Found kittens, not sure if I should try and catch them

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I don’t know if it is just my anxiety kicking in but I’m having second thoughts about trapping them tomorrow. I have never trapped cats before so I’m not sure how it will go. I also don’t know if I will be able to trap mom because I’ve only seen her once and she fled before I even got within 50 feet of the bush. Will the kittens be alright without mom if they are around 5-6 weeks old? I also don’t know if I have the time to socialize them, and giving them to the local shelter may be the best option.
Oh, they will manage fine if they are 5-6 weeks. They will have a loving caretaker, and they will have each other for company. (and perhaps even a friendly resident?? but let a vet check up them first before you let resident and kittens meet. Unless the resident is himself an ex homeless, or at least, very used to go outside; ie you are sure the cat has a very good immune system).
Its one of the few exceptions of the holy rule of absolut minimum of 8 weeks; its to take them from a shy semiferale mom, to get them easily fully socialized.

The other exception is of course; dire necessity, when you try to save what can be saved in a desperate situation...

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Just do the best you can! The idea is that mom will eventually go in the trap to eat, often overnight. You don’t need to be near to trap.

Line the bottom of the trap with cardboard or newspaper so their paws do not get caught in the wiring. Bring along a towel to cover the trap for transport. It calms the cat or kittens inside.

In my area, local shelters will send experienced volunteers out to trap for you. The shelter then gives the kittens to fosters to raise until they are ready for adoption. Make some calls - there are resources out there if you do your homework!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ChunkyNaomBaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I went out there and managed to catch two. I didn’t even see the other three kittens. I hope they didn’t get hurt. I also did not see mom at all. Could she have been in the process of moving them?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So I went out there and managed to catch two. I didn’t even see the other three kittens. I hope they didn’t get hurt. I also did not see mom at all. Could she have been in the process of moving them?
she could. But dont regret you took these two and try to return them to momma. THIS is their golden chance to get a good life; to become fully socialized and get good adoption homes...

ChunkyNaomBaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I took the two kittens I caught home and got them set up in a large dog crate in our garage. I went back to the area to see if any of the other kittens were there and saw the black one, but it’s really skittish and traffic started to pick up so I decided to not trap again until evening or tomorrow morning before work. The two kittens I picked up didn’t seem to have runny eyes or any signs of uri. I’m gonna wait until they are a little more settled to pick them up to look for fleas and find out their gender. I also need to call the local shelter to see if they even have space for them, or if they offer a foster program where vaccines and exams are covered. This Saturday I’m flying out of state for a week, so if I can’t bring them to a shelter I need to find someone willing to take care of and help socialize them.

ChunkyNaomBaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cats and kittens sleep a lot during the day. Good times to go are early morning and early evening as cats are nocturnal.

How are the two doing?
They are less feisty then I though they would be, just scared. I had to pick one of them up out of the trap because it wouldn’t get out by itself and it was surprisingly calm, just a tiny hiss. I left them some food and water, and a litter box. Covered their cage and let them have some peace and quiet.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Handle them now, very slowly and gently. Offer a dish of kitten formula to drink. They are very frightened right now. It will take a little time.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Get a blanket or a towel, cover your hand with it and reach into the carrier to pick one of them up. Wrap them up so that their little claws can't snag you and hold them on your lap while you offer them food.

I had to syringe feed one of my most recent rescues because she was too scared to lap when I first started handling her. After about 2-3 days of feeding them this way several times a day they learn to associate people with food.

First day feeding
2_R.jpg

Third day feeding. Use the same blanket at first, even if it gets a bit grubby, because it will have their smell plus the smell of formula on it
Kiji5.jpg

When you go back to look for the rest of the family take the blanket that has the smell of these two kittens on it. The smell will reassure the others and attract the mother.

ChunkyNaomBaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was planning on socializing them myself, but I am not able to anymore. There was a death in my family, and I do not feel well enough to care for them and give them the attention they deserve. I tried to contact the local shelter and spcas, but I am only able to leave voicemails. I don’t know who else to contact.
I wasn’t able to catch any more kittens from the litter or their mom. I don’t think I will be able to try for a while.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so very sorry. I logged in just to check on you and saw of your loss. I experienced a loss during my trapping time too. It felt like a weight upon me until I saw a little face outside. No, I did not feel like trying again either. I just kept thinking of the little one being without too. The kitty kept turning up and I finally did get it. Cats have a way of giving back to us. I hope you can find some small comfort in the fact that you saved two lives. No doubt about that. Every life counts and you saved two. That is an amazing thing to do and we are all most grateful to you for having done that. I don’t know what you must be having to do right now but I highly recommend sitting with those two little ones when you can. Just laying on the floor with them may bring a feeling you never expected. Socializing kittens that age is rarely much more than some care and loving. They give the love given the chance. My hope for you is that they can help your heart. I believe they can. Our hearts are with you too.:grouphug2:

ChunkyNaomBaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here’s an update. I tried taking them to the shelter in our jurisdiction, but they did not have space for them. They apparently have 300 kittens in the shelter and in foster care. I decided to use the foster program a shelter near me offers, they give vaccines, flea treatment, and spay/neuter for free and take the kittens when they are old enough to be adopted. Here are some update photos of them.

Attachments

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
That's great! That will really help with the cost of rescuing these kittens and mean they have an excellent chance of finding good homes.

How about the other kittens and the mother? Were there any rescues that could help you trap them?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You’re doing great! It’s kitten season and as you see, fosters are so needed. You are doing a great service.

If you can possibly catch any more, perhaps this shelter will cover them too as your fosters. We need more folks like you! Thank you so much.

They are adorable. I am so pleased that you have found help. Please do keep us updated. I know this is not an easy time for you.