Freezing canned food?

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Can canned food be safely frozen? I'm trying some Rawz Rabbit with my cat and he seems to like it but I'm introducing very slowly and it's expensive ($3.29 per 5.5 oz. can). I can't get the smaller 3 oz. cans here. Wondering if I can safely freeze half of the can so it doesn't all go to waste.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
I freeze canned food all the time. We do homemade raw primarily, but my husband and I sometimes work long hours. I freeze small portions of canned food in a covered ice cube tray and then pop out the portions into a timed feeder when I leave for work in the morning so they get a canned meal for lunch when we aren’t there (probably 3-4 days of the week).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Excellent. I figured it was ok but wanted to be sure. Thanks.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did that few times, but my cats wanted nothing to do with it while thawed :( texture is a big deal for my girl and I'm guessing freezing changes it so it wasn't a good solution for me. Although now that they are used to eating frozen raw, maybe I can try it again with the canned..

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
I did that few times, but my cats wanted nothing to do with it while thawed :( texture is a big deal for my girl and I'm guessing freezing changes it so it wasn't a good solution for me. Although now that they are used to eating frozen raw, maybe I can try it again with the canned..
One of my cats will sit and lick a frozen cube of canned food until she devours the whole thing. This is why I started using a timed feeder.