Fountain Bowls

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey all. I wasn't sure where to put this. One of our fountain bowls broke recently and I'm looking for a different brand. We have two Whisker City bowls and I hate them both. The one that broke is, of course, the larger and more used one. While I'm happy to be replacing it and said not long ago I wanted to, it's now a bit of a race against time because we're not sure if Ash is drinking. He doesn't like normal bowls and uses the one that broke the most. I've increased the amount of water he's getting in his food to help prevent UTIs. However, I was wondering what bowls you use. We're hoping to get stainless steel or ceramic. The plastic ones just get gross too quickly and are inconvenient to clean. Preferably something that looks decent without being ridiculously expensive. A lot of fountains have reviews saying they stop working, so I was just wanting to get an idea of what worked for other people.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a Drinkwell Platinum, and it's worked for a very long time. It's plastic, but neither of my cats have gotten acne from it. The little pump needs to be cleaned out from time to time, but mine has been going on and on for four years now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi!
This one is a good one
Water Fountains Good Or Not?
and here's a review of another
Catit Design Senses Fountain w/Filter
Thanks, I'll look at them.

I have a Drinkwell Platinum, and it's worked for a very long time. It's plastic, but neither of my cats have gotten acne from it. The little pump needs to be cleaned out from time to time, but mine has been going on and on for four years now.
Thank you. I've heard of good things about Drinkwell, so definitely looking into it. I just don't like plastic because ours has a thin tube that tapers down even smaller at the end. It's nearly impossible to clean and has gotten mold in it, so it makes me a bit nervous.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can get a cleaning kit for the Drinkwell that has tiny, long brushes for those tubes. I've never had a problem with mold.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can get a cleaning kit for the Drinkwell that has tiny, long brushes for those tubes. I've never had a problem with mold.
I've noticed some have something you can buy to clean it. I hadn't seen anything when we got our current one so I didn't know it was going to be needed. I'll definitely have to get a cleaning brush.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have this one
It's really large, but I had a dog and 6 cats so it was perfect. I believe it does come in a smaller size. I had to clean it thoroughly once a week and then replace the filter every 3-4 weeks.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have this one
It's really large, but I had a dog and 6 cats so it was perfect. I believe it does come in a smaller size. I had to clean it thoroughly once a week and then replace the filter every 3-4 weeks.
I believe we actually looked at that one. It's definitely a consideration. However, for now we're just going with a cheaper bowl. Later on when money isn't quite as tight I'm going to get a good ceramic or stainless steel one and then move the one we're currently getting into my room. So all recommendations are still appreciated, but will be considered more in the future. Thank you!

I have the Drinkwell Avalon
It's really easy to clean, no nooks and crannies to get gucked up, no special brushes needed, and it's ceramic. Even the pump is really easy to clean.
That does sound good and it looks nicer than a lot of bowls. As I said above, I'm sticking with a cheaper (Drinkwell) bowl for now. This will be a consideration for the future though. Thank you!