Freeze Dried Raw Question

sarah430

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Can you feed freeze dried raw without hydrating it first? I’m thinking as a treat so not a full serving — maybe just a few pieces.

My cats are otherwise fed commercial frozen raw with the occasional freeze dried treat (NW Naturals Raw Rewards) that isn’t formulated to be rehydrated.
My cats love regular crap dried food but I know it’s not good for them so thinking of alternatives.

Thank You!!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can you feed freeze dried raw without hydrating it first? I’m thinking as a treat so not a full serving — maybe just a few pieces.

Sure. It's no different than freeze dried treats. For a meal, you should rehydrate the pieces before serving but a couple of pieces as a treat is fine dry.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sure. It's no different than freeze dried treats. For a meal, you should rehydrate the pieces before serving but a couple of pieces as a treat is fine dry.
I completely agree with LTS3. We used to feed a few Northwest Naturals pieces as a night-time snack. It works really well for that. (And, rehydrated, for meals!)

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
And the pieces are just the right size for treats! (I stopped buying it when the pandemic hit but need to reintroduce it, it's very good stuff.)
I do snip it into smaller pieces because my two 17-year-olds and my toothless 7-year-old all struggle a bit with the larger pieces. I save any that shred and use the shreds as a topper when someone gets finicky about a particular meal. (Cats: “Finicky? Us? Nonsense. We just have discerning palates.” :lol: )

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do snip it into smaller pieces because my two 17-year-olds and my toothless 7-year-old all struggle a bit with the larger pieces. I save any that shred and use the shreds as a topper when someone gets finicky about a particular meal. (Cats: “Finicky? Us? Nonsense. We just have discerning palates.” :lol: )
These were very popular as treats and bribes after Krista had her remaining teeth removed. They were soft enough that she could gum her way through them.
FELINE NATURAL Booster Lamb Green Tripe Freeze-Dried Cat Food Topper, 2-oz bag - Chewy.com

And they are single ingredient making it very easy to know whether that one ingredient agreed with her or not.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise