Freezer Size Question

sophie1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What's the smallest size freezer that can hold a 55 lb Hare Today order?

I'm finally breaking down and will get one, but trying to decide between a 2.1 cubic foot model that will fit nicely into a corner in my kitchen, vs a 3.0 cubic foot model that costs only $10 more but will be awkward to find a spot for.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I’ve read that you can put about 35-40 lbs. per cubic foot, but that you need to estimate on the low side or lower if you’re storing odd-shaped packages.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I could have sworn there was a thread not too long ago that discussed a similar question but I'm not finding it.
Personally I think i'd go with the freezer that fits, since any packages that don't fit could be squeezed into the freezer that's in your frig?

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can fit the bigger one, get it. Things will not fit perfectly next to each other like legos. The grinds are going to be chubbs so the space usage wont be perfectly efficent because of that too. Also, how large are your batches going to be? If you're going to make larger batches you'll need the extra freezer space too. I recently got a 7 cuft one and and it comfortably fit left over 28 pounds of meat from HT and over 50 pounds of food filled in mason jars.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sophie1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Going with the Danby 2.8 cubic foot chest freezer, with a footprint of 17" x 24" and also very energy efficient. My biggest problem really is the electrical wiring some of which dates to 1924, and I'm limited to around 20 amps total for my whole apartment. This one is very efficient, uses only 130 kwH/year.

It helps to get the 1 lb chubs and make them one at a time. That'll be a lot easier now with the new HT blends!!

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
If you haven’t used a chest freezer before, you might find it helps to get a small magnetic whiteboard to keep track of what you’ve put in and what you’ve pulled out. I had to do that when I got mine because I couldn’t remember what I had and what I’d used! I have chubs under chubs and it cuts down a bit on the freezer “diving” looking for something that might not be there. :)

dhammagirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I got a Magic Chef 3.5cu ft chest freezer, and my 55lb HT order just fits. I’ve had it a couple years, it’s worked out well. I get 5lb chubs, 1lb chubs, bags of rabbit chunks and whole mice. It just takes a little fitting in like a tetris game, but it fits.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our goal was to get to fit this
46 qt. Weathertight Tote Clear SKU#: 10050819 19-3/4" x 15-3/4" x 11-7/8" h
From The Container Store
into a freezer that would allow the shelves to move to accommodate it, plus hold hold like 40 more pounds of meat, and then household stuff.

That container keeps the ice cubes trays full of their portions airtight

The layout of this freezer worked out great https://www.lowes.com/pd/Whirlpool-...eversible-Door-Upright-Freezer-White/50276227

This is the secondary freezer downstairs Sears.com

sophie1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you haven’t used a chest freezer before, you might find it helps to get a small magnetic whiteboard to keep track of what you’ve put in and what you’ve pulled out. I had to do that when I got mine because I couldn’t remember what I had and what I’d used! I have chubs under chubs and it cuts down a bit on the freezer “diving” looking for something that might not be there. :)
Good tip! I could also just alternate chub types when I pack them in. I have the idea to use it as an extra countertop, and only dive into it a couple times a month to restock my regular freezer.

I figured the chest freezer would pack more efficiently, because there's no wasted space between shelves.

everariana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What's the smallest size freezer that can hold a 55 lb Hare Today order?

I'm finally breaking down and will get one, but trying to decide between a 2.1 cubic foot model that will fit nicely into a corner in my kitchen, vs a 3.0 cubic foot model that costs only $10 more but will be awkward to find a spot for.
I know I’m months late but did the 2.1 cu ft freezer fit the 55 lb Hare Today order? I just ordered 41 lbs of ground meat and 10 lbs of parts like heart, gizzard, chicken necks. But now I’m worried that my 4 cu ft. freezer won’t fit the 51 lbs...I can remove the main shelf but there’s non removable shelves on the door :/

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
I know I’m months late but did the 2.1 cu ft freezer fit the 55 lb Hare Today order? I just ordered 41 lbs of ground meat and 10 lbs of parts like heart, gizzard, chicken necks. But now I’m worried that my 4 cu ft. freezer won’t fit the 51 lbs...I can remove the main shelf but there’s non removable shelves on the door :/
You should be okay. The rule of thumb is 35 lbs. per cubic foot of freezer space. Here’s something from the Lowe’s freezer buying guide, but several sites say the same:

“If you buy in bulk, a freezer is an excellent choice; 1 cubic foot of freezer space accommodates approximately 35 pounds of food.”

sophie1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I got the 3 cubic foot Danby chest freezer and found a spot for it in a different room. It's been a game changer! It fits a 55 lb Hare Today order easily, although that takes up almost the whole freezer. I don't believe the 2.1 cubic foot model would have had the space. The problem is that the round chubs are space inefficient, even though I order the 1 lb chubs which pack more efficiently than the larger ones. Hoping one day Tracy will consider rectangular boxes instead of the chubs.

I highly recommend this freezer. It is very quiet and draws no more power than a 60 watt bulb. My apartment has at most 20 amps TOTAL (old building with electrical system last updated in the 1950s) and that has to power 2 A/Cs in the summer as well as my fridge, vacuum cleaner, microwave etc.

BTW...if your cats like rabbit, put in your HT order now. They're going to run out of rabbit soon and there will be no more until spring.