Found pregnant cat

kitkatkittygirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi, just a quick question.

We took in a stray not too long ago. It's now obvious she is pregnant. I'm not sure how far.
My question is while petting her today, I noticed clear fluid beading on her nipple.
She sleeps 20 hours a day.
Is she pretty far along to be having nipples leaking clear fluid?
She will be fixed after the kittens are weaned. We plan on keeping and fixing the kittens also.
Thank you, I am not experienced at all with this.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If her nipples are leaking she is getting close to her time. If you see white crust on her nipples it's milk. Pregnant cats sleep loads!

Good you are getting her fixed when the kittens wean, and also planning to take care of the kittens.

Welcome to the site! We have lots of links on pregnant cat care and kitten care that you can read in the meantime! :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She may still have some weeks to go. When did you first notice her nipples getting pink?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kitkatkittygirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's been quite a few weeks now.
She is very small. 6lbs or so.
I can feel 2 moving, but no more than that so far.
I took her for an eye issue last week.
He gave her Terramycin Ophthalmic Ointment.
He did not however check her pregnancy out. He wouldn't even touch her.
We will be finding a new vet.

kitkatkittygirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you for answering my questions. I'm so lost :)

ellag

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
bless you for taking her in! you might want to go ahead and get her nesting box ready. a nice quiet place out of the way where she will feel safe having her babies..

kitkatkittygirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She has a nice box in my room away from the kids and everyone else. We have no other pets so it's pretty quiet in there.
She lays in the box some. She is very loving and sweet.
Almost all the fur is gone around her nipples.
Oddly she looks somewhat smaller today.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Geez ... That is strange. Good you are looking for a new vet.

Well, cat pregnancy averages 65 days. If she is beginning to leak she probably only has a week or two at most.

Is she getting lots of kitten chow and wet food? Go ahead and make a nest for her to use, lined with something soft, and preferably in a dark, quiet place like a closet. Show it to her.

Buy a can of powdered KMR (kitten milk replacement) and mix it and give her a dish or two daily to drink. The kittens will also drink it when they are weaning. It's at Walmart and pet stores. It's filled with vitamins and minerals they all need! Good to have on hand with a syringe in case one needs supplementing.

Signs of impending labor include discharge, dilating vulva, rippling belly, and extreme restlessness.

We're here for you! :)

kitkatkittygirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you, yes she eats dry kitten food and eats 2 cans of wet food a day.
I will get the KMR tomorrow. I free feed her the dry food.
I'm just nervous about her eye now. It's mostly a clear discharge.
It's sad how people throw away pets. :(

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It is sad how people abandon pets. They do it all the time! Many people on this site are dealing with rescues. The cat in my avatar was a pregnant stray I took in back in February. That's one of her four kittens with her. I have kept all of them, all have been fixed, and all are healthy. Kittens are 15 weeks old now. People turn out pregnant cats every day - didn't get them fixed, don't want the responsibility of kittens, and don't care!

Anyway, off my soap box, the terramycin is great for eye infections. It will clear up soon.

I know this kitty appreciates having a home! :)

kitkatkittygirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you, I'm sure I'll be back with more questions. I'm guessing I'll stalk if labor happens.
We lost an old man dog back in the fall. Knowing how much work and cost pets are, we did not get another animal right away.
I couldn't leave her outside. We don't have a lot of money, but we will take care of her and the kittens. :)

sadiegirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you, I'm sure I'll be back with more questions. I'm guessing I'll stalk if labor happens.
We lost an old man dog back in the fall. Knowing how much work and cost pets are, we did not get another animal right away.
I couldn't leave her outside. We don't have a lot of money, but we will take care of her and the kittens.
I have another cat named Dexter who I thought was a male but is now pregnant who visits me for fresh food and water.Her sister who I had named Sadiegirl but later found out her name is Karma was pregnant as well.There is 3 cats that come to my house outside to feed daily as a routine.Only one Karma stays with us all of the time.But I have not let her in the house except for when it is raining to hard and windy and it gets wet under the porch.We have a cat named Kittyboy and  rescued him back in 2004 and he was full grown so I do not how old he is but we do know he is has to be 14 or 15 and I do not want to bring another cat into the house full time to stress Kittyboy out.We just lost 3 cats in one year that we have had for 19 and 12 and another would of made 20 years old just this past March so it is difficult to take another cat into our home.So I understand the cost especially if there in door cats cat litter,advantage once a month,dry food wet food and medicine when needed.And the vet bills can get very expensive.It cost me over 150.00 a month for many years for four cats but they were indoor cats only.So much money went to 3 litter boxes thoroughly cleaned once a week and I buy the kind with that does not fly around like dust. So I keep feeding these lovely cats out doors and I try to keep them healthy as I can.Karma is the only one who will let me touch her so she does get some loving and advantage once a month for fleas.I feel so bad for any animal who is left behind in a move or just not loved.I would like to congratulate you on taking this beautiful mother cat in and loving her and soon to be kittens.

kitkatkittygirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you. :)
There are two more strays that come around here. I'm thinking one is the dad. I actually think he is the neighbors cat.
I wouldn't let her back out without being fixed.
I really don't plan on her going out at all anymore.
She seems happy in here with us.
Now we play the waiting game I guess.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you, yes she eats dry kitten food and eats 2 cans of wet food a day.
I will get the KMR tomorrow. I free feed her the dry food.
I'm just nervous about her eye now. It's mostly a clear discharge.
It's sad how people throw away pets.
You're right. It is sad how people throw out animals when they become "inconvenient". 
     You see it a lot with pregnant cats. Thank you for helping this little mama and her babies. If she's happy inside, I wouldn't let her out anymore either.  

kitkatkittygirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just found her laying on her side breathing kind of quick. Not panting but definitely faster than usual. I tried to look at her a bit. This is the first time she will not let me touch her back or belly.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sounds like she is in labor! Probably having contractions. Let me know how it's going.

kitkatkittygirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She is licking herself a lot.
I'm worried about her eye infection passing to her kittens.
I might have to call a different vet.
She is definitely off.
It's a little wet down there.