Freezing Corn

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have some ears of fresh bi-color corn that I want to freeze off the cob. Usually I blanch the corn and freeze it whole on the cob. I have read it works well to cut it off the cob and freeze it unbalanced. Does anyone here do this.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Personally, I'm not a fan of freezing unblanched corn. I don't know, it seems to have a bit of a weird taste to it when I get it back out of the freezer and cook it. It's probably just me. I don't know, we froze it unblanched one year and didn't care for it.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love fresh sweet corn, and every year I buy a couple dozen of the gourmet super sweet stuff from our local farmer's market and freeze it. I have to agree with Pam, and would not try freezing it unblanched. I've always just quickly blanched it whole, then cut the kernels off and frozen them in handy sized bags.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I blanched my ears and froze most of it on the cob. I cut some corn off the cob, added a bit of water and cooked it in a pot for a few minutes. I put it in freezer bags. I decided not to risk losing my good corn.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know, I just think unblanched frozen corn has a "funky" taste to it. I can't describe it, other than to say "funky". It tastes weird.

I'm glad you blanched it.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah, I think you'll definitely be glad you stuck with blanching it!