Found Rabbit

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Wow, I never knew there was CatCon! That's too awesome. Peter has got to be one of the best looking bunnies around.
CatCon was amazing. They had at least four booths dedicated to TNR and feral care, plus lots of toys, food, cat fashion, and even someone doing cat tattoos in one booth. Also seminars like "your cat can't be healthy if she isn't happy" and online celebrity cats (I met Suki from @sukiicat). Plus cat adoptions on site from a local rescue with 175 adoptions during the event.

Thank you from Peter, he is a handsome bun.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love rabbits but.... If the snake is large enough a rabbit is valid food for it. Big snakes either need one big food or lots of little ones. It should be humanely killed before hand (both for the rabbits sake and to prevent injury to the snake). I also think it should be a rabbit that was bred to be food only because those rabbits tend to be very inbred which means they won't live a long life anyways (cancer is extremely high in feeder mice, rats and rabbits from inbreeding).
We've had snakes before. We got mice and rats for them from the store we got the snakes from. They were bred to be food. I don't think I'd ever get another one though. I much preferred the iguana we had but wouldn't get another reptile.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Everybody has to eat. It's not any different from humans eating pigs or cows. Large snakes need to eat rabbits. But, yes, the rabbit should be humanely killed first, not just for the rabbit's sake but because a rabbit can and will shred a snake. I only get frozen prey for my snakes; I couldn't handle live feeding or fresh killed. So if my boa got big enough for rabbits (probably not, because he's male), I'd order frozen rabbits. I don't really like it (I also had a pet rat so even rats are a bit hard for me). But most people have pork/beef roasts in their freezers, so I just tell myself there's no difference and that works for me.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
CatCon was amazing. They had at least four booths dedicated to TNR and feral care, plus lots of toys, food, cat fashion, and even someone doing cat tattoos in one booth. Also seminars like "your cat can't be healthy if she isn't happy" and online celebrity cats (I met Suki from @sukiicat). Plus cat adoptions on site from a local rescue with 175 adoptions during the event.
I'M SO JEALOUS!!!!

But I'm glad you had a great time.

:hyper::hyper::hyper:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
View attachment 291494

Peter would like to suggest Rabbit King as the next big movie. Proof of the majestic king surveying his kingdom above. :spew:
Or how about "The Adventures of Peter and Link"? He'd want to include his BFF.

Peter looks like he's ready to sit on the iron throne for sure. He's a gorgeous boy for sure and so regal.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I went to the farmers market this afternoon. Grabbed myself some plums and Peter some berries.

IMG_20190901_181119.jpg

Yes, I got my bunny his own tray of berries. He will get about 5-6 berries with dinner each evening (I will probably steal some but most will go to Peter). Tonight's fresh mix included red leaf lettuce, Italian parsley, cilantro, baby broccoli, carrot peels, one blackberry, three golden raspberries and a raspberry. What does the silly boy go for first? His over processed packaged citrus biscuit. The one treat in his dry mix that isn't dried fruit or Timothy pellets; the one "candy" I allow in his diet.

IMG_20190901_181206.jpg

And while he gets a lot of fresh stuff, he paces it out. When I first got him he would hide stuff under the bedding to save for later but he knows now I won't steal it. He will eat some during the night and space the rest out for the day. He's really good at spacing however much I give him to last until the next dinner. I usually end up removing some stems and pieces when I refresh his fresh produce; but never a whole lot ..... Unless he's decided to boycott something but those he usually throws outside.

My bun isn't spoiled or anything. Nope not Peter.

Last edited:

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
I went to the farmers market this afternoon. Grabbed myself some plums and Peter some berries.

View attachment 298358

Yes, I got my bunny his own tray of berries. He will get about 5-6 berries with dinner each evening (I will probably steal some but most will go to Peter). Tonight's fresh mix included red leaf lettuce, Italian parsley, cilantro, baby broccoli, carrot peels, one blackberry, three golden raspberries and a raspberry. What does the silly boy go for first? His over processed packaged citrus biscuit. The one treat in his dry mix that isn't dried fruit or Timothy pellets; the one "candy" I allow in his diet.

