Freya isn't eating

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
UPDATE

Again, during the past week Freya ate normally for two days, then again she's just nibbling. This morning she just licked the wet food and turned away. She's sleeping now.
In the last two days she hasn't been responding to her name, she seems to be on a different planet.
She's sneezed four times in the last half an hour. I wonder when she got a cold, since it's still very warm here, and we do not have A/C at home.

There are days when I would like her to be operated on again, with the hope this is the solution to all her problems.
Then there are days when I wouldn't want any vet to touch her again, because the last time they did, they messed up.

but it's my understanding that when they eat a very small amount of food their stomach shrinks. Is it possible the same is true for Freya?
I looked info about this, but different websites say different things, so I really don't know what the truth is.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I looked info about this, but different websites say different things, so I really don't know what the truth is.
I think the truth is you know her best, e.g. her good days when she has an appetite, substandard days when she nibbles, responds to her name or is non-responsive, etc. I understand and sympathize with you about whether or not to put her through another operation since the vets can't give you any guarantees. If you're unsure which way to go is there any harm in waiting until you're absolutely sure?

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand and sympathize with you about whether or not to put her through another operation since the vets can't give you any guarantees. If you're unsure which way to go is there any harm in waiting until you're absolutely sure?
Well, it's more that I don't trust the vets anymore. Not only mine, but I guess I couldn't trust any vet. Right now I think I wouldn't like to see any vet putting their hands on my cats.

Waiting a little longer shouldn't harm her, unless it is true that her uterus is getting inflamed when she's in heat.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
UPDATE:

Freya has been eating regularly in the last 16 days, just like I used to know her. She eats all her meals, she's fine, loving, playful, full of energy.

Meanwhile, the vets called me to have her spayed again. The first appointment they gave me was for the pre-op blood work, on Sept 27th. The results arrived two days later. I couldn't see them, probably because I didn't pay for them, they were on the clinic since it was their mistake during the first operation. They told me, though, that everything is fine and we booked the surgery on Thursday, October 6th. Today.

I've been preparing, in a constant state of anxiety, for a week.
Then, last night the vet called me and told me that due to a series of circumstances, the surgery had to be postponed by a week, next Thursday.

I feel like I'm being fooled now. It took them at least six months to accept the idea that they could have made a mistake last year, and finally they accepted to run the hormonal test to prove that Freya hadn't been fully spayed. Then it took them another four months to decide to operate on her again, we had finally set a date for this surgery, and now it's been moved forward.

I'm not even sure I want to do that anymore. I think this is a sign, something is telling me to leave things as they are.
Or that I have to have that done somewhere else, not at my usual clinic 🙁

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Antonio65 Antonio65 I would have already changed clinics. Either way, they should foot the bill for the spay.

Can you call and get a second opinion?

Also that is NOT acceptable that you cant see the bloodwork because you "didn't pay for it". They paid for it because they messed up, not for charity. There is some seriously sketchy things going on there and I would consider finding legal advice.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Antonio65 Antonio65 I would have already changed clinics. Either way, they should foot the bill for the spay.

Can you call and get a second opinion?
I'm really considering changing clinics.
I've been looking around, in my area, within 20 miles from where I live. This is the distance I could travel in half an hour or less, and in case of an emergency, I wouldn't like to drive a longer distance than this.
Fact is that all the other clinics within this range have some bad to very bad reviews. I only read the negative reviews because they focus on real problem and accidents. So, should I change clinics, I would risk to end up in the same situation, or worse.

As for footing the bill, my clinic is willing to do this. Another clinic won't do that, of course.

Also that is NOT acceptable that you cant see the bloodwork because you "didn't pay for it". They paid for it because they messed up, not for charity. There is some seriously sketchy things going on there and I would consider finding legal advice.
I'm not really interested in that particular blood work, we had another blood work done at the end of August and it was clear. The vets wanted a fresher one only to make sure that everything was fine prior to the surgery, but I don't really need it.
Freya has been doing great in the last 17 days, so I'm not sure that I want someone else to put their hands on her now. I'm considering leaving things as they are.
This chain of delays and mishaps are a sign that I have to give up my idea, I think. Things happen for a reason. I think that what happened so far has been a way that fate had to tell me not to mess with Freya.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Antonio65 Antonio65 well.you have to trust your instincts.
Check to see if that means a different vet will be doing her surgery at that clinic. It could be fate moving her into better hands.
We never know. It could be that the vet will be less distracted at that time and date is saying: this is safer.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Antonio65 Antonio65 well.you have to trust your instincts.
Check to see if that means a different vet will be doing her surgery at that clinic. It could be fate moving her into better hands.
We never know. It could be that the vet will be less distracted at that time and date is saying: this is safer.
I asked them whether there was another surgeon for that spay, the answer was that this one was their favorite because he was the most experienced.

Miathebsh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
UPDATE:

Freya has been eating regularly in the last 16 days, just like I used to know her. She eats all her meals, she's fine, loving, playful, full of energy.

Meanwhile, the vets called me to have her spayed again. The first appointment they gave me was for the pre-op blood work, on Sept 27th. The results arrived two days later. I couldn't see them, probably because I didn't pay for them, they were on the clinic since it was their mistake during the first operation. They told me, though, that everything is fine and we booked the surgery on Thursday, October 6th. Today.

I've been preparing, in a constant state of anxiety, for a week.
Then, last night the vet called me and told me that due to a series of circumstances, the surgery had to be postponed by a week, next Thursday.

I feel like I'm being fooled now. It took them at least six months to accept the idea that they could have made a mistake last year, and finally they accepted to run the hormonal test to prove that Freya hadn't been fully spayed. Then it took them another four months to decide to operate on her again, we had finally set a date for this surgery, and now it's been moved forward.

I'm not even sure I want to do that anymore. I think this is a sign, something is telling me to leave things as they are.
Or that I have to have that done somewhere else, not at my usual clinic 🙁
I'm so so happy that she is getting back on her routine .
As for the blood tests that needs to be done before the surgery i agree the vets. Everything can change in a blink of an eye in terms of blood results so maybe this is a good thing. Legally, even if you didn t pay the blood tests, they are yours and i would push them to sent the results. They have a term of X days to sent you the receipt or not, but i would assume they wouldn t considering the mistake was 100% on them.
As for the re=spaying her, this is your decision and you should do what your instinct is telling . Only you can see her every day and can decide what is best for her in any circumstance. You should think about this step a little and make your decision based on what will be the best thing for Freya.
I know how it is to be in a roller-coaster with a cat feeling worse every day and you have demonstrated that you did your best to get her back on track.
I hope you make the best decision for her, as you did before .
Hugs and love !

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Freya has been doing great in the last 17 days, so I'm not sure that I want someone else to put their hands on her now. I'm considering leaving things as they are.
This chain of delays and mishaps are a sign that I have to give up my idea, I think. Things happen for a reason. I think that what happened so far has been a way that fate had to tell me not to mess with Freya.
I think you have your answer, don't you? There's an old saying, "if it's not broke, don't fix it." 😉 You can always revisit the idea of Freya having surgery but for now it appears she's doing well and I bet you are too. :hugs: