Freaking out! Onion skin

terra

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think (seriously do not know for sure) my cat has eaten a small piece of red onion skin. You know the flaky paper-y stuff.

I found my cat playing in one of my bowls on the kitchen counter and at the bottom of it was about half of an onion skin/peel that must have fallen off at some point... I'm so dumb

IF she ate it then I would think it would be the size of a coin at the most, but probably smaller. Just to be clear there was no actual onion "meat" on the skin. The reason why I think she has is because when I walked towards her she sort of made a motion with her mouth as if something was in it. Imagine if you have a piece of hair on your tongue and you try to get it off.

I'm reading as much as I can about this and literally killing myself with worry. How long would it be before I notice anything if there is a problem? It is about 1 1/2 hour ago (yes I know but I just realised what it could be) and no vomiting or pale gums or any of the symptoms described online. I will obviously stay up the whole night to watch her and I'm constantly checking on her but this is the time she usually sleeps.

Should I call a vet in the morning? Will she get sick?
I'm a bit scared to call the emergency vet as the only one close is known for being moneygrabbing and I'd hate to drag her out when she seems fine (for now)

Any answers are greatly appreciated.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd just keep an eye on her for now. The dried skin has no liquids in it, so maybe the poisonous parts are all gone. You can call the vet in the morning and ask about it.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do call your vet for peace of mind, but she should be fine. Even if she ate the actual onion, that amount wouldn't be toxic. With onions, it's very much the dose that makes the poison, and it has to be either a very large dose at one time or low-level dosing over a long period of time. One small dose shouldn't have any long-lasting consequences. And I'm pretty sure the paper skin isn't toxic anyway.

What I found: "Consumption of as little as 5 g/kg of onions in cats or 15 to 30 g/kg in dogs has resulted in clinically important hematologic changes"

So say a smallish cat is 3 kg (6.6 lbs), he/should would need to consume 15g of onion minimum to start having trouble (note that's not a fatal dose, just the minimum toxic dose). 15g is more than half an ounce. . .and that's a lot of onion (more than 3 teaspoons of minced onion). I don't think a cat would willingly eat that much plain. It would have to be in a sauce or something to fool a cat into eating that much.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
From what I understand it is the various sulfurous compounds in the onions and garlic that are so toxic to cats, and they are not present (or present in only trace amounts) in the dried skin of an onion.  I cook with onions a lot,  and bits of the dried skin wind up everywhere...I've never had an issue with Hekitty because of them.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

terra

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for all your replies. I was so freaked out I forgot to check back. Hows that for a first forum post eh

I called the vet and they said to keep an eye on her. Still here and breathing with no problems so I'm sure she'll live

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's going to be fine. It's better to be cautious than to ignore a possible problem. You're a good cat parent!

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise

Thanks for all your replies. I was so freaked out I forgot to check back. Hows that for a first forum post eh

I called the vet and they said to keep an eye on her. Still here and breathing with no problems so I'm sure she'll live
Sooner or later all of us get a wake up call. And I'm not calling you negligent. It happens to everyone. That oh crap moment. Cats are agile toddlers who can climb. That hunter/explorer instinct stays with them throughout their lives.

And regardless of how benign that dry onion skin was and the toxic levels normally needed your cat could be the ONE that is hyper sensitive. You did the right thing calling the vet even if you ended up feeling silly.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, and now that you are here, play around a bit...enjoy the site, get to know folks!  You really are in good company, you know!

abacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh my gosh, this was me ten years ago! [emoji]128512[/emoji] I had just gotten Abby and she did the same thing! I panicked. She went to the vet soon after and I told the tech or front desk person (can't remember which) and all she said was silly kitties they do stuff like that. [emoji]128533[/emoji] She's now 11 and queen of the house!