Found Rabbit

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Its (nearly) finished! The yard was reseeded on Friday so as soon as the new grass grows in Peter will be able to move into his new space. The hutch has an entire back area with a longer ramp and balcony that triples his enclosed space. He will have room to stand or lay inside his hutch if he is let out late or put in early. We also moved his space out from under the apricot tree and gave him more room under the patio to compensate. I think he will enjoy being able to run a full circle around his house. There are also stones for me to walk out to his area since I kinda wore a path in the grass before. And we are going to keep an eye out for a thornless blackberry plant to add to the side of his hutch. Wind break and fresh treat (we would fence off the core of the plant so he doesn't kill if but whatever grew outside the fencing would be his)

20200912_065308.jpg
Screenshot_20200912-070445_Photos.jpg

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Now I don't just love rabbits, I've fallen in love with a rabbit! :cloud9: I am just now reading this thread. It is wonderful that you took him in and I knew from your very first post that you were going to keep him. I do kind of wish you would have named him after your dad, but otherwise, it's wonderful!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Peter is molting and looks incredibly scruffy. I gave him a good brushing but he's very picky and usually doesn't sit still long enough for more then one pass. I highly recommend a sleekEZ brush for short coats and sensitive skin, BTW. The last two years he's gone into GI Stasis with his fall molt. This year he is getting a steady flow of dried papaya/pawpaw (which has enzymes that help break down fur in his digestive tract). I've also ordered digestive biscuits and a specific sunflow seed variety that are also supposed to help keep things moving.

IMG_20200918_185941_789.jpg

As long as the grass continues to grow well, he should be moving into his revamped space next weekend. I got some stress reducer poppers too (from a bunny vendor who makes home made hard biscuits with different blends for different purposes, they also made the digestive biscuits. Since I was already ordering I figured make the most of shipping costs. It all arrived this week). He will get those this week in preparation. He will get another really good brushing and nail trim on moving day since we will have to bunny handle him anyways.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Brushing #2, I went to say good morning and Peter seemed receptive to another brushing. So I brushed him. I stopped to see if he was done at one point. He obviously wasn't because he picked up the brush and tossed it at me (or he was mad the brush was on his ground). Either was he got more brushing. Here is the after effect in fur and his scruffyness.

20200919_072411.jpg

20200919_072028.jpg

He does have a very distinct line between where he has molted/shed and where he hasn't.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Tell Peter not to feel too bad, I heard the 'scruffy' look is in style this year. 😉

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Moving Day!

Today was the day, Peter moved back to his renovated space. We were a little nervous about him reacting poorly so we decided to put him in the hutch closed up. Once he was comfortable going upstairs open the door. It also gave us time to move over his tunnels and plants.

To our surprise, in less than an hour he was ready to go outside the hutch after running up and down the ramp a few times. Once his door was open there was no hesitation and he ran laps around his area for a good 30 minutes before flopping to take a nap. Its a hard bunny life.

I think he really enjoyed the longer ramp with less slope, being able to stand inside the hutch and just move space in general.

20201003_084931.jpg
20201003_084528.jpg
20201003_084829.jpg
20201003_085431.jpg
20201003_090619.jpg
20201003_090449.jpg

20201003_090810.jpg

20201003_091322.jpg

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
How is Peter doing in his renovated space? It appears from the pics he is a happy camper. :heartshape: It looks like he's in bunny bliss!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How is Peter doing in his renovated space? It appears from the pics he is a happy camper. :heartshape: It looks like he's in bunny bliss!
He is super happy in his new space. Even my brother who is usually oblivious to pets noticed how happy Peter is in his space. He seems to really enjoy being back in a space where he can see things happening again. Lots of bunny runs and hops around his area, being able to fully circle his hutch seems to be especially nice. Most days he notices when someone comes into the yard and hops up to the fence to beg for pets. He is also fully adjusted to going into the hutch at night again and is usually waiting upstairs for his treats at dusk.

I will have to get some new photos to share.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Peter had his annual vet exam yesterday. He got a clean bill of health but due to his missing teeth he will need some dental work within the next year. Just preventative work to make sure he stays nice and healthy for many years to come. Of course, we are the absolute worst for taking him to the vet and making him get picked, prodded and checked over. We weren't forgiven for our rude behavior until this morning after he was able to sleep on it. Just when I got back in the good bunny graces I, of course, changed out all his hay and just got back on the bad human list for messing with his things. He did tell Link all about his mistreatment this morning, while sitting on his fresh hay pile.

To celebrate another clean bill of health, Peter got a pansy plant. I dont think he realizes yet that pansies are safe edible flowers but eventually he will try it out.

20201017_095243(0).jpg
20201017_095250.jpg
20201017_095125.jpg
IMG_20201017_100108_629.jpg

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Peter has decided that his hutch is really great to hang out in lately. Today, most of the day he was in his hutch. Laying on the bottom floor by the door or on the balcony upstairs. He did decide to do a few laps outside but mostly he enjoyed his hutch. Its really nice to see that he seems to really enjoy his upgrades.

When I went to lock him in for the night he was upstairs waiting for his greens and immediately dug the kale out to eat. Fun fact, he eats around the stem on the leaf and will eat mostly leaves off cilantro or parsely too. Usually when I put in fresh things I am grabbing discarded stems to keep his space clean before putting down the new.

20201101_165107.jpg

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Aww, Peter loves his greens just like me! :thumbsup: So glad to hear he is enjoying his upgrades. Thanks for the update.🤗

Natashan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I started following this story after rescuing a bunny outside my housing compound. Bun bun was rehomed and is now a happy hoppy fella.
It’s been a few months now of my reading this thread. touching a year since I saw the first post. I regularly check in to see how things have evolved. Each time it’s so lovely and heartwarming. Really makes my day every time I follow up on the latest news. Thank you for regularly posting. Much Love and light to you and yours xx

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It turned cold and rainy here. Well maybe cold and drizzly is a better description. Peter doesn't mind too much, domestic rabbits are comfortable down to 32-40F (depending on sources) and can go colder if they have a dry spot out of wind. This afternoon I took him some parsely while it was drizzling and he was wet to the touch but the water hadn't gotten to his skin so he didn't seem to even notice. Reminder, I am in Southern California and when I say it is cold my cold is around 65F during the day and a nighttime low of 40F. He has half the top of his hutch full of hay and a bunny bed downstairs he can go on to get off the stone floor. So he is all good with the temperature, arguably he is better when it is cool then during the summer.

In other news, he has found somewhere to hide out in his area. I say somewhere because we still haven't figured out where. He isn't visible or in any of his normal spots that are harder to see, but as soon as you start to panic that he somehow got out he appears out of nowhere. Since he has to be somewhere, my current theory is he has found a slip in reality and is hiding in a warmer version of here. But I could be wrong. Having a bunny invisibility blanket or hiding out in a tunnel are also equally likely.

20201108_145409.jpg
20201108_145351.jpg

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We are having the family Thanksgiving today, so Peter got a salad of red leaf lettuce, spinach, with a few blueberries, raspberries and papaya. Of course Peter had to let me know I put some gross green stuff on top of his good lettuce, fresh papaya is not that great and I put way too few berries on his salad. But such is the drama of being a picky bunny.

20201121_095332.jpg