Found random light red fluid by cats litter box

sparkymema

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I got up to get a drink and I noticed there was this really light red colored fluid next to the litter box. I checked the litterbox and there doesn't appear to be any bloody poop or anything like that inside. There are only two cats in the room that it happened and the other one was laying next to me while I was working at my computer since the last time that I got up, so I am pretty sure that its my female kitty she is about 5 years old atm. She got spayed back in feb I believe and she had this little thing where she would go to the bathroom and bunch throughout the day and it would come and go for a few months, and it hasn't been until recently that it picked up again. I kind of braved up a bit and smelt the red clear fluid after I soaked it up with a towel and it had kind of a musty smell, so I can only guess that it came out of her lady area back there. I took her into the vet for this once already and they said she was fine back when I first got her spayed. I have an appointment for her on Monday, but until then I am just trying to get an idea of what it might be.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sparkymema

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just an update. I actually saw her this time. She's squatting just outside of the litterbox and its pee, maybe just a teaspoon of pee at a time.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did her spay incision heal closed? We can only guess right now. You could gather a poop sample to take to the vet. It could be a urinary tract infection too. You don’t see any scratches or wounds? Try to watch if you know she goes potty. Maybe you can tell if she strains to poop or pee. That might give you a clue. I hope she feels better quickly.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We crossed posts! If it is pee, it could be a UTI and the vet will probably give some antibiotics. It’s good that you already have an appointment. If you get worried you can try calling the vet or even texting. Most have websites these days. Mine has an answering service and I call if I have questions.

sparkymema

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just swapped her litterbox with a brand new one a few minutes ago. She actually used it and I set up their watering dish that has one of those bottle attachments that refills on its own. Seems like she is doing a little bit better already and drinking more.

thanks,

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That’s great! You might want to keep a little list of everything as it happens so you can tell the vet. I know it’s not fun, but keep checking the aroma of any discharge if it happens again and be sure to tell the vet about the scent.

sparkymema

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She's actually starting to pee normal now and without any red or pink. I talked to the vet and they said just to give them a call tomorrow with an update because I guess she maybe flushed it out herself.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m glad you got to talk to them. I know when I have something going on, it always eases my mind to talk to our vet. Hoping she has cleared it out. :heartshape:

sparkymema

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It ended up coming back a few days later. I took her to the vet today and she has a bacterial infection and some sort of larger stone inside. They put her on a special diet and gave her some shots so she can hopefully push it out, bit by bit on her own. She hasn't peed since she got home today at around 3pm now its 7pm, but she's eating and drinking normally. So I'm guessing she might just be doing that thing that some cats do where they don't pee for a bit after a vet visit.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m very glad you got her to the vet! Keep an eye on her to make sure she pees soon. That is not an uncommon thing for kitties to deal with. So sorry it came back. Hopefully the shots will get her cleared quickly. Please do let us know how she is doing.

sparkymema

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just hope it breaks off slowly and passes through her urine overtime. Already spent about $400 just on her visit with the xrays and everything + the special food. So hopefully she doesn't need surgery which will be an extra $1000 on top of the $150 for her checkup visit in a week.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope she just gets it out on her own too! I know how hard it is to keep up with large vet bills or any medical costs these days along with the stress of worrying about her. Very tough. I’m so sorry! Get well quick sweet kitty!

sparkymema

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She had her checkup last week and it shrunk down to half its original size. At first I was expecting her to need surgery because she was just laying around, peeing very little several times a day just before her checkup. But now almost a week after her checkup and she’s been her old self again. She had one more checkup next week where she should be free of anymore stones.

I will probably continue giving her the uti food for another couple weeks after everything is all clear. Then I plan on switching her dry food to another brand. Just happy this has worked out for her and me, because around the same time that this was going on I was also dealing with a long term breakup, and having my kitty be sick made everything worse. Much happier now though since everything seems good now. Thanks for the support so far.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh that is such good news about her! I am so sorry you were going through so much at once! :alright: I do understand. I really do. I have a sick kitty and almost my whole family has been sick. As they say, when it rains, it pours. However, we can look for🌈☀rainbows and sunshine after a storm and I hope you get both! Please do keep us updated. You know...... we do love kitty photos if you get the chance.;) Thanks for the great news. You made my day sunny!

sparkymema

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She seems to have fully recovered and shes back to her goofy ways. I bought her a 2nd bag of the special UT food, and shes about halfway through it. My vet recommended a 3rd bag after she finishes this one but I'm kind of calling bs on it since shes been stone free for almost a month now. It has been kind of great seeing her healthy personality again although 'it does keep me up at night sometimes'. Hopefully your kitty is doing better as well.