Found Feral Kitten

gfromleeds

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys after the exellent advise i got last year when we had a poorly kitten this is the first place i thought of asking about my most recent problem
So one of my friends works at a waste recycling plant and the other day i got a phone call from him
During moving a big pile of rubbish (about 200 tonnes) they found a feral kitten thats about 6 weeks old! Unfortunately they also found a dead adult cat that must have been little ones mother which must have being caught by the machinery :(
Hes asked me if a wanted to look after it as it wound certainly get killed by the machinery so i accepted
Now weve had it for a few days and things arnt going too well
Its eating and pooping fine but its not in anyway litter trained and its so skittish it wont come out from behind the furniture (even pooping there)
Weve tryed putting it in a quite roome and it still constantly hides
She (assuming it is a she) physically shakes when we pick her up
And im starting to think i might be out of my depth
Can anyone offer any advise to help her become tame/comfortable around humans
Also hkw to litter train her as she currently has no intrest in the litter tray
Many thanks
Gav

kittypa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First of all, hang in there.

A year ago tomorrow, we found a 6 week old feral kitten. It took some effort to tame her. My wife and I took turns just hanging out in the room with her. I would bring a book or a lap top and just sit for as long as I could. It took four days before she would come out and eat when we were in the room. It was 10 days before we could pet her.

She was extremely angry at first.

At 6 weeks old it takes a LOT more effort than at 4 weeks. Two weeks is a big difference at that age.

Figgy6c.jpg

kittypa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know what to say about the litter training. Whatever the solution, it probably will not happen until the kitten becomes a little more comfortable in it's environment.

kittypa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This was after 6 days. She was becoming curious and showing interest in play, but not yet ready to be touched. She decided she would take a couple swats at my hand from a safe distance.

LittlePlay1.jpg

LittlePlay2.jpg

LittlePlay3.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gfromleeds

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well shes not aggressive she does somtimes hiss at us though, she will let us pick her up but clearly shaking scared when we do. and when we put her down she immediately runs back behind the furniture

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
That looks like typical play to me not aggressive behaviour. You should see if she will play with a string or small toy. Not anything large or intimidating like a wand toy that could spook her.

When her ears are up like that it means she is playing. Flat or airplane ears (ears to the side like the wings of a fighter plane) indicate fear or uncertainty.

kittypa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That looks like typical play to me not aggressive behaviour. You should see if she will play with a string or small toy. Not anything large or intimidating like a wand toy that could spook her.

When her ears are up like that it means she is playing. Flat or airplane ears (ears to the side like the wings of a fighter plane) indicate fear or uncertainty.
The pics are of a different kitty, not the OP's kitten. I was just posting for example/fun. Sorry for the confusion.

kittypa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well shes not aggressive she does somtimes hiss at us though, she will let us pick her up but clearly shaking scared when we do. and when we put her down she immediately runs back behind the furniture
For now, the answer is spend as much time as you can with her. Her comfort level with you will grow and she will fear you less. See if you can get her interested in play. Be gentile about it. Also see that she has some toys to entertain herself with when you aren't there. Ping pong balls are good as are small mousie toys. Maybe you have already done this, I don't know.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would confine her to a small area, such as a large dog crate and give her a small litterbox with a "topping" of a small amount of used litter on top of unscented litter, so she smells what litter is used for. Cats need to own their space and also they like to have caes as their base camp, so the crate
Will allow her to establish her base camp a little at a time.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have three six week old feral kittens in my bathroom. I have been watching youtube video's looking for tips. I got some good idea's from doing that. One of the things was to buy some human baby food (meat flavored without garlic) and put it on your finger for the kitten to lick off. You can do this while you are playing with them. I am confining them to the bathroom unless I am supervising them or holding them. Mine are learning to use the litter box. The reason given for them not using the litter box in one of the video's is because of stress. Once the kitten feels safe it will probably use the box, but until then I agree it needs to be confined. You can wrap them up in a towels and pet them. Do that like three times a day, so the baby get's used to being touched. You can do it after a meal so they are sleepy and rock them like a baby and talk softly to them. The more time you spend around them the better.

kittypa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would confine her to a small area, such as a large dog crate and give her a small litterbox with a "topping" of a small amount of used litter on top of unscented litter, so she smells what litter is used for. Cats need to own their space and also they like to have caes as their base camp, so the crate
I did something like that for two kittens I found. I made a little "patio" to go with it.

environment.jpg

cage.jpg

BombayKittyLover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This worked for me and is a good idea. You could also try putting her in a room, along with all of her essentials, and get to know her there. Once you think she is ready you can let her out. Best of luck to one cute kitten!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hello gfromleeds, the above posters gave you pretty good suggestions. As the kitten is new to the surroundings, sights and sounds, its natural for her to hide.

Get down on your fours or lay flat on the floor and present yourself as small as possible to her so that you don't look like a giant and that's a threat to her.

By letting you pick her up, is a good sign. Whenever you pick her up, speak softly and lovingly to her and let her get use to your calm voice.

Plug up all hiding spots and get a crate or cardboard box to use as a safe place. Kittens like cardboard boxes. Cut an entrance for her so that she can move in and out. It takes time but remember, love, patience and routine rules the day.

Let her explore the room herself at her own time and you can place some blankets that she used and put them around the room so that when she ventures out, there's her own familiar scent and that way she'll feel safe.

Do keep us posted of the progress :wink:

gfromleeds

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That sounds like a plan we've got a big dog cage in the shed ill dig it out and try that
Wheres best to put it?
Corner of main room, in a quiet room or exposed werr it can see us?

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From the video's I'm watching they say put it in a quiet room for the first day or two and then move it to a busy room.

kittypa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That sounds like a plan we've got a big dog cage in the shed ill dig it out and try that
Wheres best to put it?
Corner of main room, in a quiet room or exposed werr it can see us?
She has been with you for a couple days now so put it in a room where she will be with you. I think she needs a lot of contact with you to establish a bond with you. Watch her for a few hours, and if she looks too frightened and doesn't progress through it, then move her to a quieter place.

Will she eat when you are there with her ? With our little one it became a game of inches. Moving the food a little closer to me every time I fed her.

gfromleeds

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She will eat if were in the room but has to be at a distance and if anyone so much as flinches, she off like a rocket back behind the sofa
We put her in the cage today in the corner next to to sofa and she cryed for a few minutes then settled down so hopfully she will get used to being close to us

gfromleeds

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Very good
shes still in the cage when were not there to watch her
But when we let her out she will cut across the room instead of walking the perimeter behind the furniture
She will eat out in the open now (not that she has much choice) she lets us pick her up and stroke her and occasionally even has a little purr
But shes still very skittish where if anyone moves to quickly she bolts for the back of the sofa or back to her cage! whichever closest
But the best bit is if shes close to the bars when were sat next to her if we put our fingers in she sometimes comes up for a scratch on her head
She seams to understand what the litter tray is for if shes in the cage but she still goes wherever if shes out of it so a bit more work to be done there
But all in all a totally different kitten from a week ago
Weve been trying to keep our adult cats away from her as they just hiss at her and scare her. Whens best to introduce them?