Found Rabbit

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've been very busy lately so while Peter has gotten his hutch cleaned everyweekend, he hasn't gotten yard time lately. It's been too hot and by the time I've been able to get to his hutch I just am not comfortable with him being that active in the heat. But today, it's 8am and 67F so he's good to run while I clean his hutch and let it air out.

Rocket is getting better, she's no actively hunting him but she does stay near him while he is out. You can see her (next to a garden statue pointedly looking away because she saw me looking over) on the opposite side of the plants from where he decided to lay down a rest.
20210620_075341.jpg

And some of Peter swinging by the back steps to say hi. I'm just sitting on the porch watching him while his hutch airs out. Because he potties in the hay in his hutch, it does get a little smelly. I mop up as much as I can with the hay I am taking out and leave the whole thing open to air out and dry some before putting in new hay.

20210620_075155.jpg
20210620_075202.jpg
20210620_075205.jpg
20210620_075218.jpg

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Peter's eye was a little weepy last Monday so booked him an appointment with his vet. Eye problems in rabbits tend to be 50/50 odds that it is an eye problem or a tooth problem. He went in this morning and he has an abcess in his mouth.

Surgery for rabbits is only slightly more risky then cats and this will be his third time going under since joining my family. It's around a 2% risk of complications; which is honestly an uncomfortable margin when you are waiting. But medication alone won't cut it since the abcess is being caused by his teeth hitting wrong, so we need to both drain the abcess and fix the teeth.. His vet luckily had an opening so he is being prepped for surgery right now. I'll update when he is out.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Surgery went well and he is in recovery. I'll be picking him up in 2 hours and have cleared it with my boss to work from home tomorrow if Peter needs supervision. We will see how Peter does tonight on if he will need supervision.

He shouldn't need any special food, but if he does it's something similar to applesauce. He's usually really good about medications so hopefully he is back to his normal grumpy self quickly.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He's giving me the silent bunny treatment.

20210628_180935.jpg

He is stuck inside for the next two weeks because he does have sutures on his chin. He also has daily medication for the next week.

20210628_181658.jpg

He is still really groggy from the medication. He takes a few bites of food then zones out before taking a few more bites or moving around. He also drank half the bowl of water as soon as he got home.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Peter is back at the vet. He ate a single blueberry and licked up some critical care (I have an emergency bag but forgot to have a syringe so I offered it on a spoon). Not nearly enough food to leave him home alone or wait. They are going to syringe feed him and may be giving him more meds.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The tech called me and said he ate his syringe feeding like a champ. Which is very much like Peter, everytime he's needed to be syringe fed he cooperates. The biggest problem is he wasn't eating enough on his own to keep him from going into GI Statis and he hadn't pooped at home. They are going to keep him for a few more hours and do another feeding or two to make sure he is good and ensure he is pooping.

I know I've mentioned it before, but rabbits are in medical emergency if they don't eat for just a few hours. Their system has to be constantly moving or it can shut down. Rabbits should have food even in their carriers going to and from vet appointments and do not fast prior to surgeries. Peter is going to get a medication to stimulate his digestive system to make sure it keeps moving during his recovery.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Peter still has not pooped. The vet tech said they couldn't keep him overnight since they don't have overnight staff, so he is home.. Our area doesn't have any emergency rabbit vets that I can get him to and his normal vet won't be in until Thursday. He's already stressed with all the vet visits just in the last two days and I don't know if it is worth driving him over an hour to see a different vet (if I could find a rabbit vet who could see him tomorrow). The vet tech did get him on meds that should help his tummy and he is syringe eating. He just isn't pooping (or eating on his own).

Peter is a very picky bunny so I decided to let him back in his hutch tonight in case this is a combination of stress and him being stubborn. Hoping that in familiar surroundings he will poop. It is a risk since he has the sutures on his face but he is on antibiotics and his hutch is fairly clean so I'm taking it. At least he is looking somewhat relaxed right now in his hutch.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Hopefully being back in his hutch will help to comfort Peter. :hearthrob: Fingers crossed he poops soon. :poop:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We have poop! :poop:

Here is the grumpy boy getting his AM meds and feeding.
20210630_043448.jpg

Closer looks at his three meds and feeding syringe. The food is ground up hay with apples, banana and nutrients mixed with water into something the consistency of toothpaste.
20210630_043452.jpg

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Peter ate 4 blueberries on his own today and a few nibbles of lettuce. Good thing he syringe feeds like a champ because his system needs the calories. He is still pooping although the quantity is a little less then I would like to see. A rabbit normally produces 200-300 nuggets a day and he's done maybe half that. Although one was giant and had to be uncomfortable.

I gave him his evening pain meds and a feeding. He has another feeding and tummy med in two hours. Tomorrow we call his vet again and see what they think. I am torn about taking him back in because it does stress him out significantly and I am fairly certain he holds his poop at the vets. Right now he is relatively comfortable, I know he doesn't feel great but he's grooming, moving around and relaxing in the bottom level of his hutch. He hasn't gone upstairs yet and isn't eating but on the outside he does look content. I want him to get better but I don't know if the vet will help at this point or if he just needs time.

No close up photo because he's been grabbed for feedings so often he's tensing up when he sees someone coming. I know he sees and hears me right now and I am hoping that knowing not everytime I come out means being picked up helps. So a distance shot of the yard with a bunny butt if you zoom in. Just enjoying the evening quietly in the yard with the wind chimes tinkling in the breeze and cats snoozing nearby while the sunsets (and if it sounds idealic, add some annoying mosquitos to just bring you back to reality).

20210630_192441.jpg

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Peter ate some berries!

20210701_104837.jpg
20210701_104833.jpg

We are heading in the right direction. He didn't poop as good today (so far) but it is a little warm and nap time for the bunny. I still fed him this morning and will do two feeding tonight but I skipped the afternoon since I also saw him nibble some hay. We definitely aren't back to pre surgery eating but we will get there.

PS, if you zoom in on the second picture you can see the tip of a tiny bunny tongue.