Freeing walking coonhound

cometica

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi I'm thinking of adopting a treeing walking coonhound from a animal shelter I volunteer at but they haven't tested her if she's good with cats yet. She's 2 yrs old and the shelter I volunteer at said they could cat test her to see if she's good around cats. I have three cats at home and one of them is a bit skittish the other two are pretty calm. All three have been around a dog before so having another dog around now will not scare them. I just don't know if it's better off getting a puppy or if the coonhound if found out to be good with cats will be a good choice.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS!  It's nice to meet you.   

I think it would depend on the dog herself.  The cat test will probably prove to be a major factor in helping you with your decision. 

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely have them test her with cats. Hounds have a high prey drive, especially from hunting lines. I owned a coonhound for 10 years (he had to be put down in December due to old age) and he was from hunting lines. But he was great with our cats.. he was raised with Miagi. If she ends up not being good with cats, I wouldn't risk your cat's lives. A puppy might be better but honestly dogs can have prey drive kick in as they get older so that's something to think about too. I love coonhounds.. and some can live with cats just fine but to be safe have them test her with cats before you make a decision.  :)

mkhtk79

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Some hunting dogs can get along with cats if raised together but as an adult it wouldnt be likely. It would probably see a cat as prey.