Found baby kitten! Help!

amandalynnxo92

The Cat Hoarder
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey y’all, it’s been a while since I’ve posted here. Today while returning home from work, I heard a load cry from what sounded like a grown cat. Upon further inspection, it was a tiny baby grey kitten hiding in tall grass. No mom or litter mates to be found. So naturally I picked it up and brought it inside to warm up and eat something delicious.
It is the smallest kitten I’ve ever seen, I don’t think it needs to be bottle fed tho as it ate up wet food and drank water just fine. It’s eyes are also not blue anymore.
I’m saying it mostly because I really can’t determine the sex. My initial thought was male, but then when I saw no balls (sorry for the vulgarity) I thought oh a female. But now that it’s sleeping in my lap and I’m getting a better view, I see no slit and it looks heavily like a scrotom.
I’m obviously going to take it to the vet tomorrow and get them all sorted out and up to health (even tho it doesn’t seem to be sick, just a drooling eye).
mostly im posting here to get a better understanding of kitten need and to determine its gender. It’s been a very long time since I’ve owned a kitten and I’ve never owned one this young before.

Attachments

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Feed it as much as it will eat and love up on it as much as you can. It does look male to me as well but at that age, it can be deceiving. :lol: I hope the vet visit goes well and there are no issues.

Mochiandme

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He's a boy. He looks 7-9 weeks. Keep him warm and make sure he's eating. I would check him for fleas... if you have a flea comb? If not, check his lower back near the tail for black flea poop, it's like dandruff. If you see some, I would give him a bath with dawn dish soap. Fleas spread quickly. It seems like he's friendly so maybe someone owns him, but the vet can check for a microchip.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amandalynnxo92

The Cat Hoarder
Young Cat
Purraise
Feed it as much as it will eat and love up on it as much as you can. It does look male to me as well but at that age, it can be deceiving. :lol: I hope the vet visit goes well and there are no issues.
Right!? I had my boyfriend look to make sure I wasn’t wrong and then he was like “where are the balls?” I was like “...do kitten balls drop after a certain age like with human males?!”
So far all it wants to do is cuddle on a blanket in a warm lap. And it most definitely has a full belly and lots of love. 💕

amandalynnxo92

The Cat Hoarder
Young Cat
Purraise
He's a boy. He looks 7-9 weeks. Keep him warm and make sure he's eating. I would check him for fleas... if you have a flea comb? If not, check his lower back near the tail for black flea poop, it's like dandruff. If you see some, I would give him a bath with dawn dish soap. Fleas spread quickly. It seems like he's friendly so maybe someone owns him, but the vet can check for a microchip.
I knew I should have trusted my initial gut instinct. My boyfriend and I had guessed 7-8. I was really praying I didn’t have to bottle feed him as I am ill prepared in that area as far as experience goes. I did check him for fleas, felt his tummy and checked his ears. He honestly looks like the picture of health besides maybe being underweight. No mites, no ticks or fleas and no worm belly. Lord only knows how this poor baby ended up where he did. I will most definitely check to make sure he’s not lost but if he is a stray, we plan on keeping him. 💕

Mochiandme

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I knew I should have trusted my initial gut instinct. My boyfriend and I had guessed 7-8. I was really praying I didn’t have to bottle feed him as I am ill prepared in that area as far as experience goes. I did check him for fleas, felt his tummy and checked his ears. He honestly looks like the picture of health besides maybe being underweight. No mites, no ticks or fleas and no worm belly. Lord only knows how this poor baby ended up where he did. I will most definitely check to make sure he’s not lost but if he is a stray, we plan on keeping him. 💕
He does look super healthy and love it :redheartpump:. Everyone needs a cat in their lives lol.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think he's a stray; his fur shows signs of exposure, so I don't think he was a housecat that got lost. His mother probably isn't fully wild so she didn't teach him that humans are scary. He does look really healthy though!

He's definitely a boy, and his balls have probably dropped by this age, they're just really small still. Usually you don't see obvious testicles until at least 4 months. But vets commonly do neuters as young as 8 weeks.

If you think he needs extra nutrition, it wouldn't hurt to add a bit of KMR to his canned food for a few weeks.

amandalynnxo92

The Cat Hoarder
Young Cat
Purraise
We just got back from the vet. This little guy is definitely a boy. 7 weeks old the vets would guess and 1.6 pounds.
No fleas, no worms no ear mites. Blood test came back negative. Someone had to have been taking care of this kitten because it’s unusual to find a stray without even fleas.
But to leave him outside in the rain while he cries? Screw them. They’re not getting this sweet boy back.
Their loss, my gain. Welcome home, little man.

Attachments

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We just got back from the vet. This little guy is definitely a boy. 7 weeks old the vets would guess and 1.6 pounds.
No fleas, no worms no ear mites. Blood test came back negative. Someone had to have been taking care of this kitten because it’s unusual to find a stray without even fleas.
But to leave him outside in the rain while he cries? Screw them. They’re not getting this sweet boy back.
Their loss, my gain. Welcome home, little man.
Wow! That is great that your boy had zero issues. My two didn't have fleas but they did have roundworm and ear mites which was easily treated. Love your little boy up and I agree, screw the person who left him out in the rain!