Freshness of dry food

moggiegirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’m wondering once you open a bag of dry food how quickly do you have to use it? I feed mostly wet and find myself sometimes feeding dry when I don’t want to because I am afraid that if I don’t use it within 4 to 6 weeks that it will go rancid. I had my cats on wet food and Ziwi Peak dry. Because of one day that my cat Bella didn’t eat much I panicked and purchased Dr Elsey’s which I fed before. But as soon as my package arrived from the Chewy company Bella was eating the Ziwi Peak and Mickey was happy on wet food only. Now I am stuck feeding Dr Elsey’s which is kitty crack to both cats and apparently I have to hurry up and feed it. It’s only a 2 pound bag and I am trying to limit it to 1 or 2 tablespoons per day per cat. I just don’t want to mess up their diet and turn them into kibble junkies again.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Doesn’t that cause moisture from the freezer to get into the food?
I haven’t had any trouble with moisture. My vet advised me to do what goingpostal goingpostal suggested. I feed all wet food, but I use Dr. Elsey’s dry food for treats and occasionally crushed as a topper when one of the girls is being finicky. A bag lasts for months. My vet said to freeze it for a minimum of three days to kill storage mites and then keep it either in the freezer or fridge. When I get a new bag from Chewy, I divide it into several freezer ziplocks then move a bag to the fridge as needed.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I used to keep it in the freezer also, when I fed dry. BUT, if you don't want to do that, keep it in the original bag, as it is meant to keep it as fresh as possible, close it up tight, either with it's own closure or some sort of really tight clip thing, and look at the expiration date. All bags have them. If you don't go past that, you should be ok.