FREAKING OUT!!!!

oreocookie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so, so, so, so stupid :(  I did not realize the kittens could get into the litter pan (it is big), but today  I went into the room to spend time with them and found one in the litter box EATING the litter!!!!!!!  I had clumping clay litter (Arm-N-Hammer) and this baby had it all over his mouth and in his mouth!  I freaked out and used my finger and a cloth to clean him off and wash out his mouth, but I know he ate some.  I have no idea how much or if they had all been eating it before now?  Do I need to take them to a vet?  Do I just keep an eye on them, if so what do I look for as possible issues?  I have changed the litter to a newspaper base (Yesterdays News brand), is this safe if they eat it?  WHY in the world would this kitten eat the litter??????  They are so active now (three weeks old) and I thought I had done such a good job "kitten proofing" the room:(  I can just envision this litter clumping up and blocking his intestine!!!  

catnamedpanda

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know what to look for if there is a blockage. Kittens at that age are like babies they explore with their mouths. I don't think I have ever had a kitten who didn't taste litter when they started exploring the box. I always use non-clumping litter so it is safe. I don't know if yesterday's news is non-clumping but I would guess it is much safer than clumping clay. With that said the first kittens I had in my house I didn't know about the clumping thing and had tidy cats in the box. They tasted it and were fine, but you never know... I would call the e-vet and ask them what you should look for if it was going to cause a problem. My e-vet is always willing to offer advice instead of insisting I bring them in, unless they really need to come in.

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes kittens will eat the litter when first exploring and your instincts are right that ingesting too much of the clumping formula can cause an intestinal blockage. I don't know either what signs would be. My GUESS (but I emphasize I don't know firsthand nor have I read anything on possible symptoms) would be an inability to poop or difficulty when trying to go, lethargy, crying, and a distended belly. Since you don't know how much they may have eaten I would call the vet just to be safe. If nothing else they may be able to give you an idea of what to watch out for. Yesterday's news is non-toxic and non-clumping so you should be safe should they continue to taste their litter. 

I hope they didn't eat too much and are okay!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

oreocookie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you both for the replies. I called the vet and they said to look for any signs of distress, such as not nursing, not playing, lying around and otherwise not acting as if they feel good. The vet said chances are it was not enough to do harm, but just to watch them for a few days. The Yesterday News was said to be safe by the vet.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a scare for you, hope all turns out ok.

I don't use clumping litter at all, even for the adults the risks just aren't worth it (let alone the dust and expense). I use wood pellets which are safe for all, the paper litters can also cause blockages there's one that's pellet form sold over here that kittens have blocked on, but still safer that clumping.

detmut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
New Orleans area (Metairie), Louisiana, United Sta
What a scare for you, hope all turns out ok.

I don't use clumping litter at all, even for the adults the risks just aren't worth it (let alone the dust and expense). I use wood pellets which are safe for all, the paper litters can also cause blockages there's one that's pellet form sold over here that kittens have blocked on, but still safer that clumping.
so, the wood pellets are safe to eat? 

eponaboo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I usually use clay litter for mum, but since the babies started roaming switched to wood pellets, mum isnt so keen on it though. Just wondering at what age its safe to switch back to the clay? Obviously the wood pellets are like 3 times the price of the clay so i wouldnt want to be using the expensive pellets any longer than i have to >_<

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I usually use clay litter for mum, but since the babies started roaming switched to wood pellets, mum isnt so keen on it though. Just wondering at what age its safe to switch back to the clay? Obviously the wood pellets are like 3 times the price of the clay so i wouldnt want to be using the expensive pellets any longer than i have to >_<
Anytime you have kittens you should not use a clay clumping litter as the risk of over ingestion is just too great. I don't use clay litters (other than kitten attract for older kittens with litterbox aversion) so I don't know but do they make a non-clumping clay formula? I think clay based litters are clumping by nature but you could check into that. 

What I use and have not had problems with (as far as ingestion goes) is World's Best. It is a corn based litter and does clump by nature but doesn't expand like a clay litter does. 

Of course, a kitten eating too much of ANY litter is not good for their tummies, but the pellets, paper, and corn formulas are a better alternative than clay. 

I know people who opt for no litter and use paper towels but that is strange to me- part of the training process is getting them used to the digging and burying process, not just the box itself. Those I know that go this route have a lot more messes to clean up everyday! 

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wood pellets are much cheaper than clay and last heaps longer, it's far more economical than clay litter

Perhaps it's where you're getting it from? Or the type of tray, best used in the purpose designed sieve tray, the sawdust falls to the bottom leaving all other pellets fresh

eponaboo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I buy my litter from asda (maybe wallmart to some of you?)  like £1:99 for the Clay litter and around £3 for half the amount of wood pellet and this is the second cheapest everything else is around £4 and i usually need a couple of bags a week of clay with the pellets i have to get 3 bags so its pretty pricey. I know for now i need to be using this as its better for the kittens. But just wondering at what age they don't eat it anymore.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not Walmart but I know what you mean lol

I've no idea when they don't eat litter since mine never do, I'd guess by 12 weeks

There's a UK pet forum that could be useful to you, breeders post there so could help you with litter and best prices

Last edited:

eponaboo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the pm i had a passing glance but then dottie decided to explore the toilet so i havent had a chance to have a good look yet >_<