Found feral kittens, don't know what to do

theyremine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Did you try calling a community no kill rescue? They are usually all volunteer and while they might not be able to help you out completely, they may be able to help with the trapping. If you offer to foster the kittens, you are more likely to get help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KittyPhoenix

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's also an option for me, I have found some no kill rescues in the area that I will contact if need be. I am very likely unable to foster the kittens. Thank you!

KittyPhoenix

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I guess my current plan is to find someone local and have options to fall back on, such as a no kill rescue and such.

KittyPhoenix

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have received a reply that gave me the contact to the foster manager at our local humane society. They also relayed information saying that although they cannot currently do TNR, there is another organization they are referring people to. Would this be a good option? I am going to wait until tomorrow to do anything, because I want to wait on other responses was well. What I gather from the info relayed is that they will take the kittens if they are above six weeks and TNR the mother.

KittyPhoenix

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Someone has also offered to allow me to use their humane trap, so there is another option.

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great! Reach out to the TNR group if you can and see if they're available. I'm not a kitten expert but I'm pretty sure those are more than 6 weeks old by now. Ask that they return the kittens to you (or if you have a foster/adopter set up by then) instead of releasing them though. Sometimes the spay/neuter clinic will do ferals for a discounted price, but they require that the ear be "tipped." This means trimming off the edge of the ear, which is a universal sign that a cat has been fixed. It's not typically done for cats that have owners because most people prefer that their cat's ears are intact, but since the fate of these kittens is still uncertain, I think getting the ear tip is worth it if it means a quick and inexpensive spay/neuter.

If they have a long wait time, assuming this is something you still want to do, borrow that trap and start prepping a cage. I can find you some instructions for trapping, although your case is a little different because you don't need them to be fixed the day of necessarily, your priority is getting them safe first.

KittyPhoenix

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone, I have updates! Someone on next door also gave me the contact of someone who works at a no kill rescue in the area. I contacted that person today, and she said she can provide me with traps to trap the cats. After trapping, I will TNR the mother and she will get the kittens into foster homes.

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sorry for the last minute two cents, but it's important that the kittens are no longer nursing before they're separated from their mom. The colostrum in the mother's milk is vitally important to their health.

Thanks for caring about these kitties !

KittyPhoenix

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How old are they usually when they stop nursing? In my opinion they are close to being 8 weeks old. I'm really unsure if they still feed or not.

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How old are they usually when they stop nursing? In my opinion they are close to being 8 weeks old. I'm really unsure if they still feed or not.
I believe 8 weeks but Google it, and look at credible sources, like universities or well known rescue and shelter sites. Alley Cat Allies, Best Friends, Maddie's Fund and Cornell Veterinary University are my go-to sources for cat information.

theyremine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
At 8 weeks they should be eating on their own. I have fostered feral kittens at 8 weeks with no issues. However, the window for easily socializing them will close soon, so please continue your pursuit of help.

KittyPhoenix

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am going on saturday to go get the traps, now it is a question of how to trap the cats. How exactly do I go about trapping cats? I don't know what traps I am going to be given yet, but I do want to kind of understand how I am going to do this

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am going on saturday to go get the traps, now it is a question of how to trap the cats. How exactly do I go about trapping cats? I don't know what traps I am going to be given yet, but I do want to kind of understand how I am going to do this
They will most likely be cage traps with either a door on each end or just on one end. These types of traps have a trigger plate in the middle that releases the door when stepped on, so you'll want to put whatever you use as bait (tuna is a good choice) right behind it so a Cat will have to step on the trigger plate to get to the bait. You'll want to ask them for instructions on how to set the trap because each brand is different.

Here's a good video on trapping feral cats.

This one will give you a decent idea of how to take care of mom+babies if you plan to or end up having to keep them in your home for a while

Last edited:

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Excellent! That's first video from Talien Talien covers all the steps well. I would add that it's not a bad idea to scrub the traps a little with soap and water first, because I have been told that some cats can smell fear pheromones from previously trapped cats and will avoid it.

When you set the traps, make sure you have your plan ready to go, because you can't keep them in the trap for very long. Either be set up to pass the cat/kitten on to someone else, take them to the vet that day or the next day, or have your cage set up in your garage to transfer them. You can kind of control where mom goes by taking advantage of her desire to hide. Have a hiding place (preferably a carrier, but a cardboard box will do in a pinch) in the back of your cage so that she'll bolt straight into that as soon as she's let out of the trap, and she'll retreat to that when you open the cage to give her food as well. The kittens will probably be a little timid but still curious about you, and you or whoever is picking them up will probably be able to grab them with gloved hands as long as mom stays back.

I think your're right that your kittens are old enough to be taken away from their mother. Maybe if everyone was tame we would leave them with mom for a few more weeks, but the rules are a little looser with ferals because the earlier that human socialization happens and the sooner they're safely inside the better.

KittyPhoenix

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am going today to get the traps from the rescue, and I will speak to my contact about what the next steps are when it comes to kitten transfer. I know I will be giving them to her for her to get them into foster homes, but I will discuss with her how exactly I will get them to her. I'll figure everything out, get a secure plan, and then I'll get to trapping. I'll update you guys!

KittyPhoenix

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have the traps now and I set one up yesterday, but much to my dismay it seems the cats have moved. Last I saw them they were in my neighbor's yard, but I did not see them all of yesterday. My neighbors were on vacation and now they are back, so I don't know if they are still in the yard or not. Any tips on trying to find them or where to set the trap? I want to get them by Saturday if that's at all possible. Is it possible they'll move back to where they were before? I don't want it to be too late for the kittens. When I first discovered them they looked to be around 3-4 weeks old, and that was almost exactly a month ago, so they are basically at 8 weeks I think.

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you know where they went put the traps there (ask your neighbors for an idea), and if not keep them where they're used to getting food or water from you. Do not leave them out overnight though. You really don't want to trap a raccoon!

KittyPhoenix

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They don't visit my water anymore from what I've seen. My mom said she saw one of the kittens jumping through the fence today across my neighbor's yard, but afterwards there was no sight of them. I'm going to keep looking and possibly set up a trap in my neighbor's yard with the chance that the kittens will hopefully play in the yard and explore the trap.

The neighbors came back yesterday, and they said they'll let me do whatever I need. Previously they have only seen mama cat, but that was last week before they left, and I have been seeing the kittens up until Monday. But my mom said she saw one today so hopefully her eyes did not deceive her.

KittyPhoenix

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I haven't found the cats yet. I haven't seen really any traces of them. My mom claims she has been hearing meows in the morning, so I will wake up early to see if I can hear them too. Is there a way I can lure them or something? My neighbor hasn't seen them at all either and most of my surrounding neighbors have dogs so I doubt they moved into other yards. A bit stumped at this point.