Fractured Teeth

MittensKitten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I suppose I'm here to vent and see if anyone else has had similar experiences. I care for many cats. I have four indoors and outdoor enclosures housing another six. It can be overwhelming at times but I pride myself in taking care of them. I also have a dog who forced me to educate myself in animal behavior. I guess I'm trying to convince you that I really expend a lot of energy caring as best I can for these animals. A recent experience has really upset me and feel alone in the pain. My wife and mother reassure me but I'm not sure they understand the guilt I feel. I have two cat's who are brothers that I found dumped on the roadside as kittens about 10 years ago. They were the first cats I had as my own as an adult. One of them is deaf and they both have sprayed their entire lives after being neutered at the "appropriate" age. I built an outdoor house and enclosure for them because I couldn't keep them in the house. The deaf cat who is my pride and joy is named Mittens.
I recently took him to the vet to be check out because he was having loose stool from giardia. The vet noticed his teeth looked bad and I scheduled a cleaning. The surgery went fine and when I went to pick him up I found out the vet had extracted two fractured teeth. I was very surprised and upset with myself for not recognizing what seems should be an extremely painful condition. He ate both dry and wet food and seemed to be a healthy cat. I was oblivious to what should have been immense suffering and I feel horrible about it. I imagine this could have gone on for over a year. It's driving me nuts thinking about it. Has anyone shared a similar experience? I know that time will diminish the emotion, but it really sucks to think about your cherished animal suffering in silence.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have, although it has been a good many years ago, and my cat, also, showed NO signs or symptoms AT ALL! Cats are masters at hiding pain, you know. It is instinctive. You were oblivious, but NOT through negligence. You were oblivious because NATURE DECREED THAT YOU SHOULD BE OBLIVIOUS. A weak cat, in the wild, is a dead cat. Survival instinct at its finest...it fooled one of the most intelligent animals on the planet...the human being. It functioned as it was designed to function, pure, plain and simple. For all our vaunted intellect, we cannot overrule nature. Cold comfort, I know, but there it is. Yes, the feelings will diminish in time. And I'm betting that dental checks will be a regular thing in the future, which is the only logical response.

For now, just be glad that your cat is doing well.

Welcome to TCS, by the way. It's always a pleasure to meet another loving, caring and concerned cat guardian!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MittensKitten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks very much for your reply. It is a humbling experience. It gives me a different sense of respect for this "helpless" little animal. He is deaf and basically helpless, but still possesses a strength that I'm now aware of. Life is tough.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You're welcome. I don't know how much comfort it was, but every word was true. They are amazing, aren't they? And strong in ways that we could never hope to emulate. I have unbounded respect for cats, both domestic and wild. They are miracles in fur.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MittensKitten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I appreciate the sense of solidarity. I'll let time soften the emotion. It's a bit of a tangent but I've been trying to wrap my head around the lack of respect I see towards wild predators. You'd think that a human hunter would respect the animal predators he shares so much in common with. Loves dogs, hates coyotes... hmmmm?...
Thanks for helping me forgive myself.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You are more than welcome. I've been on a LOT of cat sites, and this is the one I've stuck with, because of the real sense of community.

I'm constantly shocked at how little people care about the natural world in general. We're going to "progress" ourselves out of a planet to live on if we aren't careful. Myself, I don't want a world where there are no more wild things. They are our treasures, each and every one. They have their niche, and when they go outside of it, it is ALWAYS due to some horror that we have perpetrated on them!