Fountain Help

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have this fountain

PetSafe Sedona Pet Fountain, Lake Breeze - Chewy.com
upload_2019-2-10_17-46-9.png

Within the last few days, Austin has decided he wants to splash around and play in the fountain. When I get up in the morning, there very little water in the fountain and a lot of water on the floor.

I like this fountain, but I'm wondering if there is something out there that wouldn't be so inviting for him to splash around in? Or something I can do to discourage him?

Any advice appreciated.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You could try putting some decorative pebbles in it. If nothing else it would reduce the volume of water he can splash.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I would put would put a pan under it and give it some time. It’s entirely possible that the novelty and splashing will wear off .

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Has he always done this with the water fountain, or is it new behavior? You might need to see if you can catch him in the act to actually see what he is doing to cause it.

Feeby - and she doesn't even have a fountain - is now drinking a lot of her water by putting a paw in the water and lapping it from there - it makes quite a mess. Could he be doing that?

For whatever reason, she only does this with her favorite dish on the patio, so I don't have to worry as much about the mess that she causes on the indoor/outdoor carpet. But, I did change bowls on her because the previous one she was scooting it toward her to drink and sloshing water everywhere. So, she just changed her mode of how to get water all over the place. Is the fountain moved at all?

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He was doing it in the rescue/shelter. When I would visit him or do a volunteer shift, I noticed his towel was always wet and water bowl empty. They told me heliked to play in his water, so I was kind of expecting it. However, he's been here about 3 months and didn't do any playing until now. The first time there was a dead bug by the water bowl and water all around. I assumed either the bug got in the water or under the bowl or something and that triggered him. I did catch him in the act the next night, but no idea what triggered it. I just heard a lot of splashing. No bug that I could see. I got him to stop, but he came back to it later. This morning I thought it was okay, but on another pass by that room, he had been at it again. I've been putting a towel under it for now. Maybe I'll see if I can find some indoor outdoor carpet or something relatively waterproof for a pad underneath. I don't think towels are a good long term answer :)

FeebysOwner FeebysOwner my RB kitty Cindy used to drink that way. She would dip her paw in the bowl and lick it off her paw. We thought it was the cutest thing ever.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a quick glance at this, it looks like he would have to stick his head in this to drink, possibly getting his whiskers wet. If that's the case, then I could see him doing a Feeby and pawing the water up instead. That would make a big mess.

Before this weekend, I would have recommended the Petkit Eversweet owing to its whisper quiet operation, easy tear-down to clean, and it's low water and change filter indicators. But this weekend, I discovered the company has a bit of a supply issue on the replacement filters. If you look at this machine and decide it's still attractive, as I did when I decided to buy another* instead of waiting for the filters to restock, then I would recommend to load up on filters whenever they do decide to ship them.

(*My situation was slightly different. I got a 1.0 machine and found out that only the 2.0 filters are being sold for this machine. But both the tray to make 2.0 filters work with 1.0 machines and the 2.0 filters themselves are not shipping until March. I still appreciate this machine for reminding me to do my part on the maintenance.)

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have an active splasher, but I use puppy pee pads underneath my water fountain. Maybe that could work in place of a towel?

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a residual instinct in some cats to paw the top of the water to clear it from debris as if they are still in the wild. We discussed this in another thread some time ago. Mingo is one of those cats like this and he emptied his water bowl every time he took a drink. He also will drink from the toilet, after "clearing" the surface first.

So I got a Drinkwell Platinum fountain. The water comes out of a spout, and it doesn't need to be "cleared." Mingo will drink right from the spout. This may be what your cat needs, too.

I also let him drink from the toilets if they are clean and add water to his food.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A few ideas. Try cutting a straw in half and placing it in the fountain. That way she can know where the surface is. Next for my water loving cat I got him a large drinkwell fountain with different spouts so I could choose how fast the water poured out. Then the trouble making water loving kitten started wading in the fountain (at one point she got three paws in, up to her ankles!!!) I gave up and gave her a large Tupperware container (a small shoe box sized tub would work) placed it in the shower and added straws/floating plastic ball. She plays in the water, the mess is contained, some of the water is dried on her paw as she walks out of the shower & the fountain is left alone.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a quick glance at this, it looks like he would have to stick his head in this to drink, possibly getting his whiskers wet. If that's the case, then I could see him doing a Feeby and pawing the water up instead. That would make a big mess.
It actually has a little fountain on top where it bubbles out, no need to get whiskers wet. I got this one because I had one of those drinkwell where it comes down the side and Swanie didn't like it. I wanted him to drink more, so I got the one I have now and he loved it. I've seen both these guys drinking from the fountain part as well.

I think he's doing more than just clearing the water. Swanie did that, so I know what you mean. And Cindy got it on her paws and drank that one. This little guy is splashing around like nobody's business.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A few ideas. Try cutting a straw in half and placing it in the fountain. That way she can know where the surface is. Next for my water loving cat I got him a large drinkwell fountain with different spouts so I could choose how fast the water poured out. Then the trouble making water loving kitten started wading in the fountain (at one point she got three paws in, up to her ankles!!!) I gave up and gave her a large Tupperware container (a small shoe box sized tub would work) placed it in the shower and added straws/floating plastic ball. She plays in the water, the mess is contained, some of the water is dried on her paw as she walks out of the shower & the fountain is left alone.
Hmmmm. I wonder if that would work. I may try it.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have an active splasher, but I use puppy pee pads underneath my water fountain. Maybe that could work in place of a towel?
That's what I was using, but I ran out, hence the towel. I may get some of the bigger ones.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a residual instinct in some cats to paw the top of the water to clear it from debris as if they are still in the wild. We discussed this in another thread some time ago. Mingo is one of those cats like this and he emptied his water bowl every time he took a drink. He also will drink from the toilet, after "clearing" the surface first.

So I got a Drinkwell Platinum fountain. The water comes out of a spout, and it doesn't need to be "cleared." Mingo will drink right from the spout. This may be what your cat needs, too.

I also let him drink from the toilets if they are clean and add water to his food.
I have a second fountain in the other bedroom that has spouts on the sides. I've seen both cats over there with it from time to time. Maybe I just need to get rid of the bowl one and get another one with spouts.