foundling baby

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So sweet.  If he has a crooked tail and blue eyes after kittenhood, he may very well have Siamese ancestry.  You can purchase a DNA test to see.

There are Siamese rescues who take blue eyed cats, no matter what their markings are.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hatchytt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think that the crooked tail may be due to accident. And only one eye is blue. That's the perma-dilated one. Before we noticed the perma-dilation, we thought he might be chimaera. But, who knows.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hekitty and I totally approve of the name.  HOWEVER...and I'm sure you know this...if you have a male and a female kitten, both about six months old, the trip for neutering needs to be sooner, rather than later.  They are just coming into that sexual maturity state.  I've seen, sadly, kittens as young as five months old become mamas, way before their time.  Luckily, they had lots of assistance, and the little families did well, but you don't want to take any risks.

hatchytt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know. We need to get one of them fixed soon, preferably Hecate. She's bigger. And she's a pain when she's in heat. He's not spraying yet, but we're going to try really hard to get Hecate in to the clinic some time this week, just in case there was an oops.

hatchytt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
At least they're getting along better today. Much less hissing, practically no boxing, and they're playing together. Mostly tag. They like chasing each other. But, Hecate is still jealous.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would really advise keeping them separate until she is spayed and he is vetted.  There is a major risk of infection and of babies, and illness and babies are a lot more expensive than fixing.  Thank you for taking him in.  You're going to be a lovely family.

hatchytt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Really, my apartment is a bit too small to keep them separated. But, it does move up Hecate's spay date. We want to do so in the next week. That should see her out of this active heat and be early enough for a possible pregnancy not to be too much of an issue. It sounds draconian, but the other option is to put one of them out, and we won't do that.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think it's draconian at all, just responsible.  Please keep us posted!

hatchytt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Funny part is, Hades seems to be trying. It seems like he's still a bit too small to hold Hecate down. And if he does get her down, he can't seem to reach in the other direction.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hecate definitely needs spaying soon.  And toms are better neutered before sexual maturity, so they don't develop nasty habits like spraying.

He's lovely.  I hope the eye dilation doesn't indicate a concussion.  (Does that work the same way in cats as humans, does anyone know?)

Margret

hatchytt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
His eye is less dilated today and he's acting quite healthy I.e. very active, generally ravenous, regular (but stinky at first) in the litter box. He's a general pain in the butt, but in the usual kitten way. The kids (kitties) are currently napping. Yeah, Rune and I don't want kids, so the cats are the kids. Spaying Hecate has definitely shot way up on the priority list. It's right behind getting food for myself and Rune.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I know that you are doing the best that you can for your feline family members.  It's all we can do.  They're cuties, by the way, been prowling, looking at pics.

hatchytt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks. A lot of people don't understand the concept of "poor". I pay the bills out of my SSI check, and Rune covers everything else with what he can make driving a cab. And when that falls through for a week, we're spending the next three trying to dig our way out. So some things have to wait.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks. A lot of people don't understand the concept of "poor". I pay the bills out of my SSI check, and Rune covers everything else with what he can make driving a cab. And when that falls through for a week, we're spending the next three trying to dig our way out. So some things have to wait.
This makes perfect sense to me.  May I suggest that you call your local shelter and ask about low cost (or possibly even free) spay and neuter clinics?  Every penny helps.

Margret

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Give me a bit of time...a day or two ago I found and posted a clearing house for low cost spay/neuter programs.  I'll have to search for it again.  I'm working my way through my many notifications now, and will go back and search when they are caught up.

ruaryx

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Aw, he's adorable!! And if you find out that Hades has anything infectious like worms (since he was a stray he probably does have them) then you'll have to treat Hecate too.  People are usually advised to keep strays separate until you screen the cat for FIV, FeLV, and other things like worms, fleas, and ear mites.  And for the snip, boys are usually cheaper.  Good luck.

hatchytt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The cheapest spay we've found is sixty something. And they need shots, too, at $12 per immunization. Either way, it will have to wait until we have more than ten dollars to our names. But, yes, it is a priority. I haven't seen any worms in stool, so that's something. I haven't spotted any fleas either.

hatchytt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hades has finally started to recognize and respond to his name! I'm stoked!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's wonderful!  He's becoming "yours" now, isn't he?  Actually sinking into that whole "home and family" thing like a housecat should.  I know you're enjoying it.