View attachment 298359

And while he gets a lot of fresh stuff, he paces it out. When I first got him he would hide stuff under the bedding to save for later but he knows now I won't steal it. He will eat some during the night and space the rest out for the day. He's really good at spacing however much I give him to last until the next dinner. I usually end up removing some stems and pieces when I refresh his fresh produce; but never a whole lot ..... Unless he's decided to boycott something but those he usually throws outside.

My bun isn't spoiled or anything. Nope not Peter.
:spew:
:p"the one "candy" I allow in his diet." Typical kid :lol:
:lol2: "My bun isn't spoiled or anything. Nope not Peter.":crackup:
I'd never heard of golden raspberries, they look delicious.
I'm sure they are blackberries but the dark purple oblong berries look like Mulberrys. I love Mulberrys however they are hated in central Illinois and destroyed whenever found:gaah: I guess because when the birds eat them the purple poop stains are impossible to remove. The empty brown house Gypsy likes to visit on her
walkies...meanderings had some large berry covered limbs growing in the untended evergreen bushes. It had been at least 15 years since I'd had any and I was anxiously awaiting them to ripen when Horrors of Horrors they butchered the overgrown shrubs and cut down the Mulberrys before I could harvest any!!! :thud::bawling2::bawling::(
:hearthrob: :bunny: Love the Peter updates, sure would be great to see more of them ...with pictures:camera:
*hint**hint**hint* :heartshape::wave3:

Last edited:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
:spew:
:p"the one "candy" I allow in his diet." Typical kid :lol:
:lol2: "My bun isn't spoiled or anything. Nope not Peter.":crackup:
I'd never heard of golden raspberries, they look delicious.
I'm sure they are blackberries but the dark purple oblong berries look like Mulberrys. I love Mulberrys however they are hated in central Illinois and destroyed whenever found:gaah: I guess because when the birds eat them the purple poop stains are impossible to remove. The empty brown house Gypsy likes to visit on her
walkies...meanderings had some large berry covered limbs growing in the untended evergreen bushes. It had been at least 15 years since I'd had any and I was anxiously awaiting them to ripen when Horrors of Horrors they butchered the overgrown shrubs and cut down the Mulberrys before I could harvest any!!! :thud::bawling2::bawling::(
:hearthrob: :bunny: Love the Peter updates, sure would be great to see more of them ...with pictures:camera:
*hint**hint**hint* :heartshape::wave3:
They are really big blackberry's. Huckleberries and blackberries are pretty similar in a lot of ways but the farm who grew them only does blackberries. Not organic farm but the farm limits chemicals used on production and only sells to farmers markets; I prefer the farmer market produce for Peter to limit chemicals in his diet where possible. That's sad that the huckleberry was cut down before you could have some. :(

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a house in the country; the mulberry trees are a constant battle. And I like mulberries! But the birds poop their seeds everywhere so they grow inside an evergreen, or under the shed, or in a crack in the sidewalk. They're just incredibly invasive. I do leave a few that aren't in bad locations, so I can have fresh mulberries a few weeks a year :D.

What a lucky bunny! He really hit the jackpot.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Peter is so adorable. Look at him peeking out of his hutch checking out all the yummy stuff mom gave him. He's a lucky boy. Bunnies are like cats. They know which house to pick when they are lost.

Sidewinder

"Say what, crackerhead?"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We have rabbits on my street... cottontails & jackrabbits, the kittehs trip out on both kinds, LOL. We also have quail, and plenty of 'em... they file up and down the road and across folks' yards, doing their thing and looking for food. Those berries above look really tasty, I love fresh berries of all kinds!!! Friend of mine used to make mulberry wine with all the berries off his trees, and that stuff was delicious, even though I'm more of a "beer man" than a wino, LOL. :drinking: