Freeze Dried Raw

mrw5641

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi all! I was wondering if anyone has been given they cat freeze dried raw? Is it expensive? What has been your experience? How long does a bag last?

My cat can stand to lose a bit of weight and according to Stella & Chewy's there food 1 CUP only has 2% of carbs if fed wet. vs. 5% if fed dry, which even so, is 20% less carbs than the Farmina I am giving him now.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I do feed freeze dried raw nuggets occasionally. I buy Primal which is around $30 a bag depending on the protein. I only feed it as a snack so a bag lasts a few months. I smash a nugget up into powder and then add water. My cat usually ends up eating soup but he's not fussy and extra water is always good.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrw5641

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat is picky, I didn't smash into power, I just put a little b it of water on it. Would probably say its good for weight loss

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Little round freeze dried raw pieces probably don't need to be smashed. The Primal nuggets are pretty big so smashing it into powder helps the food rehydrate better in water.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Freeze dried raw is definitely more expensive than fresh or frozen raw, but is much more convenient. I use it for one of my guys who is consistently on a diet. I do rehydrate it because it's better for him that way. Cats typically don't drink enough water, so he gets it in his food when it's rehydrated. A cat can lose weight by eating fewer calories, no matter what they are eating, but if it's mainly meat vs carbs they will feel more full, so it's less "painful" for them :wink:

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was excited to include Stella & Chewy rabbit in my kitty's rotation as I transitioned her to adult food. I bought a small bag to test it and then, when she seemed to like it, the larger more expensive bag. That was, of course, the kiss of death. I can't get her to eat it anymore. I tried rehydrating with bone broth and that worked a few times, but I have given up, at least temporarily. I still have the unopened larger bag, and I haven't decided whether to donate or give it another go at a later point.

To me, the hard thing about dehydrated raw is that you can't (or shouldn't, I think) mix it with wet food. I've gotten my kitty to eat canned food she had otherwise turned her nose up at, by mixing a small amount in with another food she likes and then very very gradually reversing the proportions (slower than necessary for gut adjustment purposes). With raw, I gather that's not recommended.