Found blood on sheet where my cat lays

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, I found a couple of what looks like dried blood smears on my bed (more brown than red)and it's where my cats hindquarters and back legs would have been touching. I'm almost certain it's not insect (bed bug) related; it's too big for that. I Examined him and he looks ok, but I'm concerned. I've seen similar stains where he slept too, and am a little concerned he might be ill. There's what looks like the tip of a nail on the bed, but his feet look ok. I just don't want him to have bloodin his urine or something. I'll post a pic if it helps. He seems healthy.

Health wise, my cat just came back from the vet, and he seems to be using litterbox fine. He was pulling at a nail the other day, but wouldn't there be bloid tracks on the bed from when he jumped up? Might he be leaking blood from an orifuce?? [emoji]128543[/emoji]

Last edited:

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How is he doing today? Any more spots? I would suspect his nail if it was bothering him like that.

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it was from his urethra it would be more pink that would be your biggest worry. my kitty had a blockage and that's what it looked like on the sheets. Does his backside look ok? He could have irritation there. I would take him for an exam if you see it again.

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, I found a couple of what looks like dried blood smears on my bed (more brown than red)and it's where my cats hindquarters and back legs would have been touching. I'm almost certain it's not insect (bed bug) related; it's too big for that. I Examined him and he looks ok, but I'm concerned. I've seen similar stains where he slept too, and am a little concerned he might be ill. There's what looks like the tip of a nail on the bed, but his feet look ok. I just don't want him to have bloodin his urine or something. I'll post a pic if it helps. He seems healthy.

Health wise, my cat just came back from the vet, and he seems to be using litterbox fine. He was pulling at a nail the other day, but wouldn't there be bloid tracks on the bed from when he jumped up? Might he be leaking blood from an orifuce?? [emoji]128543[/emoji]
 I would start monitoring and examining his stool as that is a likely possibility.  If it was in his urine, it would likely look much more dilute light pink urine instead of blood.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all so very much for responding. It was suggested to me that I drop his stool in my toilet to see if it turns red. I do have clumping litter and it looks normal on first sight. Once in a while his anus looks inflamed. Like--scabby? Can cats have hemmoroids?

What's bothering me is I never see this on the sofa, or on his bed, other places he sleeps. Of course, he sleeps in a different position there, so his butt might not be touching anything.

Last edited:

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you all so very much for responding. It was suggested to me that I drop his stool in my toilet to see if it turns red. I do have clumping litter and it looks normal on first sight. Once in a while his anus looks inflamed. Like--scabby? Can cats have hemmoroids?

What's bothering me is I never see this on the sofa, or on his bed, other places he sleeps. Of course, he sleeps in a different position there, so his butt might not be touching anything.
Sometimes cats have a little poop sticking to their rears and it gets wiped off.  I've never heard of cats with hemorrhoids but they do get impacted anal glands (that's when you see them scooting - dragging their butt on the ground) and if they have a GI issue like a parasite it can create bloody stool.  Bloody stool can also be a result of inflamed intestines. At the least keep an eye on it, and if you want to you can bring a stool sample to your vet for testing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He was recently dewormed, but I've seen a couple spots where he secretly threw up recently. But he seems very healthy, and my vet seems to think I worry too much. I will keep an eye out, however. I was pretty sure he had worms after a surprise flea infestation. That's when the first odd spot showed up on my sheets.