Free Dementia Course

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I've posted about this in the past, but it's on again.
The University of Tasmania offers this online course free of charge to anyone interested in Dementia.
It's basic but very good:

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for posting this..my mom has what the Dr calls mild dementia...But im sure its not mild ANYMORE...Cause that was a few yrs back diagnosis:(

Jemima Lucca

Forever a feline fan💕
Super Cat
Purraise
I’m not sure if it’s free but there’s a woman by the name of Teepa Snow and she’s amazing and also an expert in all facets of the different types of dementia. She’s got many videos and does conferences teaching caregivers, including loved ones, how to help people dementia. I’m going to also check out these that you’ve mentioned Mani. Thank you for sharing and caring ❤🙏🏻

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
Jemima Lucca Jemima Lucca , I'm not sure whether it's too late to enrol in this one, but they have them regularly. I'm working my way through the first part now. It would be fun if members here did it together, but I don't think it would work this time.

Jemima Lucca

Forever a feline fan💕
Super Cat
Purraise
Jemima Lucca Jemima Lucca , I'm not sure whether it's too late to enrol in this one, but they have them regularly. I'm working my way through the first part now. It would be fun if members here did it together, but I don't think it would work this time.
Let me know when it happens again. I could possibly get credit for keeping current with my required dementia training. Thank you for sharing 🙏🏻

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll tell my son. He deals with it daily at the mental hospital he works at.
Although, he may already know the stuff taught if it's a basic course.

ETA: He is very interested, so I sent him the link.
Thank you.

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
I just finished the course. It was well worth it. :)
Hold onto the links above if you're interested as it's free, there's normally a couple a year, with other, shorter options, and the people who run it are delightful.

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
Oh, and Jemima Lucca Jemima Lucca , I'm using it for some of my Professional Development points as a yoga teacher, as I have elderly students. I'm sure you could use it. Tasmania University is very credible :)

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Can we self take the test or does someone have to do it for us? I feel like I'm the one who should be taking the test and not my Mom. I'm starting to doubt some of the things I'm doing lately.

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
It's not a test, although there are tests at the end of each module. It's a course about dementia written by a university in Tasmania that has been doing a huge amount of research on the subject. It's for anyone who is interested. I did it for PD points but found it very interesting.

Jemima Lucca

Forever a feline fan💕
Super Cat
Purraise
It's not a test, although there are tests at the end of each module. It's a course about dementia written by a university in Tasmania that has been doing a huge amount of research on the subject. It's for anyone who is interested. I did it for PD points but found it very interesting.
Thanks for reminding me about this! For sure I’ll look into the course. Dementia is and will continue to be an issue every country will need to delve into as our populations age. We’re learning more and more about dementia but we need tools that help. Knowledge empowers us to be creative in dealing with this population.