Found Two Stray Cats Not Sure How To Go On With This And Not Sure If The Mother Abandoned Them Or Et

Dark_Voltz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys so since yesterday it's been a frantic two days and basically for the past month or two I've been ordering cat food to feed the strays in my apartment building where in the back I go outside to the garbage area and feed the strays. Now so yesterday I noticed two small new kittens, I'm guessing 4 weeks old and after the whole day I hadn't seen their mother so I took one of them in (the other escaped and disappeared later kept going out in midnight to find the other one which was meowing a lot and eventually did near sunrise so now I have both). Now this afternoon I've been going back and forth near the area I found them and the mother we brought the kittens near the mother or father we believe but it isn’t doing anything even moved the kittens near him/her but just smelled the kittens a little and hissed back, my mom is pissed that we have two new cats that we probably can’t take care of and that the house is messed up cause of this. Now I'm wondering to myself are the cats that I'm seeing (besides the usual black and other colored cats) really a parent or I'm just wrong and these aren't it's parents and they're abandoned. Right now I've been just feeding them milk mixed with the Gerber baby powder. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Concentrate on the kittens.
If momma is shy semiferal you anyway dont want them to be with her much longer.

Kittens this here age are easy to foster and find good adoption homes for them.

If you take them at 8+ weeks they are more difficult to foster.
So you really found the optimal solution for them.

Momma? If she isnt friendly the best is prob TNR.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dark_Voltz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah you're right I've been thinking about it in this mindset really has me worried where what if the mother is missing them, worried and sadden over the fact her kids are missing. I'm thinking of trying to return them back to their mother who would foster and take care of them and that way everyone is happy??

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Nay, if you have possibility to foster them, dont return them. Do foster and find adoption homes. This way you are granting them life and a good future.

Return to momma and being homeless strays you do only if you cant foster them nor cant find anyone else whom can.
Observe most shelters arent happy with kittens really necessary to handraise. If they dont have foster homes ready, they become often just pts.

Momma? Yes, she is probably missing them. Cant be helped here. Feel, as deep inside her soul, communicating with your soul, she knows some kind person took care of her kittens, and thus, they got a future...

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
One addition. You have surely learned the holy rule; dont separate from momma before at least, 8+ weeks. Normally its correct. and its surely why you are talking about returning them to momma (or a caretaking daddy - which is rare but certainly happens)

But kittens from shy semiferales are one of the few exceptions.
Because the young are much easier to foster into fully socialized cats. And also, easier to catch. So these we try to catch earlier. Its good if we can get the momma too, but if its practically impossible, we take the kittens.

This is of course, only if we do have a fostering or adoption home lined up and waiting. If we dont, its better to let them be with momma, even if they become shy semiferales them too.

The other big exception? its of course dire emergencies, where we try to save what may be saved.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Let your mom know it is only a temporary situation. And it doesn't take much space to keep the kittens. A small bathroom would work, or you could get a box to keep them in. Instead of cows milk you should give them KMR or kitten milk replacer. You can mix it with wet canned kitten food. Look up the kitten lady video's on youtube. She has some good video's on kitten care.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You did the right thing in bringing in both babies. The mother cat would not have willingly let the second baby be mewing because that alerts predators; she may be in heat and gone off to mate or, most likely, been unable to return to them.In my opinion, you saved their lives. That is the responsible thing to have done.
Here at The Cat Site, you will have many resources on dealing with your new career in kitten rescue, including how to transition your household. Please keep us posted :hellocomputer:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dark_Voltz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah thanks everyone really appreciate it as of now I still have both kittens and taking care of them :D