Fresh straw in winterized boxes BUT no takers. Any advice?

4theloveofcats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have a couple younger TNRd boys outside.
Usually the ferals take to the straw filled boxes easily.
But these two keeps walking around soaking wet and darting under the porch instead of snuggling in the straw.
My area of DC burbs is facing a sudden freeze up and then historically cold temps this weekend.
I am scared for these young kittehs because they have very short fur (seems like they have Abyssinian mixed in)
They eat a bunch, but there's nowhere to keep warm but the boxes I have out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

4theloveofcats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks, the containers are on the patio and under several heavy duty tarps. I'm thinking that perhaps they're too close to the feeding station and I should face them out (the boxes are facing a wall right now to keep any rain/ice from getting into them/

BellaBlue82

Sadie rules, Julian drools, my boys rule heaven ❤
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Not sure if this will work for you, but it's something I tried a few years back when I had my stray house outside. Dr Elsey's makes a litter pan additive called Cat Attract. I think it's mainly herbs (including a bit of catnip) that are supposed to attract cats to the litter pan. I sprinkled some of that in the straw on the inside and they went in!

4theloveofcats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Not sure if this will work for you, but it's something I tried a few years back when I had my stray house outside. Dr Elsey's makes a litter pan additive called Cat Attract. I think it's mainly herbs (including a bit of catnip) that are supposed to attract cats to the litter pan. I sprinkled some of that in the straw on the inside and they went in!
I bought some a few years ago, never used it. Couldn't hurt to try. :thumbsup:

suh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm having the same issue. Our strays won't use the cooler shelter but love the K&H A-frame house. The two shelters are set up side by side. When it starts getting dark they would race each other to the A-frame and see who gets it. I think they just don't like enclosed spaces and would rather stay out in the cold/rain. I'm feeding them tasty smelly snacks in it every day, hope they will start associating it with positive things.

4theloveofcats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
K&H A-frame house
I used to have those and the ferals loved them too. Then some really rude trash pandas partied in them and wrecked them. I decided to blow some money and just got petco to do a same delivery of this large outdoor heated mat. At least it was 58 dollars off.
hahddd.JPG

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have had many feral cats that just hated straw. I had numerous shelters and they hated them. Once I switched to heat pads, it helped tremendously. Also some cats don't like being in a confined space where they cannot escape. Many recommend having an exit and an entrance. Not ideal at all when you are trying to keep them warm. I used to start with 2 holes and then once the acclimated, I would patch up one of the holes.

Another idea is to use sterlite clear storage boxes. Line the sides, bottom and top lid with reflectix which you can find at Home Depot. I just used duct tape to secure it. Then on the bottom, you can place an outdoor approved heat pad or even a self warming mat. I would always start with an exit and entrance and then patch up one of them later on. Here is a picture.

1671761723984.png

1671761742669.png

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try everything. The food being too close may be an issue since it attracts predators so taking any uneaten food up at regular times might help but the advice given is all excellent! I use a good brand of catnip as a lure a lot. No additives to it, straight catnip. I am trying out various brands lately but Feline First seems to be the favorite of all. Yeow is well liked too. Just got some Frisco brand and Van Ness to try since both are chopped ( not ground to fine powder) straight catnip brands. I love the suggestion of the Dr. Elseys cat attract! Great idea! Make sure your tarps are tied down tightly so the wind doesn’t cause them to make a lot of noise. If you change straw again, try leaving a small bit that still carries cat scent on it.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
[QUOTE="4theloveofcats, post: 56
My area of DC burbs is facing a sudden freeze up and then historically cold temps this weekend.
I am scared for these young kittehs because they have very short fur (seems like they have Abyssinian mixed in)
[/QUOTE]
I see you got some good advice. The members here know their stuff when it comes to helping ferals. I've lived all of my life in the DC burbs. When I lived in Waldorf I had a rather large colony of ferals. I had containers all over my back yard and I had an old shed filled with stray or hay for them to sleep in. I knew I didn't have enough for all the cats and a co-worker told me her parents had a farm and they would put straw or hay under a structure to help keep some of their animals warm. I put some hay under my deck and it did get used by some cats.

I had some "trash pandas" that would come up and eat the cat food but they never bothered any of the containers. However, my bother put out containers here in Ferdericksburg and the raccoons pooped in them and tore them to pieces.

Good luck with keeping your kitties warm over the holidays. I just saw on the news that it is suppose to get down to 11 degrees on Sunday.

I love the pictures of your two orange cats hugging each other.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Heated pads will lure them in when they feel the heat. I run outdoor extension cords to mine. The heat also dries any moisture they bring in with them. I buy the little K&H heated huts, they are expensive at first but fold up and last for years. they will not use them if racoons and other cats get too close, I would hesitate to use any kind of attraction if other cats are around, it would lure them in too! so move the food or the shelters farther apart. That may help. If it gets cold enough they will usually use them. Straw under the porch may help too. My cats are in minus 15 degree weather right now with 40-50 MPH winds, a minus 60 degree wind chill. They don't come out of their huts except to eat and pee!

