Found Rabbit

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I love how all animals have unique personalities that you would never notice unless you were around them. I mean, who knew bunnies had moods and preferences. Thanks for teaching us cat people about bunnies. :bunny:
Rabbits are practically OCD about things, very clean and get bored easily. They are also very handy for using up the ends of fruits or veggies that got chopped up to make a stew. Or the rest of your cilantro bunch from taco night because you know you never use it all. They have this Easter Bunny myth of being just in a cage somewhere quiet and alone but those bunnies won't live long. You give them some room, toys and interaction and they blossom.

Speaking of blossom... Peter agrees with Thumper that the blossoms are the best part. He also nudged me away when I told him bad bunny and tried to nudge him off the bush. Dropped the blossom long enough to glare at me then went right back to munching.
IMG_20180225_085310.jpg

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
For anyone who is considering a rabbit. This is Peters typical fresh veggies mix. I go all organic so it costs me about $10 a week for veggies but I can steal some of his herbs to season dishes. He also gets trimmings from dinner prep a lot. Typical mix is a leaf lettuce, herbs and something else like broccoli or raddichio or endive.

IMG_20180305_173747.jpg
IMG_20180305_173818.jpg

He also gets two or three pieces of nonsulfured freeze dried no additive fruit (although in this photo he has a dried banana which is the brown thing). It's his treat to get him in for the night and usually is less then a slice of apple in size. He has hay 24/7 which he likes on the floor of his hutch and a bowl of hay pellets. It's about $40-50 a month to feed him. It could be less if I did non-organic but the organic tends to look better and come in slightly bigger bunches.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I just love looking at pictures of your Peter rabbit. :bunny:
As a vegetarian, I will say his food looks good enough to eat! :yummy:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Peter's one lucky bunny! :bunny:

Gotta say, right now, I'm just envying your green grass. Mine is yellow/brown (winter hibernation) and due to the light, white fluffies currently falling from the sky, will soon be covered white again. :sigh: I'm so ready for spring. :daisy:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Peter's one lucky bunny! :bunny:

Gotta say, right now, I'm just envying your green grass. Mine is yellow/brown (winter hibernation) and due to the light, white fluffies currently falling from the sky, will soon be covered white again. :sigh: I'm so ready for spring. :daisy:
It was a muddy mess for a while there. We just reseeded it a few weeks ago so it looks nice right now. That part of the yard we have trouble keeping green honestly.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think Peter is getting a little spoiled.

We tend to give him the ends and peels from prepping dinner. He has gotten to the point where he will only eat carrot peels, not whole carrots, just peels. Which works for us because we peel the carrots for us anyways. I think its because he can eat it as a quick strip instead of having to crunch and move his head around for a bite. Who knows.

He also only wants baby broccoli not full size. Regular parsley, not Italian parsley. He is snubbing kale lately, which was a favorite for a while. Will eat red leaf lettuce but not green leaf lettuce. Will eat all the leaf but not the spine or base of leaf lettuce either. Whatever he doesn't want ends up getting dragged to the bottom level of his hutch and eventually dragged outside the door.

I think I may have created a monster.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
And.... just because Easter is right around the corner. Just a friendly reminder, although I think most people here won't need it....

Getting a child a real bunny for Easter is a 10-15 year commitment to a living rabbit. They will grow up. They need to be spayed or neutered, probably more so then our cats because they have such a huge reproductive cancer risk. I had a female who died of ovarian cancer and I swore I would never have an unspayed female again. It was brutal and horrible and entirely preventable had I realized the risks. But it is extremely expensive and carries greater risk then a cat or dog spay/neuter. Plus unaltered rabbits can become aggressive and territorial just like other animals. Finding vet care is complicated and challenging. They are moody and can get very easily bored. They will chew on things, need toys, need interaction and, as anyone reading this can tell, are smarter then most people think.

Our Peter has a 30-45 square foot area and we are going to be expanding it because it really is too small for him long term. I keep Peter outside but it is in a secure area for running and a hutch he goes into each night. I can only do that because I live in an area where the weather is suitable year round for him. Elsewhere, he would have to live inside which is a whole bunny proofing endeavor.

Make yours chocolate if you can't take the steps to ensure a good life for any bunny you bring in your home.
5.jpg

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He's been passed out under his bush all morning. It really was tiring. Of course, he did save an egg for himself. Filled with freeze dried raspberries and blueberries of course.

IMG_20180401_124331.jpg
IMG_20180401_124540.jpg

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Glad he's having a relaxing day. ;) I guess there wasn't too much demand for his egg filled with freezed dried berries, in a world of chocoholics. :yummy:

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh my goodness, I'm so happy you took in this beautiful bunny!

For years and years, someone in my aunt's neighborhood would let a bunch of baby bunnies go at the little park next to the house every Easter. They would spread into everyone's yards, people had an impossible time catching them, and eventually, they would all disappear, most likely hit by cars and eaten by cats and dogs. Hopefully a few made it into loving homes and others into rescues. Thankfully it eventually stopped, but whoever was doing it let go A LOT of bunnies.

My mom has a bunny who is kept in the dog run when she's not running around the yard like a psycho. One night she decided to try to dig to China and made it all the way to the basement! That was at least 10 feet of digging before she plopped out, and she surely would have continued to dig if she wasn't caught. She made it back down there (and back up somehow) a couple times before they figured out how to block the tunnel.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We let Peter run around the whole yard yesterday for about 20 minutes. He seemed to have a blast. The cats were cautiously curious about him until the end. I called it on his run time when the three cats started herding him into a corner of the yard. My little hunters SMH. Peter immediatly went under his bush and passed out for a good fifteen minutes before going into his hutch to drink a lot of water.

I think we will do supervised run time on weekends. I don't feel comfortable letting him out unsupervised just because the cats were a little too coordinated towards the end there. I know cats aren't naturally pack hunters but mine do cooperate with lizards and grasshoppers already; trading off and watching each other play. Plus Peter's little heart isn't used to that much excitement and I don't want him over doing it.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Peter, the color changing rabbit. The first pictures Iposted her was white, then tipped, now.... Whatever this is.

IMG_20180509_172403.jpg

Dark patches on his hips. I am wondering if it is the tips of his fur that haven't grown out far enough. I've touched the spots and they aren't much different than his other fur, it doesn't cause discomfort and nothing has changed.

Magic bunny?