Frantic diarrhea behavior

ChrisNJean

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have two 4 year old cats, Dory and Marley (fostered from the day they were born with their 4 other siblings). Both cats had a couple of bouts of diarrhea when they were about one year old and again when they were 2 and 3. When I say “bouts” I mean they RUN frantically through the house expelling diarrhea everywhere they run, as they run. It’s like they are running away from something scary. I’ve never seen anything like it. I thought they were over it but Dory just had another bout tonight. Marley is fine so far. I know this will pass soon but that behavior of running from it is so odd. Can anyone explain this? We feed our 5 cats very good food all canned, no dry kibbles but do offer freeze dried chicken nuggets ( NW NATURALS) mostly for Marley as he loves that texture. We feed a pate of chicken and spinach from pro plan and Earthborn chicken Fricatsee. To that we add a pre and a probiotic all in one powder as well as l-lysine powder to their meals.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!!

I'd guess that it does scare them, or is so uncomfortable, or odd feeling that they don't know what to do.

I'm thinking out loud here, maybe stop the pre and probiotics and the l-lysine, and see if their systems settle down.

Last edited:

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree. Quit giving l-lysine.

1) One of the side effects of l-lysine is diarrhea.

2) There is no scientific evidence that l-lysine is effective.

For your reference:

We recommend an immediate stop of lysine supplementation because of the complete lack of any scientific evidence for its efficacy.

It will be hard for me to continue to endorse the use of lysine in the face of this recent article.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had cats do this after vaccinations and after injections of antibiotics/steroids. It is so alarming, and you stand there helpless, it is not a good time for anyone. Something upset their systems, something that happens a year apart. Vaccinations? Vet visits? Change in diet or excess in treats? There has to be something that is causing this. It could be as simple as them getting some dairy products, a known diarrhea inducer in mature cats. Or company coming, causing extreme stress. Stress is a big factor in this also, a vet visit could be tied in too.
They are racing around because like said above they are scared, they hate the unfamiliar feeling and they panic. Although there has been much publicity about L-Lysine NOT working in feline herpes cases, there are many unexplained cases of discontinuing it and having herpes flair up again, so the census is that it DOES help in SOME cases. I discontinued using it and instead concentrate on building up their immune system by administering DMG. So far, (6 months) so good, no severe respiratory infections in my cats who have Leukemia. But I also do not let them outside anymore to be exposed to the many viruses and illnesses that the outside cat population brings around. I would be observant of all routine things that are going on, even writing daily observations in a diary. this way changes could be spotted and tied to the episodes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ChrisNJean

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have had cats do this after vaccinations and after injections of antibiotics/steroids. It is so alarming, and you stand there helpless, it is not a good time for anyone. Something upset their systems, something that happens a year apart. Vaccinations? Vet visits? Change in diet or excess in treats? There has to be something that is causing this. It could be as simple as them getting some dairy products, a known diarrhea inducer in mature cats. Or company coming, causing extreme stress. Stress is a big factor in this also, a vet visit could be tied in too.
They are racing around because like said above they are scared, they hate the unfamiliar feeling and they panic. Although there has been much publicity about L-Lysine NOT working in feline herpes cases, there are many unexplained cases of discontinuing it and having herpes flair up again, so the census is that it DOES help in SOME cases. I discontinued using it and instead concentrate on building up their immune system by administering DMG. So far, (6 months) so good, no severe respiratory infections in my cats who have Leukemia. But I also do not let them outside anymore to be exposed to the many viruses and illnesses that the outside cat population brings around. I would be observant of all routine things that are going on, even writing daily observations in a diary. this way changes could be spotted and tied to the episodes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ChrisNJean

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks. It’s good to know there’s others out there with similar issues. We are very attentive moms and discuss daily, how all 5 cats are doing. I use a Feliway plug in for multiple cats in two areas of the house to help calm them. Dory and Marley have always been skittish cats ...hereditary I suspect. Their mama was feral. I just applied Dory’s Revolution yesterday about 2:00pm and she started her “bout” at 8:30pm. Seems fast acting but perhaps that was it. We did just have some outside projects done Thursday and that perhaps added stress?
Omg. We try to create hiding places for them “forts” to feel safe when there’s company coming or out of the ordinary things happening. Poor creature. 😖

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Revolution definitely could have contributed, I had a cat go bald from it so it does cause reactions.& Just that cat too, the others were fine. He came out even better it was right before winter so he became a inside cat!

Oysterbay

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here are the side effects of Revolution as described by the manufacturer: vomiting, diarrhea with or without blood, anorexia (decreased appetite), lethargy (sluggishness), salivation, rapid breathing, pruritus (itching), urticaria (welts, hives), erythema (skin redness), ataxia (incoordination), fever and rare instances of death.

Perhaps keep openminded to natural solutions.

flybear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have one tomcat who had tummy issues since he was a baby- with occasional bouts of the stinky runs- it was the reason he went from foster to permanent resident lol ... We went through dozens of super high quality food until we found one that worked and ... sadly it isn't an organic or even super premium food- Nutro grain free chicken and potato cured him - I am not thrilled but after so many tries ... we are just happy to have found something that seems to keep him healthy ... we absolutely have to feed him this one brand dry food only- no idea why but wet food no matter the brand makes him sick - we try to give the girls wet food as a treat but all three do well on the kibble and drink enough ... makes me a bit sad for them as I would love to do wet food ( there is something about spoiling them with a can. of stinky yummy food daily) but ... our Tom is SO much happier and healthier now that his tummy isn't giving him issues ...