Free to roam makes indoor kitti jealous

Sa'ida Maryam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi , there is small colony of feral cats very close to where I live. I am (GW) getting a kitten soon. The neighbor across the street own one white feral. We were on vacation and that feral had jumped our gated front porch and delivered kittens. The neighhood soon started throwing food to the kittens who had set up residency on our front porch while we were away from home. Thankfully, a family member who check on things while we were away ,informed us of the situation.

The same neighhood ppl who threw the food, started complaining ‘bout the smell of uneaten garbage. The Cat and liter scurried back across the street before we returned to clean up the mess.:yelling:
Then we completely secured our porch from any thing or anyone

The problem is the neighborhood now has a colony of ferals. Roaming our street, I am afraid to deal with them as they are big,wild and maybe full of disease. No one is going to S/N. Ppl have begun to relocate them ie. dump them on some else’s street or porch :headshake:

My in door only kitten will have a front window view of the street ,trees and birds .
How can I reduce his stress when he sees one or two of the ferals lounging on top of cars across the street?

I thought about taking my kitten on walks in our pet backpack ,to see and smell out our block, and then just before he gets spayed he can go via leash and collar walking to do some of his own markings !:coolcat:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Find a rescue that will help with tnr. The strays might bother your new kitten and relocating does not help because they will come right back to their territory. It is highly unlikely that they have disease. But they can get a fatal disease if not taken care of. One is fatty liver disease. If not fixed,there will be more kittens. If one cat has fiv others could get it an pass it on to an owner of a cat. Hopefully your neighbors will help. Have a neighborly meeting. It is kitten season.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sa'ida Maryam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A neighborhood meeting would be ideal. A lot of work would be needed to form a Non -profit org. To S/N. I am getting mixed messages about the possible spread of disease. It seems ppl who care for ferals will argue that ferals don’t spread disease . Even animal shelter and rescue .org. Hide the fact that FIV is potentially passes on via deep bite of infected cats to humans and animals.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a gruesome video I wont show of a female cat rescued that had 3 huge sacs In her that had to be removed none of the kittens survived. If a brother and sister mate the kittens could be badly deformed. Also leukemia. So they are the ones to suffer if not taken care of. Thanks for caring. It is exciting to get a new kitten. Best of luck!

Last edited:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
A neighborhood meeting would be ideal. A lot of work would be needed to form a Non -profit org. To S/N. I am getting mixed messages about the possible spread of disease. It seems ppl who care for ferals will argue that ferals don’t spread disease . Even animal shelter and rescue .org. Hide the fact that FIV is potentially passes on via deep bite of infected cats to humans and animals.
You could print out an explanation of fiv,leukemia,uri. And pass it along