Freshly opened spoiled canned food

slykat12

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It seems that about 1 of 10-15 cans I open for my kitty she won't eat it. Not one bite. Not when fresh in a clean bowl, not when dry- I leave it out all day too. These are flavors she usually loves and also she never has a problem eating canned food when it gets a but dried out. The only thing I can think of is I am getting some spoiled cans. Animal food is not regulated and I bet a lot of spoiled stuff gets through. The dates are fine on the can btw.

Do you all notice this with your caned products?

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
No dont have a problem. You must have a picky cat.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

It seems that about 1 of 10-15 cans I open for my kitty she won't eat it. Not one bite. Not when fresh in a clean bowl, not when dry- I leave it out all day too. These are flavors she usually loves and also she never has a problem eating canned food when it gets a but dried out. The only thing I can think of is I am getting some spoiled cans. Animal food is not regulated and I bet a lot of spoiled stuff gets through. The dates are fine on the can btw.

I'm a little confused.  Are you saying this is a recent situation, and that up until now she's eaten these foods?  

Are you also free feeding dry food?  

Have you tried purchasing another brand if it's only one brand or flavor?  

It would be highly unlikely that so many cans of food are "bad".  Have you contacted the manufacturer to find out if there's a recall that you may not have heard about?   

Also, please do not leave canned food out all day.  This too, will surely ruin it.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

slykat12

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sorry you are confused. I do think I am thorough and  clear and do not see any way of clarifying. Every question you have asked is already addressed in the original question.

We can agree to disagree about the caned food getting spoiled when left out.  Regardless that has nothing to do with my query.  

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I asked you several questions in order to help our community assess the situation further. You answered none of those queries. Unless you give better information it will be impossible to offer construtive help. I've never had a problem with any canned food I've fed my cats. Again, need better details.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Different batches do come out differently. A slightly different combination of ingredients, different quality of meats used, slightly different cooking temp/time, etc. Cats know. Is the food spoiled. . .probably not. But maybe that batch didn't turn out the way your cat likes. Cats are weird :lol3:.

chromium blues

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I buy a wide variety of canned food for my cats. They never have the same thing twice in a week, and I find this works. If they get tired of something, I'll leave it out of the rotation for three weeks or so and then put it back in and they'll eat it again. I just mix it into their dry food for variety.

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
I also feed a different brand and or flavor every day for a week. I even give different food in same day (am different from pm). This helps prevent fussy boredom. Cats are very fussy especially if they are not really hungry or feeling well. Also if dry is given all day this makes them not very hungry for canned food. It is like the kid eating candy does not want dinner. For this reason I do not leave dry out for free feeding, they get a little for a treat after they eat canned meal only.[emoji]128008[/emoji][emoji]128008[/emoji][emoji]128008[/emoji][emoji]128008[/emoji][emoji]128008[/emoji][emoji]128062[/emoji][emoji]128062[/emoji][emoji]128062[/emoji][emoji]128008[/emoji][emoji]128008[/emoji][emoji]128008[/emoji][emoji]128008[/emoji]

Last edited:

chromium blues

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah, leaving dry food out all day is best left for the very young, the very old, or the infirm. I meal feed my cats and have done for years. I know who's eating what and how much. In a multi-cat household, a cat could stop eating and it could take days to notice. No thank you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

slykat12

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I feed different things all the time as well so it is not boredom. All no grain, no carraggean, no guar gum,  no fish. The deal is about every once in awhile can she won't eat period. She won't eat it FRESH, she won't eat it OLD, she won't eat it with green eggs and ham and this is out of character-She is hungry and just starves herself for hours until I break down and give her something else which she gobbles.  That is why I came to the logical conclusion that something is wrong or different with the food.

I just came here to see if other cat parents ever experienced a similar phenomenon.

Oh well. TY all for taking the time to respond.

bonepicker

Top Cat
Purraise
No I have not experienced that! If she does not like something she never did. I do not feed them after their 4 pm meal is all eaten till 6 am the next day, so they are very hungry. Nothing was left out overnight to graze on. They do get bored of same thing several days in row however, that is why I have a rotation of 10 different flavors and brands. Like this morning was a mix of innova cat & kitten with weruva Peking duck. Yesterday was Soulistic good karma with chicken soup for catlovers soul. Or natural balance ultra with natural balance catatouille. I mix bands flavors and textures of what I know they like. After they finish I put a tablespoon of dry Orijen in bowl for a treat. After 6 am no more food till 4 pm

Last edited:

bonepicker

Top Cat
Purraise
I feed different things all the time as well so it is not boredom. All no grain, no carraggean, no guar gum,  no fish. The deal is about every once in awhile can she won't eat period. She won't eat it FRESH, she won't eat it OLD, she won't eat it with green eggs and ham and this is out of character-She is hungry and just starves herself for hours until I break down and give her something else which she gobbles.  That is why I came to the logical conclusion that something is wrong or different with the food.

I just came here to see if other cat parents ever experienced a similar phenomenon.

Oh well. TY all for taking the time to respond.
Yes it finally happened pride rockstar rabbit she smelled and walked away, I gave it to my male cat who eats everything. I heard they changed to French rabbits, maybe she noticed the difference.

Last edited:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Yeah. Mine do this, too. Every now and then I will give them something and they just won't eat it. If it sits and neither one eats it,I will dump the dishes and give them something I know they love. Then I will try the "offending" food a day or so later and they eat it. I guess they can be like us sometimes when we are in the mood for one food or another and nothing else will do. They just can't tell us that. 

I suppose it's possible that a bad can could get through now and again but I doubt every batch is exactly the same. Maybe a small change to a favorite food is enough to turn them off of it.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes it finally happened pride rockstar rabbit she smelled and walked away, I gave it to my male cat who eats everything. I heard they changed to French rabbits, maybe she noticed the difference.
My 2 love rockstar's rabbit. I also noticed that out of the blue they turned their noses up at it then gradually started eating it again. maybe they did notice a difference and needed to get used to it. They adore the lucky's lamb and the champ's chicken from PBI, too.