Found An Injured Kitten, Any Advice?

GyaaneAbe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Found an injured kitten, it was bitten by what we believe is a poisonous animal. (it isn't exactly uncommon where I live) We've already brought it to the vet and gotten treatment. They told us to give it three days.

I have no idea how old it is. its ears look fully formed and its eyes seem open enough for it to see. Its been drinking plenty of water from a bowl, but won't touch the kitten formula thats right next to it. The injury seems pretty fresh so its likely in shock i think. Also went to the bathroom in the box already without my needing to stimulate it.

I've had it overnight and it kept me up the entire time (not surprised). But typically it would meow a bit, then stop. But all of a sudden it started jumping out of its box and wandering all while crying quite loudly.

Is it trying to look for its mother?
Should I try to find its mother? (will probaly never find it due to the nature of my house and where I found it)
What can I do to get it to be calm or at least stay in its box?
is it necessary to get a bottle to feed it?
how do I respond to its crying/meowing?

The help is much appreciated.

p.s. I don't actually know if we'll keep it, but we'll at least try to nurse it back to health.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How old did the vet think this kitten is? Can you call the vet and ask based on age, how much the kitten should be eating and how often? I would say every two hours, but I am not sure how much per feeding. Kitten formula - as in food or milk?

If very young, bottle feeding with kitten milk might be required. Or, at a minimum, use a small, sterilized syringe (no needle) and feed it a few drops into the cheek area for each swallow and keep that up for possibly an hour. You need to measure out an amount based on what the vet tells you and make sure you can get the kitten to take it.

You might also need to provide extra warmth for it - again depending on how old it is. Lots of blankets, and even a lot of cuddly time with you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GyaaneAbe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Vet couldn't tell us anything about its age. I have a syringe and have been trying to feed it but it won't open its mouth. Its face is swollen so maybe it can't, but its been able to drink water from a bowl so not too sure.

I'll give the vet another call, haven't been able to yet cause of the timing of everything.

The kitten formula refers to milk. Its come with a chart, so i have rough estimate on how much i need to feed it. But again it won't eat.

Its quiet warm where I live so hopefully won't be a problem in the day, but will try to get a hold of a heating pad for the night.

its behavior right now is strange to me (not being very familiar with this at all). Its wandering around my room all while crying, sitting down for a bit, then going off again. is it looking for its mother?

I haven't gotten much sleep because of it (have had it for about 12 hours). Anything I can do to help with that?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's behavior sounds like it is hungry and looking for it's mother to nurse from.

When you say the mouth is swollen, is that where the bite occurred? If the syringe is small enough you should be able to kind of push it gently into the side of it's mouth (not on the swollen side if possible) toward the cheek - just a bit of a drip from the syringe at first.

Try to water down some of the milk and put a dish of that in front of it. Maybe it might start to take some from there?

You might have to try a bottle feeding, as the kitten might be looking for a nipple - but it's got to be a nipple/bottle for a small kitten. Most pet stores carry them.

See if this article might give you any tips on feeding this kitten. It needs to eat!!!

How to Feed and Care for Orphaned Kittens Rural Route 2 - Books About Life on a Farm

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The kitten needs to eat or it will go downhill fast. If you can not feed it with a syringe you could try this method with a sponge:
I'm surprised the vet did not guess at the kittens age for you. Did he tell you to feed it KMR? If so, I am guessing it is not old enough for solid food yet. Can you post a picture of the kitten?

Here's a video that shows how to bottle feed:

You could also call around to rescue organizations in your area, they may offer to help. I know it is stressful trying to learn how to feed a baby kitten for the first time.

Last edited:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good information has already been given. I would try to find the Mom if possible. You can also try to find a rescue group that may be able to put it with another Mom that has kittens. Sometimes another cat will adopt babies. Thank you for rescuing this baby! You’re awesome! Please keep us updated! :heartshape:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just know if you find the mom - it is not a good idea to try to reunite them at this point. The kitten has lost any scent the mom would recognize - unless Jcatbird Jcatbird has some ideas on how to get around that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GyaaneAbe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the helpful replies. For context I live in Indonesia, not the best developed country.

I'll try to contact some rescue groups (assuming there are any here)

I'll be away for a bit but don't worry the kitten is being watched over. I'll provide an update when I can.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only way to really get around the scent issue is to get Mom to smell like the baby by bringing her into the same environment. I have managed to reunite Moms and babies without doing that but scent can be an issue. A lot depends on how long they have been apart. Mom may be looking for the baby and if that is the case it makes things easier. She’ll be more accepting but you really need to get Mom and all the kittens in your care to continue helping the injured kitten. The age of the kitten is a major factor in all scenarios.