Found An Abandoned Newborn Kitten!

gs.xx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,
This morning I found a kitten that is less than a week old in my yard. He was all alone and crying, at first I didn’t want to pick him up in case the mother returned but after a couple of hours I brought him inside because I didn’t want to leave him outside. I have been feeding him KMR and it looks like he’s eating but it looks like he has dirt or something in his eyes and I don’t know what to do??
Also, any advice I need to know on how to care for a newborn kitten…I have never had a kitten this young…

MargoLane

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There are a lot of other posters here who know a million times more about kittens than I do! But I wanted to tell you what I’ve read on this site, and bump your post so some of our kitten experts see it!

You have to keep the kitten warm! With no mom to do it, other posters have suggested a sock filled with rice and microwaved, or a hot water bottle. Make sure both are properly wrapped in towels so as not to burn the kitten.

You’ll have to feed him or her quite often; the suggestion on other threads is to get a scale and weigh the kitten daily. They have to gain a certain amount of weight daily.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How is it going? is he taking the bottle and eating?
KMR in powder is good. KMR premade in liquid so so.
Goats milk, especielly raw goat milk, is good.

Roughly every two hours. May be more often with weak kittens whom dont manage much at a time.

Does stimulating works? Ie peeing, pooping? G gs.xx

What is his weigh at this moment? He should add 10+ grammes every day.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gs.xx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How is it going? is he taking the bottle and eating?
KMR in powder is good. KMR premade in liquid so so.
Goats milk, especielly raw goat milk, is good.

Roughly every two hours. May be more often with weak kittens whom dont manage much at a time.

Does stimulating works? Ie peeing, pooping? G gs.xx

What is his weigh at this moment? He should add 10+ grammes every day.
Yes, he is taking the bottle…he’s having a little bit of a hard time but he’s eating and yeah I’m going to a pet store to look for some goats milk. Stimulating is working but right now he is only peeing and he weighs 2 oz, which I hope is a good weight for him since he is about a day or two old.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
2 oz isnt much, so your margins are thin. Its at least Yellow Alert untill you clearly see he is gaining and thriwing.
10 grammes is roughly 1/3 Oz, to add every day.

Just peeing may be because of somewhat dehydrated. If its constipation, you can add a drop or two of coldpressed olive oil to each feeding.

But a change of KMR may also help, for example both KMR premade liquid and Hartz are known to be unewen.

If the pet store doesnt has raw goats milk, try further on...
Pasterurized goats milk is OK to use, but raw may have an edge - it too comes from an alive momma.
Very good is a mix from 1 part KMR in powder + 3 parts raw goats milk.

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
Good luck, you've gotten great advice here, as usual. Please continue to post any questions & also pics - hopefully the kitten will change each day as weight is gained.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A kitten that age can't regulate its own body temperature. You can help by taking a heating pad, set on low, and wrapping it in two or three layers of towels. Place it in a box large enough that the kitten can get on the pad if too cool, but can get off if too warm.

Youtube has many, many videos on how to bottle feed, potty, all sorts of things. Kitten Lady is probably one of (if not THE) best of these. Look for her name on a video, and you will know that the information is good.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He needs to eat constantly, like every 2 hours around the clock and be kept warm in between. Also his eyes are not open yet, neither are his ears so don't force them. You need to stimulate him to go to the bathroom after every feeding also.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I'll pray that the little one thrives, he looks so frail! I would bet he's not having a bowel movement with your stimulation because he hasn't eaten for a while. the first poops might be different colored or weird looking too. Please keep us updated on how he is doing.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A kitten that age can't regulate its own body temperature. You can help by taking a heating pad, set on low, and wrapping it in two or three layers of towels. Place it in a box large enough that the kitten can get on the pad if too cool, but can get off if too warm.

Youtube has many, many videos on how to bottle feed, potty, all sorts of things. Kitten Lady is probably one of (if not THE) best of these. Look for her name on a video, and you will know that the information is good.
The link I posted was about saving kittens from the Kitten Lady Website. I always post that as a reply right away if I notice no one is replying immediately.