Found Rabbit

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Glad Peter got a good checkup. The spa days sounds relaxing... maybe. ;)
We'll see.... It seemed like he was good at the vet as long as his bum was supported. He got a little startled with some of the nails when it was a louder snip. But he was generally good with it. We've had to give bum baths to older rabbits before so it's not a totally new experience.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My favorite vet visits are the uneventful ones. The vet loved his set up when I showed her pictures.

Aww! He's so cute! I got my first bunny because he was someones discarded Easter pet. Glad yours found the perfect home!
It's really sad how many people discard Easter bunnies. We are fairly certain that was Peter's start in life too. It's a widespread problem though of people just not realizing how much care rabbits really need.

Resigned

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My favorite vet visits are the uneventful ones. The vet loved his set up when I showed her pictures.

It's really sad how many people discard Easter bunnies. We are fairly certain that was Peter's start in life too. It's a widespread problem though of people just not realizing how much care rabbits really need.
Yeah. I work with the local rabbit rescue and have a foster bunny right now, as well as one of my own who is 13. They can be wonderful, and I think they are less demanding than a dog or cat, but in order to become really enjoyable pets, they need to be spayed/neutered and your house needs to be bunny-proofed if they live inside.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yeah. I work with the local rabbit rescue and have a foster bunny right now, as well as one of my own who is 13. They can be wonderful, and I think they are less demanding than a dog or cat, but in order to become really enjoyable pets, they need to be spayed/neutered and your house needs to be bunny-proofed if they live inside.
We've had them indoors before, usually when they are little only. Bunny proofing inside is no joke. We had one that chewed through the PVC pipe we ran the cords through. Another one managed to squeeze between the bottom of the door and floor that is just an inch tall (granted, she was a baby).

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Another one managed to squeeze between the bottom of the door and floor that is just an inch tall (granted, she was a baby)
When I read the above, I Googled "Are rabbits" and Google's first choice for the rest of the question was "rodents". I was wondering, and apparently so were others, if rabbits were in the same family as mice and rats, as I've read rodents can squeeze through extremely tiny spaces. Rabbits are not rodents, I've now learned, although that only changed in the early 20th century when they were named to the Lagomorpha family, according to Is a rabbit a rodent? | Oxford Dictionaries

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Our house is getting fumigated so Peter is in bunny boarding. The boarding place didn't open until noon so Peter spent the morning at work with me.

After some initial "what the?!?" moments on his side ...

IMG_20190305_065211.jpg

He ended up relaxing....

IMG_20190305_083240.jpg

IMG_20190305_114559.jpg

And when I dropped him off he was off to explore his vacation space as if I wasn't there without even a "bye Mom" ....

IMG_20190305_121307.jpg

Much different from the cats who cursed me as they got dropped off for their kitty boarding.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Early Easter reminder from Peter to please not buy live pets for holidays. If you want a pet rabbit that is magical and they make great companions but please don't get one just to make your Easter basket complete.

Rabbits need vet care, and it tends to be more expensive because they are considered "exotic". Rabbits should be spayed or neutered for both serious health concerns and spraying/marking issues. Rabbits should get fresh vegetables every day (which can be annoying to run to the store twice a week to keep him fed; plus Peter is a picky bun). Rabbits need daily interaction. Rabbits cannot be kept just in a small cage in the corner; they need to run and that takes space. Rabbits are living creatures, not decoration. If you need a rabbit for your basket make it chocolate.

IMG_20190406_145532_760.jpg

8kitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Early Easter reminder from Peter to please not buy live pets for holidays. If you want a pet rabbit that is magical and they make great companions but please don't get one just to make your Easter basket complete.

Rabbits need vet care, and it tends to be more expensive because they are considered "exotic". Rabbits should be spayed or neutered for both serious health concerns and spraying/marking issues. Rabbits should get fresh vegetables every day (which can be annoying to run to the store twice a week to keep him fed; plus Peter is a picky bun). Rabbits need daily interaction. Rabbits cannot be kept just in a small cage in the corner; they need to run and that takes space. Rabbits are living creatures, not decoration. If you need a rabbit for your basket make it chocolate.

View attachment 279871
:yeah: :cheerleader::agree::jive: :redheartpump: :bunny: :redheartpump:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Peter update....

