Fretting Over Newly Adopted Stray That Is Pregnant.

TaffyBean

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello.

A little over a month ago my husband and I took in a stray cat. Actually, my son took her in and called me asking what to do since she walked in and didn't leave. He's a first time/living alone guy. He had no clue what to do. So I went over and brought a carrier (just in case), and sure enough, I brought her home.

She has been the sweetest girl I've ever met. Never fussed in the car. Didn't fuss when I brought her into PetSmart to get checked for microchipping (which she wasn't). And her green collar had no tags.

When I got her home she came right out of the carrier and didn't even hide. I bought a disposable litter box at Petsmart and she used it almost immediately. Then she ate so fast it broke my heart. She was so hungry.

The next morning she knocked over the garage can. She would eat anything I'm sure. Something tells me she was surviving by eating trash while outside.

She had clearly been someone's, but I could also tell she had been outside for a while. She was so thin and dirty. Barely 6 pounds and Petsmart said she was about a year old.

We have done our due diligence and posted on all of our community forums, plus looked for posts and have had no response.

So, the little fur ball is mine now. She's velcroed to me and I'm really happy with that. I am in my mid 40s and she is my first bonded forever cat. I have been a step fur parent to an adult cat but never a young cat or my own cat.

Now...after that long intro, we have taken her to the vet (2 weeks ago) and have had her checked out. She tested negative for feline leukemia, she did not have ear mites, she's had shots, and a safe preventative worm treatment.

The real whopper was when we found out she is pregnant. I can't describe how much I love this little girl, but I really don't have a ton of money to spend (I'm disabled) so hearing it would be $180 to get an ultrasound made me gulp...I did get the basic monthly Banfield care package though.

The vet seemed to think she was halfway along when we took her 2 weeks ago. If that's the case, she is now only a smidge over two weeks away, or she is roughly 50 days pregnant.

I have never been the owner of a pregnant cat. And the things I read on the internet aren't the same as hearing from owners whose cats have had kittens.

Since she was so underweight when we got her, will there be the possibility she won't show?

Without an x-ray or ultrasound could the doctor have been wrong time wise from just a physical exam? My husband has been the owner of a dozen cats in his life. He said he has never felt the nipples on a cat before. So at least I'm sure she is pregnant.

Is there anything I should be worried about, besides everything? Lol.

Anything anyone has to share will be so greatly appreciated. And if you read this all the way through, thank you! I am a fretful new fur parent and really appreciate it☺

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How sweet! She's lovely! :lovecat2:

She should have kitten chow available 24/7, and several wet meals daily.

She can also have scrambled eggs, cheese, and plain, full fat yogurt for extra calcium for the pregnancy and nursing days. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TaffyBean

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm happy to hear she can eat those things! I've wanted to supplement. Our older cat that passed away last year had a weight problem so we avoided giving her "people food". She'll get eggs for sure since that's my breakfast too.

TaffyBean

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. I read that further question should stay in the same thread. And of course I have another. LOL

When we took in our pregnant cat we didn't know she was. At about the same time we rehomed another cat. I knew they'd need time getting used to each other. But I obviously never anticipated this additional element.

Our other cats is a large 3 year old neutered male. She constantly wants to play with him and his patience for her antics gets maxed out.

He is truly a gentle cat, but when he reaches his limit he pins her down and growls.

How do I let them naturally find their limits while keeping her safe from injury?

It took the boy cat almost a month to come out of his shell and I don't want to send the message that they should be apart.

Help!

TaffyBean

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry. I'm failing at uploading pics right. Just wanted to show their size difference.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would just give them breaks from each other. I routinely separate some of my cats by closing the door to the bedroom that some use for a few hours so that they get some "space" from the others.

Perhaps you can separate them at certain points into different rooms for short periods.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does she listen to him when he pins her down and growls? If so, I'd let them work it out---that's normal cat communication. If things get more heated than that or if she keeps annoying him after he's told her to knock it off, I'd separate them for a little while.

TaffyBean

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It is an interesting combination. She does get his message and walks away for a bit. But not much longer than 10 minutes. And with him, he has the attitude of stop chasing me...I don't like it, yet he keeps seeking her out too.

It totally feels like 3 and 1 year old siblings that don't know their boundaries yet and I am on constant punking watch LOL

I am using timeouts when she gets too rambunctious.

I bit off a lot with these kiddos. Some I was aware of, some not. But that's life.☺