Fragile toe pads

DesiMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 10-year old cat has suddenly developed thin/weak paw pads. This is the second hole to form in one of her pads and it will not heal up (it has been over two months now). The vet ran a bunch of tests and even did a biopsy and they cannot find anything medically wrong with her. Besides being about 1 pound overweight (which isn’t much), she passed all tests. She is healthy. For 9 ½ years she didn’t have any issues with her pads. They cannot explain why all of a sudden her pads are getting poor and why this hole will not heal up. I have had her on very restricted movement for two months and she has been wearing an e-collar for two months so it isn’t anything that she is physically doing to prevent it from healing either. I’ve searched and searched and cannot seem to find anyone else who has ever experienced this issue.

Attachments

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Cat Disease - an overview | ScienceDirect Topics

Welcome to The Cat Site. I certainly see what you mean about research as most is confined to injuries or other external issues which would affect a pad. The link above is only partial as they want you to continue on but it does mention a few things which seemed more obscure to me.

Hopefully others might have some ideas.

Have general tests been done for overall health?

Several years ago I had a GSD who lost the use of his back legs, but would drag himself in the house if he became impatient for me to come and lift him. He severely abraded his feet and had actual holes in them. What healed them was laser treatments and I don't know if that would help your baby or not.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. What are all the tests that have been run? When they did a biopsy, what all did they look for? Are her paws sore? The only similar situation I have ever heard about relates to an immune disorder - when the immune system is mistakenly triggered and it overproduces lymphocytes that pool in the cat's foot pads. Antibodies then attack healthy paws and cause inflammation, swelling, and pain to develop. I also read that this type of condition can be found in cats that have been exposed at some point to either FIV or FeLV.

It is not necessarily a cure all, but have the vets tried steroids, even perhaps one of the anti-inflammatory type steroids, to see if that helps any? Also, ask the vet if your girl should be using an organic type litter.

Xena44

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is she declawed? It looks like she is. Sounds like a silly question but do you know what method they used to do this procedure? Excisional or resco method?

Xena44

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi. What are all the tests that have been run? When they did a biopsy, what all did they look for? Are her paws sore? The only similar situation I have ever heard about relates to an immune disorder - when the immune system is mistakenly triggered and it overproduces lymphocytes that pool in the cat's foot pads. Antibodies then attack healthy paws and cause inflammation, swelling, and pain to develop. I also read that this type of condition can be found in cats that have been exposed at some point to either FIV or FeLV.

It is not necessarily a cure all, but have the vets tried steroids, even perhaps one of the anti-inflammatory type steroids, to see if that helps any? Also, ask the vet if your girl should be using an organic type litter.
Or maybe even shredded paper for now. Don’t want litter getting into the wounds.

Xena44

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cat Disease - an overview | ScienceDirect Topics

Welcome to The Cat Site. I certainly see what you mean about research as most is confined to injuries or other external issues which would affect a pad. The link above is only partial as they want you to continue on but it does mention a few things which seemed more obscure to me.

Hopefully others might have some ideas.

Have general tests been done for overall health?

Several years ago I had a GSD who lost the use of his back legs, but would drag himself in the house if he became impatient for me to come and lift him. He severely abraded his feet and had actual holes in them. What healed them was laser treatments and I don't know if that would help your baby or not.
Love laser! Wish I could afford 1 myself.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DesiMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

She has had full blood work, a urine test, fructosamine test, and a biopsy of the toe. She passed everything with flying colors. I am currently using Yesterday's News litter to keep debris from getting into the hole.

DesiMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is she declawed? It looks like she is. Sounds like a silly question but do you know what method they used to do this procedure? Excisional or resco method?
She is front declawed (I didn't do it. I adopted her when she was 6 and she came that way).

Xena44

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She is front declawed (I didn't do it. I adopted her when she was 6 and she came that way).
I’m wondering if there is a bone fragment from the amputated digit left in. (With the resco method, it is more than likely. In fact it is very typical). They (the fragments) can become a problem when the kitty is older. I would mention this scenario to your vet and see what he thinks.

DesiMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. Thanks for asking. She had her toe partially amputated on June 24th. Yesterday, July 5th, she had the last of the bandages removed and the stitches out. It looks terrible because of the lack of fur (and what fur there is is matted down), but is healing well. Most of the stitches were in the bottom of her paw of course, so you can't see where they were in this pic. Hopefully, there are no more complications and our lives can finally return to normal. She is using it without any problems. I am going to take the cone off this evening and hopefully she doesn't over lick it and cause any other damage.

Attachments

Xena44

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That’s great that there seems to be a resolution to this. So glad she’s healing well. 😻😻 If she licks it a lot, she may need the collar (Doh!) for a day or so more.