Found very young kitten - need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
The washcloth should be warm,wet, and have some texture to it, just like the rough sandpaper feel of mom's tongue. It should not be smooth. Also, making the formula a little bit thinner may help with the constipation, he/she may need more moisture in their diet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catminionjess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What brand powdered formula did you order?
I've been using GNC Pets Ultra Mega Premium Kitten Milk Replacer Enriched Powder in the 12 oz tin. I ordered Nutri-Vet Kitten Milk Replacer in the 6 oz tin. I got the smaller tin in case I need to try another one again. It was under $10 with an auto-ship discount (that I can cancel anytime).

catminionjess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She still isn't pooping. The squirts stopped too so I think that was from the few days on the canned KMR, not the lactulose. The new kmr formula and canned KMR order should be here tomorrow. She's up to 311 grams (almost 11 ounces). She's been playful and has started grooming herself. She snuggles, grooms and plays with her little bunny toy.
20191105_215954.jpg

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
She still isn't pooping. The squirts stopped too so I think that was from the few days on the canned KMR, not the lactulose. The new kmr formula and canned KMR order should be here tomorrow. She's up to 311 grams (almost 11 ounces). She's been playful and has started grooming herself. She snuggles, grooms and plays with her little bunny toy.
View attachment 306852

What do you mean by the "squirts"- urinating?. Can you have the techs show you how they are doing it?

catminionjess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The techs have already showed me how to stimulate her. I've also watched several videos. By "squirts" I mean, there was brown liquidy substance from her butt in addition to pee. I'd say it was diarrhea if it was more voluminous, but it was just small squirts for a couple days.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
The techs have already showed me how to stimulate her. I've also watched several videos. By "squirts" I mean, there was brown liquidy substance from her butt in addition to pee. I'd say it was diarrhea if it was more voluminous, but it was just small squirts for a couple days.

But you said that they have had success in excreting waste from her- what are they doing differently?

catminionjess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sink method didn't work for them the first vet visit last Monday. They did a probe instead. This Monday they kept her a few hours and did an enema and sent us home with 7 doses of lactulose.
But you said that they have had success in excreting waste from her- what are they doing differently?

catminionjess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She has been pooping regularly since finishing the lactulose and changing powder formula brands.But last night when I went to wake her for another feeding, her right eye was squinting kinda cloudy and watery. I gently wiped her face with a tissue and it went back to normal. It has done this a few times today too. I can't really tell if it's red or not because her eyes are just big black adorable saucers waiting for the adult color to set in. We have a follow-up vet appointment tomorrow morning so I'll definitely ask them about it then. I was just wondering if this is normal or what I should do in the meantime.
20191110_230650[1].jpg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She may need terramycin antibiotic eye ointment. Good on the pooping!

catminionjess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She may need terramycin antibiotic eye ointment. Good on the pooping!
Thanks! This is happening when I wake her up and it goes back to normal shortly after I wipe her face with a tissue. But there's still a little wetness under her eye when she's awake. My eyes do that sometimes too from seasonal allergies so I'm hoping that's all it is and not something really serious. She's too little for anything I'd give my senior cats if they were like this.

catminionjess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She's 4 weeks now and about 16.5 ounces. I'm calling her Spicy Nugget. Her poop still isn't consistent.Sometimes it's normal, sometimes it's runny and sometimes there is none. They took a stool sample to test at her vet appointment last week (Tuesday). They said the results would be in by Thursday. I never heard back, so I just called and they don't have the results yet. For her eye issue, they weren't sure if it was bacterial or viral, so they gave me erythromycin eye ointment to give twice a day for a week. Kind of a wait and see if it flares up again, then it could be viral (feline herpes). It cleared up dosing that night, the next morning and night. So I'm pretty sure it was from her going crazy flailing around during feeding and poking herself in the eye on the bottle nipple.
20191113_230906[1].jpg 20191115_214103[1].jpg

catminionjess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She's not that sweet lately lol. She's become very bitey. No one to play with but me... or my mom when she goes to "daycare". Her cat also has no interest in teaching Spicy important cat stuff.

Ruby3440

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Try to teach her to bite a toy instead as kittens can become very aggressive with biting as they age. Our 9 week old single kitten is really bad at biting. My family just let him bite them and he learned he could do it. I always tried a toy, but with everyone else letting him bite then it didn't work even though it told then not to let them do it.

catminionjess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ruby3440 Ruby3440 That's what I've been trying to do with Spicy to distract her, but it hasn't helped. I remember my senior girl, Boogie Bear, being play aggressive when she was a solo kitten too. She's such a diva and snippy if you dare touch her too long.

Status
Not open for further replies.