All is good in Peters world. Although I was a little slow letting him out the other day and he was overly excited to be let out. He ended up bonking his head on door before I could open it. But really, that's my fault for taking 21 seconds to cross the yard instead 20, right?

IMG_20190612_060128.jpg
IMG_20190614_192043.jpg

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Peter wanting to know when BunnyCon is because he wants toy presents from a convention like the cats got from CatCon.

IMG_20190630_155351.jpg

Peter has been Mr. Picky lately (okay let's be honest, he always is but he did some major changes recently). He recently decided green leaf lettuce is yucky but red leaf is amazing. Mangos are still number one but freeze dried grapes (Trader Joe's, check them out) are really good too. The stems of his cilantro though have fallen out of favor and lately he's been just eating the leaves. The hay blend I've been trying out that is hay mixed with pellets instead of just pellets in his bowl (he does have loose hay too) is okay. It's short pieces of hay with the pellets and some assorted seeds in the mix. It was on sale and looked interesting.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
I had no desire to have a rabbit but I have acquired one. Growing up, we typically had 2 rabbits. Free range in the yard during the day, in an outdoor hutch at night. Our last one passed away 4 years ago from ovarian cancer. It was really bad towards the end. It was very hard for my Dad who was the closest to her. That last rabbit and about 50% of our rabbits before that were abandoned bunnies who we found. In all cases we did find the original owner and in all cases the rabbit was purposefully released.

Here's a sad statistic. Rabbits can live to be 10 years old, most of ours surpassed that with our last one dying at 13. Easter bunnies though? 80% of the baby bunnies given as gifts for Easter won't live a year. They get killed by poor ownership, too small cages, boredom, and lack of care in general. They get sold or given away to new owners and fed to snakes. They get let go in a park or just outside and run over by a car or killed by predators. Domestic pet rabbits are simply the wrong colors and don't have the instinct to survive.

This rabbit was found on the side of the road. I saw it at night about halfway down the street but it was too skittish. The next day on our neighborhood message board someone said the rabbit had been caught in their yard. I offered to hold it while we looked for an owner since I already have a large cage and knowledge of bunny care.

That morning I went to the pet store for food and saw a very dirty cage on the curb. My Dad went to knock on the door and ask if it was the person's rabbit. They slammed the door on his face and the cage was pulled off the curb. So we assume that they let the rabbit go. There haven't been any responses to found posters, lost posters put up, or responses to the online message board in two weeks.

We haven't decided if we are keeping the rabbit. It has a vet appointment Monday to find out gender and a pre-check to get spayed or neutered. Reproductive cancer is a huge epidemic in rabbits so whatever happens I don't want to run the risk of cancer again. Plus the only rescue in the area for rabbits only takes ones that are spayed or neutered. At minimum we will have the rabbit for the next 6 months while we wait for a space at the rescue. So I am ordering a new hutch to give it better living space and have bought supplies to last. I have a feeling though that my Dad is already getting attached.

*sigh* I don't think the rabbit is going anywhere. Sometimes I really dislike other people, especially those who just dump their pets.

View attachment 201462
Thats TERRIBLE....and SO MEAN..to feed a snake a rabbit...People need to be put in jail for that..ANIMAL ABUSE:argh::fuming::argue::mad::disappointed::yelling::mad2::(

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, I never knew there was CatCon! That's too awesome. Peter has got to be one of the best looking bunnies around.
No I mean...I think its MEAN to feed a rabbit to a snake...I saw that in ure post...I love CATS...Rabbits are Cute also....Just dont think shud be fed to snakes..all I meant....:dunno::think::bunny:

Last edited:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thats TERRIBLE....and SO MEAN..to feed a snake a rabbit...People need to be put in jail for that..ANIMAL ABUSE:argh::fuming::argue::mad::disappointed::yelling::mad2::(
I love rabbits but.... If the snake is large enough a rabbit is valid food for it. Big snakes either need one big food or lots of little ones. It should be humanely killed before hand (both for the rabbits sake and to prevent injury to the snake). I also think it should be a rabbit that was bred to be food only because those rabbits tend to be very inbred which means they won't live a long life anyways (cancer is extremely high in feeder mice, rats and rabbits from inbreeding).