Found Rabbit

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have a little planter in Peters area that I put some bunny safe flowers in. He decided that while they weren't good for eating they were perfect for sitting in so the flowers died. This afternoon I decided to replant it with some different flowers but the Home Depot was crazy so I grabbed some herbs ready to transplant and put them in instead. These are Peters herbs, grown for him in the hydroponics and I try to include home grown greens whenever possible in his fresh foods. I'd say sometimes the mix is 100% homegrown but most of the time its more along the lines of 20% because he goes through a lot of greens.

Here is his full garden (along with some hydroponics but those just didn't do as well as I wanted so its mostly garden grown). Some things are for the humans but most in this photo is Peters.

Screenshot_20201128-165051_Photos.jpg

And here is what was left of the herbs I transplanted into his little planter after about 8 hours.

Screenshot_20201128-165106_Photos.jpg

I actually am only giving them 48 hours until fully eaten, didn't expect them to last because he's a bunny and bunny eat plants. I thought it would be a fun little thing to let him eat still living plants and see what he did with it. What he did is get annoyed that it wouldn't move and tug the whole plant halfway out of the ground and then eat the exposed roots. He doesn't like curly parsley (which is the middle one) but trying it to see if he's changed his mind) and thats still untouched. Picky bun.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Peter got another plant, or rather a few plants, curly kale. Peter loves kale and I haven't given him some in a few days. I've actually been putting the plant in and out of his area over a few days. Today he complained that the plant has gotten smaller and he needs a new one.

20201203_114343.jpg

20201203_113938.jpg

20201203_113904.jpg

Also, take a look at all the tunnels the bunny has to run through. He's not spoiled.... no, not him.

20201203_114440.jpg

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love that idea of the bunny garden! I bet Peter loved :)
My buns do love kale, but their all-time favorite foods are definitely cilantro and parsley:bunnydance:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I love that idea of the bunny garden! I bet Peter loved :)
My buns do love kale, but their all-time favorite foods are definitely cilantro and parsley:bunnydance:
His favorite is kale, but a little too high calcium so I limit it and have periods when he doesn't get it. He's particularly picky in that he like Italian parsley but not curly parsley but cilantro is pretty good. He seems to rotate through which leaf lettuce is his favorite but the darker ones are better for him so he gets more red variations then green. Carrots are eh, but if he gets them it must be carrot shavings because whole or chunks are just not the same. Spinach is not edible according to Peter, nor are dandelion greens, beet tops, mustard greens or any of the other leafy green options.

Last edited:

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I spent a large chunk of my morning reading this thread from start to finish. It’s more interesting and much more captivating than the books I’ve been reading! Thank you! Peter is a character and I loved watching his progress through your stories and photos.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I spent a large chunk of my morning reading this thread from start to finish. It’s more interesting and much more captivating than the books I’ve been reading! Thank you! Peter is a character and I loved watching his progress through your stories and photos.
Thank you.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
After the rain, there comes strawberries!

20210130_152237.jpg
20210130_152326.jpg

It's been cold (40F to 60F, cold to us) and rainy here. Peter is handling it well and his hutch has plenty of dry spots for him. Today was a beautiful crisp morning and the farmers market had these giant strawberries. Of course, Peter had to get a berry to make up for all the muddy paws.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Peter gave me a heart attack this weekend. Not too long ago, Peter discovered he could jump in pots. We caught him in a pot we thought was too high (see bunny tail and ears below).

IMG_20210207_104946_749.jpg

I like to think that he is getting stronger and can now jump that high. Going up and down the ramp in his hutch helping to build some leg muscles. But it could simply be that he just never noticed those plants until now. He does have a little ground box that I've been putting plants for him to eat (heads of lettuce and herbs). Anyways, when he got in that plant we lifted it a few inches and checked that the other plants were tall enough that he shouldn't be able to get in.

So this weekend, I went out and he was on top of his hutch. I don't have a photo because, well, panic. But he was on the green part of the roof you can see in this photo.

20201018_080542.jpg

He jumped into the round planter on the front corner of the hutch and then onto the roof of the hutch itself. When I saw him he had eaten the entire plant and seemed to be settling in for a nap on the roof of his hutch (he was cleaning his belly without a care in the world). I went over, scooped him off the roof and placed him on the ground. The two plants were removed from his area.

My mom was really mad because she didn't want him to eat them. I said to look on the bright side, his legs are strong enough and he was smart enough to figure it out. Also, if she didn't want him eating the plants she probably shouldn't have put them in his area. My Mom then called my Aunt, who had given her the plants, for some sympathy. My Aunt told her she should see the damage her dogs did to the plants those cuttings came from. Personally, I am more worried about him sliding off the roof or deciding to go into the hanging plants around there and getting stuck. Still, bunny on roof was a scary sight. Bad bunny.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
My mom was really mad because she didn't want him to eat them. I said to look on the bright side, his legs are strong enough and he was smart enough to figure it out. Also, if she didn't want him eating the plants she probably shouldn't have put them in his area. My Mom then called my Aunt, who had given her the plants, for some sympathy.
Maybe you can tell your mom the plants are replaceable but Peter is not. 🐰 🤗

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Since oranges like my area, Peter always gets fresh oranges when they are in season. Plus the peel makes a great natural fiber source. Today he got to try a Cara Cara Orange for the first time ever. At first he wasn't too sure about it but once he got a taste it vanished.

FB_IMG_1615072708224.jpg
FB_IMG_1615072702585.jpg
FB_IMG_1615072705377.jpg

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Since Easter is approaching, just a friendly reminder that bunnies don't belong in baskets.

A rabbit is just as much of a commitment as any other animal. They take time, need space and specialized care to thrive. Sadly, most rabbits gifted at Easter will die after living short lives filled with poor care or be abandoned when they become inconvenient. Peter Rabbit was likely an Easter rabbit who was let go when his family decided they didn't want him anymore. I don't hold ill will towards them for their actions but their poor care resulted in him having muscle atrophy, weak bones and bad teeth. He got lucky but not all rabbits do. Here are just two recent posts from my local rabbit rescue:

Point Blur_Mar242021_093112.jpg

Screenshot_20210324-093015_Facebook.jpg

If you really want a rabbit, please make sure you've researched their needs and are prepared for a 10+ year commitment. Or better yet, adopt a rabbit from a rescue.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I, in all my wisdom, decided to get Peter a raised outdoor dog bed. Smallest size I could get but a nice steel frame and sturdy material. Something he could lay on to get off the ground and stretch out on to cool off on hot days. Peter, in all his bunny wisdom, has decided that it is not a bed to lay on. It is a wonderful cave that he can lounge under. It's quickly becoming his (2nd) favorite place to stretch out. The bush with his hallow under it is still the top one, but he can see better from under the bed.

IMG_20210329_180554_257.jpg