sometimes I think they're sent to those that will reach for the answers and provide a level of care. Who knows. Something is looking out for them for sure!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
You have to wonder if there's some truth in that thought - I definitely think it's fate. Someone up there knows you will care for these cats and do all you can to enhance their quality of life. :redheartpump:

Sometimes I think they're sent to those that will reach for the answers and provide a level of care. Who knows. Something is looking out for them for sure!
:yeah: Ditto!