Found Rabbit

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We have a navel orange and mandarin orange on property that are in season; so Peter has been getting "Peter's Share" when we pick them (basically a small slice with peel the width of a finger or smaller, we've been giving away 5 gallon buckets to friends and family so Peter gets included of course). I prefer to give him actual fruit in season with minimal chemicals as a general rule when it comes to his treats (freeze dried sulfate free fruit for his off season treat). It doesn't get more chemical free and fresh then our own backyard. It's been a few months since something was fresh in season and he is loving the citrus variety.

However, this isn't an orange slice photo because I usually do that early in the morning and light isn't good. This is a Peter and strawberry photo update..... We went to visit family yesterday and found a roadside booth selling local strawberries. They looked and tasted really good for so early in the year. Which is how, Peter got a strawberry instead of citrus as his fresh fruit today.

20200216_075327.jpg

He also recently switched to water dishes. When we went to the rabbit rescue for his valentine's day photos they were telling me bottles are actually bad for bunnies. We tried change to dishes and he loves it so he now has two dishes that get changed out daily. Just like with cat care, you can always learn and do better.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Peter got a hutch cleaning and dried flower salad mix to his treat basket today. So just a quick hi from Peter (okay, really he is protesting me cleaning his hutch because it was just fine how it was. He had just gotten everything right where he wanted it and now has to start all over. Rude human)

20200311_173019.jpg
20200311_173016.jpg

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Peter decided now would be a good time for a bunny emergency.... or the cold front upset him enough to impact his tummy (although it hasn't been too cold for a bunny and he has been outside when it is colder).... or he ingested too much fur from shedding.....

Whatever happened, Peter was close to GI Stasis again. Basically, he had bad gas which built up in his tummy until it hurt and was stopping food from moving properly. Rabbits are closer to horses in terms of biology and if their gut stops moving it's very difficult for them to get it restarted without help. It's why so many bunny owners say, "he was fine two days ago, just not as hungry. He just died." But, I know Peter's signs of pain and gas so I was able to get him taken care of.

Due to no one being home and me having to work (yay, essential work... maybe) I took him to the vet to ensure he worked through it okay. Some fluids, pain medicine and bunny gas-x and he is feeling much better. He gets to stay inside for the next week for supervision and medication to make sure he doesn't back slide. I also need to remember that shedding season is an issue and brush him out very well next year in case that was the trigger (second year in a row during shedding season, once is coincidence, twice is causation).

I will share a better photo later when he is a little more relaxed. For now, here is the sickie ....

IMG_20200319_191203_055.jpg

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Poor Peter. Feel better soon sweetie. Did he hear the rumor that a certain brother might have been his new hutchmate if he hadn't decided to behave? :alright:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Peter decided now would be a good time for a bunny emergency. He gets to stay inside for the next week for supervision and medication to make sure he doesn't back slide.
It looks like Peter is not the only one staying home in isolation these days. ;) I'm so sorry he's having a bunny emergency but quick thinking by mom is exactly what he needed. I hope he feels better soon and can go back outdoors to enjoy the sunshine.:heartshape:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I had to break quarentine to get rabbit pellets. I knew Peter wasn't fond of the pellets hes been getting lately but with him usually being outside I don't worry too much if he doesn't eat a lot of the pellets. What I didn't realize was he absolutely hates them. In his sick cage he was peeing into the pellet dish.... yes, he disliked them so much that he peed on them creating a mushy lump in his food dish.

So this morning I went to the local Mom and Pop pet store and bought him a bag of pellets. Since they only had the one he protested and one that is more bunny candy pellets (made with various hay and with dried fruit mixed in) he got the junk food pellets. Sickie wins this battle.

20200321_092919.jpg

And there is enough bedding and hay in his hutch, he clears a spot to lay in no matter how much I put in. He is getting twice daily meds and twice daily brushing so I am still on the evil human list.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Peter is feeling much better now. He did get out a day early because he was throwing a tantrum about being inside. Since stress is just as bad for bunnies as being sick I decided to reduce his stress and let him back out.

20200325_075620.jpg
20200325_075657.jpg

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
No wonder Peter enjoys being outdoors, look at all that lush green landscape. 🌿

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:heartshape: :blush: Look at him. He's such a happy, handsome boy. He makes every day brighter. I'm glad he's feeling better.