Freeze Dried Cat Treats

HotRos

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has IBD so I’m trying a new diet. He seems to be doing well on the wet food. However, he loves his treats. I found Vital Cat freeze dried chicken giblets in a store.
Is there a trick to feeding this to my cat? They seem really hard. Like I couldn’t even cut them with my kitchen scissors. Am I supposed to wet them? He’s very uninterested in them. Not sure if it’s bc they are hard or bc he wants his old ones.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats like crunchy treats. Some don’t. There are plenty of freeze dried treats to choose from if he’s uninterested in these. My Krista loved these tripe treats from Feline Naturals that were soft enough for her after the last of her teeth were removed due to FORLs. My current kitty, Betty, she enjoys crunchy rabbit bites from Hare Kitty. You can even look in the dog training section of the store for more treat ideas. As long as freeze dried meat is the only ingredient, it doesn’t matter whether it was packaged for cats or dogs.

FELINE NATURAL Booster Lamb Green Tripe Freeze-Dried Cat Food Topper, 2-oz bag - Chewy.com

https://www.petcarerx.com/kitty-kitty-hare-100-freeze-dried-rabbit-treat/37318

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

HotRos

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the recs! He loves the treats we were buying from Walmart. Most of the time, they were crunchy. Hoping to find a good option for him that helps his tummy problems.
Everytime we go into the kitchen at night, he runs in and sits under the treat cabinet and meows until we give him a treat. So it’s very important to him and I that he gets them.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Vital Cat has other treats which may be more appealing to your cat and easier for you to crush up: Vital Cat Freeze Dried Cat Treats | Vital Essentials

I feed these: Raw Rewards Freeze Dried Treats for Dogs & Cats | Northwest Naturals

Some proteins are just kind of hard when freeze dried. Some dogs and cats like them, others not so much. Chicken and most poultry meat (not organs) are usually easy to crush up if needed. I use a can of soup to crush up freeze dried treat and raw food. A heavy pot or a hammer would also work.

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
For freeze dried, my cat really likes Wysong Dream Treats or their Archetype Raw Quail Diet. I too have found that if they are really hard brands that she won't eat them, but the Dream and Quail seem to be softer.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My cats do not like the freeze dried giblets at all, but they do enjoy the freeze dried chicken breast. I typically buy Life Essentials brand, but Purebites is one that is good too. I always buy the larger dog sized bags because I know they'll eat them. I use them as toppers too for my picky eater.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat has IBD so I’m trying a new diet. He seems to be doing well on the wet food. However, he loves his treats. I found Vital Cat freeze dried chicken giblets in a store.
Is there a trick to feeding this to my cat? They seem really hard. Like I couldn’t even cut them with my kitchen scissors. Am I supposed to wet them? He’s very uninterested in them. Not sure if it’s bc they are hard or bc he wants his old ones.
I buy Orijen freeze dried treats at a small pet store. They are soft so easily crushed. Chicken chicken liver turkey turkey hearts and gizzard. Only ingredients. Also have venison and lamb

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My cats love Pure Bites. They like the chicken and duck varieties. I buy them on Amazon but Chewy, Petsmart and Petco sell them too.

They also like the American Journey freeze dried chicken treats from Chewy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

HotRos

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you everyone! Looks like I have some research to do. I’m so dedicated to finding treats he’ll eat and that will hopefully be good for his IBD.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One of my cats has IBD and the Northwest Naturals treats in pork liver and bison liver work well for him. Any novel protein will be ok for IBD cats. Some IBD cats are sensitive to chicken / poultry so you may want to avoid that.