Fresh Step litter very dusty.

Frank123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have been using Fresh Step Ultra Unscented cat litter since I first got my older cat over two years ago and never really noticed any issues.
However, it seems like the last couple or so boxes has been producing a lot of dust. Every time I scoop the litter, it produces a noticeable cloud of dust.
Kind of ironic since it claims to be low dust formula.
Anyone else who uses FS notice this?

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do, and I love it. But I do use the scented. It is, really, dusty. Never mind the advertising. (That reminds me of a floor wax 40 years ago that advertised it "guards against black heel marks" when the truth was it was the only kind that caused black heel marks).

Anyhoo, its ability to cancel the odor of poop outweighs the dust. I am very careful in pouring it in the box and in scooping, and the dust is minimum. You must be scooping very vigorously if it makes a cloud of dust. Do it a little more gently, and then you can answer the thread about a cure for a stinky litter box.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I too use FS Ultra Unscented and have also noticed just recently it is more dusty than it used to be. Previous versions were dusty, and that is when I started the with Ultra Unscented because it was much better. But, the cloud of dust occurs every time I add a bit more to the litterbox - the farther away from the litter when I add it, the bigger the dust cloud. I don't notice it so much while scooping though. And, since Feeby isn't much of a digger, I don't seem to notice any dust when she uses the box. So while I am a bit disappointed that it is now dustier than it once was, I will continue to use it and just be more careful when changing out the litter box or when adding more to the existing litter.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Frank123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
"its ability to cancel the odor of poop outweighs the dust."
And that's why I've been using this brand of litter. It does a great job of masking odors.

"You must be scooping very vigorously if it makes a cloud of dust."
Guilty as charged. I do scoop down deep to scrape the bottom of the litter box.

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use Fresh Step Ultra Unscented and yes, I find it to be a total dust cloud. However, I smell NO odor ever, my cat never fails to use it, so I deal with the cloud.