4theloveofcats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
sterlite clear storage boxes
sterlite with reflectix and/or mylar is go great. the colony here used to be a lot bigger and I would go all out with a set up for 12 ferals.
thanks for reminding me about them.

I use a good brand of catnip as a lure a lot. No additives to it, straight catnip. I am trying out various brands lately but Feline First seems to be the favorite of all. Yeow is well liked too............ Make sure your tarps are tied down tightly so the wind doesn’t cause them to make a lot of noise. If you change straw again, try leaving a small bit that still carries cat scent on it.
thanks. I've got about 24 oz of assorted catnip on hand. Definitely scattering some in the containers. The wind here is nuts right now so I am going to be tying and securing everything down shortly.

Good luck with keeping your kitties warm over the holidays. I just saw on the news that it is suppose to get down to 11 degrees on Sunday.

I love the pictures of your two orange cats hugging each other.
Thanks. I see the "real feel" forecast as 2 degrees. Fingers crossed I give some kittehs some warmth. I myself don't have heat this weekend after 3 days of HVAC techs failing to fix the brand new boiler, but at least I have space heaters, cozy blankets, and yummy food. But sitll better than trapped in a car or sleeping on a floor in an airport!

Heated pads will lure them in when they feel the heat. I run outdoor extension cords to mine..... My cats are in minus 15 degree weather right now with 40-50 MPH winds, a minus 60 degree wind chill. They don't come out of their huts except to eat and pee!
Well I have an outdoor rated heavy duty extension cord and the new huge outdoor mat ready to go. Just trying to figure out the best configuration.
Hugs and virtual snorgles to your kittehs! I try to not think about all the ferals North and West of me who deal with such extremes. Hope they all have their winter coats![/QUOTE]

suh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I used to have those and the ferals loved them too. Then some really rude trash pandas partied in them and wrecked them. I decided to blow some money and just got petco to do a same delivery of this large outdoor heated mat. At least it was 58 dollars off.
I officially have one resident raccoon. This raccoon didn't leave the cooler shelter until 7am, and came back to sleep again at 10am. Sometimes there are 2 at night, one in A-frame and one in cooler. Cats don't dare to use the shelters anymore :updown: We are contemplating taking them down.

4theloveofcats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I officially have one resident raccoon. This raccoon didn't leave the cooler shelter until 7am, and came back to sleep again at 10am. Sometimes there are 2 at night, one in A-frame and one in cooler. Cats don't dare to use the shelters anymore :updown: We are contemplating taking them down.
A friend was able to fake out the trash pandas by blocking the entrances at night for a week or so. Also made sure food was out for ferals only during the daylight. Plus they positioned solar spotlights to the sides of the shelters since raccoons dislike bright light.

suh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A friend was able to fake out the trash pandas by blocking the entrances at night for a week or so. Also made sure food was out for ferals only during the daylight. Plus they positioned solar spotlights to the sides of the shelters since raccoons dislike bright light.
Already tried and failed. I blocked the cooler entrance with bricks, the raccoon got so upset it threw the bricks to the ground, even removed the frame on the circular entrance, and made a mess of the straw(a proper temper tantrum lol). We have our strays on a feeding schedule and motion-sensing lights in our yard. I think they just feel way too much security in our area, they are not afraid of much. I took most shelters down except one and raised it higher, going to see how that goes.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
sterlite with reflectix and/or mylar is go great. the colony here used to be a lot bigger and I would go all out with a set up for 12 ferals.
thanks for reminding me about them.

thanks. I've got about 24 oz of assorted catnip on hand. Definitely scattering some in the containers. The wind here is nuts right now so I am going to be tying and securing everything down shortly.

Thanks. I see the "real feel" forecast as 2 degrees. Fingers crossed I give some kittehs some warmth. I myself don't have heat this weekend after 3 days of HVAC techs failing to fix the brand new boiler, but at least I have space heaters, cozy blankets, and yummy food. But sitll better than trapped in a car or sleeping on a floor in an airport!

Well I have an outdoor rated heavy duty extension cord and the new huge outdoor mat ready to go. Just trying to figure out the best configuration.
Hugs and virtual snorgles to your kittehs! I try to not think about all the ferals North and West of me who deal with such extremes. Hope they all have their winter coats!
[/QUOTE]
:clap::clap2::salam::heartshape:You are so great taking care of the kittys while you yourself are dealing with your heating issue.:grouphug::grouphug2::touched:

4theloveofcats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thought I'd update on winterized box sitch since most of the Northeast and Mid Atlantic are facing extreme cold/winds this weekend. One of the feral boys I wrote about still pops up every day. But he never took to the boxes. Mainly concentrate on giving him lots of fresh food and water. I am hoping the other one who was tad more social and honestly a lot better looking found himself a home. (I know it's delusional, but for my mental health I want to believe he ended up okay)
What's bemusing is I checked the boxes and at least two of them have been used by some critter(s) so I'm glad it's not a total waste of time.
If anyone sees this, I have a question about wool. I found an extra sterlite container and some old wool sweaters. I have room to place it under a windbreaker tarp/barrier I have set up. I know I can'y leave the wool out there indefinitely, but will it keep some potential kittehs warm for at least few days before I need to check it for moisture/freezing?
Thanks