freeze dried products

Bird

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use Stella & Chewy's freeze dried morsels, which are complete and can be used as meals. They are quite expensive, so I use them as an occasional snack rather than regular meals. I rehydrate them. I also use the Instinct freeze dried toppers as just that-- I put a few as toppers on wet food. As someone already mentioned, you want to be aware of the bone content in freeze dried, which is to be minimized or avoided if a cat has constipation or renal issues.

FredMD

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also pitching in to say that freeze dried minnows are very nice healthy treats for your kitties :> The bones are much too small and delicate to be causing any issues, especially when completely covered by the rest of the fish.

However, I would caution everyone about freeze dried or dehydrated treats that have larger bones, like rabbit feet or duck necks, which are pretty commonly sold, at least in -ha- my neck of the woods. Even raw rabbit feet can be dangerous due to the hollow bones, but duck necks, despite being safe raw, will acquire a similar fragility in their bones as cooked bones will, so they're a bit too prone to splintering to be safe, imo.
My cat can't have chicken, what do you think about raw (not freeze dried) duck feet? would the hollow bones still be an issue?
And what would be a good freeze-dried product for cats, specifically for dental benefits?

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat can't have chicken, what do you think about raw (not freeze dried) duck feet? would the hollow bones still be an issue?
And what would be a good freeze-dried product for cats, specifically for dental benefits?
Oh wow, not been here for ages!

I'm not sure about duck feet, honestly. Would depend on both the size of the feet, and the size of your cat.The best dental treat is raw gizzard. You could get turkey or duck, if it's available to you. Freeze-dried wise, I'm honestly unsure what would retain the appropriate texture :(

FredMD

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh wow, not been here for ages!

I'm not sure about duck feet, honestly. Would depend on both the size of the feet, and the size of your cat.The best dental treat is raw gizzard. You could get turkey or duck, if it's available to you. Freeze-dried wise, I'm honestly unsure what would retain the appropriate texture :(
Thanks for responding! Yep, one of my cats loves the turkey gizzard and chews on it for 20 minutes! The other won't touch them BUT I have duck gizzards/feet on the way from raw feed Miami so fingers crossed!