Freeze Dried Food- Does It Have To Be Rehydrated?

Pjg8r

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i bought some Stella freeze dried nuggets today. Can I give them each a nugget as a snack dry or must this food be rehydrated? It would only be as a snack a few times a week. Their main food will continue to be canned.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A dry nugget is fine as a treat or mini snack. You may want to add extra water to the canned food on the days when you feed freeze dried raw just to prevent possible constipation.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
:yeah: I do exactly what LTS3 LTS3 said. I give dry Feline Naturals (sometimes dry Stella and Chewy) as treats, then add extra water to their food to make up for it. So far, so good.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We feed freeze-dried for meals and yes, it has to be rehydrated. But it's absolutely fine to feed small amounts as treats or toppers or, as LTS3 LTS3 put it, mini-snacks, in fact they're great for that because they're fully supplemented.

That said, I'd be particularly careful to add water to Stella & Chewy's because it's generally pretty bony, which can lead to constipation. I only use very small amounts of S&C for that reason, plus the phosphorus levels have been pretty high in the past.

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I give a couple dry S&C nuggets every night as a treat. If it was a full meal it would be better rehydrated, but I don't find treats to be a problem.

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
It all depends how much freeze dried and how well your cat drinks. if your cat drinks well, it is less of an issue than if your cat rarely visits the water bowl.