throwing up white foam

Catmom1234567890

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi there, my kitty cat had endoscopic procedure and an abdominal surgery to remove massive hairball blockage back to back in which she almost died from bleeding. She's not out of the woods yet as her recovery is ever so slow. We found out she has a clotting issue. That is why she continued to bled post op. I'm not happy how the surgeon handled the situation. I'm pretty sure she bled a lot during surgery. Surgeon denies all.

Now, she's home recovering, she's been throwing up white foam daily. No food particle, or yellowish bile, it is just white foam. What is causing her to throw up white foam. She has never vomited foam prior to surgery.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
White foam usually indicates indigestion or gastritis, some sort of inflammation. There are other causes, but more than likely they do not pertain to your cat as you have been taking such careful care of her. Is she eating? Given that she did have an endoscopy and surgery, I would keep the vet aware of what is going on so that he can help you to treat her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catmom1234567890

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We are feeding her smaller portions 4 times a day. She is only eating 3 oz of food. Vet prescribed Hill's ID to help with digestion. She is taking ton of meds at the moment. Yunnan Baiyo, metronidazole, sucralfate, vitamin K, and omeprazole. All to help with clotting or help with stomach issue. very sad, still very lethargic and depressed.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
There is a lot going on and she is taking a lot of meds. Probably all of this is adding up to indigestion

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, that white foam is something usually caused from indigestion and is often taken care of by the use of Pepcid A/C (ok to use in cats). However, based on everything else she is taking, I would definitely discuss this issue with your Vet and see what they say. I would think the sucralfate would help. Is there any way you can get her to eat a little bit more, say in the middle of the night? I'm guessing she vomits this foam in the early morning,right? That's when it normally happens. That's the longest time without food (normally) Even if you can get her to eat just a bit then, it would be helpful. I used to feed my sick girl that way, and it really helped. I kept a small bowl of her food in a ziploc bag on my nightstand and woke up and fed it to her half way through the night. It was wet food too. You could go either wet or dry. Plus it would get a little more food into her.

Catmom1234567890

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, that white foam is something usually caused from indigestion and is often taken care of by the use of Pepcid A/C (ok to use in cats). However, based on everything else she is taking, I would definitely discuss this issue with your Vet and see what they say. I would think the sucralfate would help. Is there any way you can get her to eat a little bit more, say in the middle of the night? I'm guessing she vomits this foam in the early morning,right? That's when it normally happens. That's the longest time without food (normally) Even if you can get her to eat just a bit then, it would be helpful. I used to feed my sick girl that way, and it really helped. I kept a small bowl of her food in a ziploc bag on my nightstand and woke up and fed it to her half way through the night. It was wet food too. You could go either wet or dry. Plus it would get a little more food into her.
Thank you so much for your suggestion. Yes, white foam vomit happens in the morning after she eats small bits of food. I'm hoping I can discontinue Yunnan Baiyo. It is a human-size capsule with a strong Chinese herbal smell.

Catmom1234567890

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My kitty has been throwing up white foam daily and now it is mixed with food. It can't be hairball because she just had laparotomy which was a total failure and the following week she had abdominal surgery which almost killed her. It's been a roller coaster ride ever since and at one point we were considering putting her down when she was admitted to ER with PCV 11%. We ended up saving her but now daily vomiting is another concern.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Just out of curiosity, have you tried the suggestion from mrsgreenjeens mrsgreenjeens in her above post? Definitely follow-up with your vet and express your concerns to him/her. I understand your frustration and would want some answers too. :hugs:

Catmom1234567890

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I did not start Pepcid as she is on omprezole, I will give small amount of food in the middle of night.

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Cats also spit up white foam when they have a nasty taste in their mouth. Go to 5:58