Free Feeding One Fat Cat/One Skinny

leeann77

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a 15 yr old skinny cat with hyperthyroidism that only eats dry and has free fed his entire life. Now I've also brought in a young, former feral that is getting obese! She will eat ANYTHING, canned and dry. I give her some canned because they say all dry is bad, but then she chows down on his dry food constantly.

I tried that expensive Sure Feed bowl that only opens it's cover with a microchip, but the problem was the OLDER cat had to learn it and he was scared of it, which meant he was eating even less. I got nervous and returned it. Too bad it doesn't work the other way, where it could be open all the time for him, then only close when the fat one comes up to it.

I don't think the older one will ever learn to eat "meals" at 15 yrs old, he eats three bites and just assumes he can come back to it later.

Does anyone have a similar situation and/or suggestions? I even bought a giant exercise wheel but haven't gotten her to use it yet. Thank you!!!!!

Lee Ann

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi LeeAnn - I had a similar problem with my two.  Please know that my two sweet kitties passed this past year, so I am her to support other members until another kitty adopts me. 

We had to keep the dry food for my boy furball on the counter so my female kitty who was pushing 20lbs wouldn't go near it.  He was on special food which was like chips to her.  Other than that there was no other way.  Simon was used to free feeding and wasn't over weight at all, and Chestnut who was adopted, was protective over her food but would go after his also.

It's a tough one.  I think others will respond with their tips for you.  Don't let it stress you out.  I know it did me for the first few months, I felt so bad for Simon but it worked itself out.

Please keep us updated.

Warm regards - Hope and my 2 angels Simon & Chestnut

hbunny

Cat herder - Pooper Scooper
Super Cat
Purraise
I have the same issue.  I have a 13 year old that needs to be able to free feed because he has vomiting issues if his tummy is empty for a long time, but I have an 18 pounder that is on a restricted diet.  My chubby baby will run my old guy out of his food, even if I feed them the exact same thing, and my old guy who is grumpy and possessive about everything else in the house will just quit eating and walk off and let him have it!  The one thing I wish he would stand his ground over he won't.

I've done the same, putting his dry sensitive stomach food up on the counter in the bathroom, and so far it's worked out well.  I also put his wet food morning and night up on a table and sit him up there to eat, and at least he has peace eating there too.  Chubbs doesn't normally jump up on anything, but if he gets really REALLY hangry he has gotten up on the bathroom counter to get to the dry.  But it's a rare occasion.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Another suggestion might be to put HIS bowl in a place where SHE can't reach it, like behind a door that's closed just enough that his thin body can squeeze thru, but her bulkier one can't
  It might take quite a bit of adjusting to get it right, but CAN be done, because one of our member was able to do something when she fostered a HUGE cat and helped him lose at least 14 pounds!

sassyspapa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have an indoor exclusive cat, and we got fleas somehow. Got that knocked out, but she lost alot of weight. Doctors recommended she be at least 12 pounds because of her breed. What kind of food can I feed her to put the weight back on. She is currently eating Boots and Barkley from Target.

sassyspapa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have an indoor exclusive cat, and we got fleas somehow. Got that knocked out, but she lost alot of weight. Doctors recommended she be at least 12 pounds because of her breed. What kind of food can I feed her to put the weight back on. She is currently eating Boots and Barkley from Target.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Fleas don't cause weight loss, sounds like it's time for a blood panel to be done, also ask for the T-4 to check for hyperthyroidism, which is common and causes weight loss despite a good appetite.

You can get high calorie A/D canned from the vet, that will put the weight on and pretty fast too.

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What's A/D canned food?
It's a prescription food that is made by Hill's.  Your Vet probably sells it, or can write a prescription for it and you can then purchase it it certain Petsmarts.  But, you can also just look for high calorie cat food.  Most cat food has the calories written on the cans.  Look around at stores like petco or petsmart for the highest calorie cat food and feed that.  You can also try adding in egg yolks to her food...just mix it right into the food.  They are very nutritious and high in calories.

Did your Vet run blood work with she lost the weight?  As Catwoman707 said, fleas don't normally cause cats to lose weight, so if she didn't get a thorough check-up, she needs one to see WHY she lost the weight.  That is not normal.