Found abandoned kitten, how old is it?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Question: What happens when the fleas scamper to the head and face? I don't want to hone in on someone else's thread but I too need advice when it comes to bathing cats/kittens.
You can start by using the dish soap to make a soapy "collar" around the kittens neck. Fleas won't run through the soap, so the fleas all over the body won't be able to escape to the kittens head. Once you've done that you can wash the kittens body, then use a damp sponge and a flea comb to get rid of any fleas on the face and head.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
You can start by using the dish soap to make a soapy "collar" around the kittens neck. Fleas won't run through the soap, so the fleas all over the body won't be able to escape to the kittens head. Once you've done that you can wash the kittens body, then use a damp sponge and a flea comb to get rid of any fleas on the face and head.

Thank you, Norachan! :) I have one little kitten who is white and I can literally see fleas embedded in his face. I just want to ease some of his suffering before I get paid on Thursday, at which time I can get him a topical flea treatment. I never knew how to bath a cat before- thank you.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
And very dirty faces can be cleaned with a soft, damp washcloth. Water should be tepid...if it feels warm to you, it is TOO HOT for a cat. Think about baby formula...body temp for you will be pleasant for the cat.

I didn't know that about the temp. LOL- not my thread but thank you for the valuable information.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a dachshund. When she needed (very infrequently) to be bathed I would take a small blob of Vaseline on my finger and just wipe each eye. She'd naturally close each eye when I did this. The smear of Vaseline on each eyelid meant there was no risk of soapy water getting in her eye.

Dana_And_Monster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Question: What happens when the fleas scamper to the head and face? I don't want to hone in on someone else's thread but I too need advice when it comes to bathing cats/kittens.

Thank you.
I like to to start the bath by rubbing the face with no soap with my hands, just warm water; not too much; just dampened hand just to get the fleas off the face, then I make a soap ring on the neck so they don't run back up to the face! After the rinsing a few may go back on the face but you can just pull them off and throw them in the soapy bathwater or toilet!

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I like to to start the bath by rubbing the face with no soap with my hands, just warm water; not too much; just dampened hand just to get the fleas off the face, then I make a soap ring on the neck so they don't run back up to the face! After the rinsing a few may go back on the face but you can just pull them off and throw them in the soapy bathwater or toilet!

I am becoming more educated with each reply I read here- thank you.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I had a dachshund. When she needed (very infrequently) to be bathed I would take a small blob of Vaseline on my finger and just wipe each eye. She'd naturally close each eye when I did this. The smear of Vaseline on each eyelid meant there was no risk of soapy water getting in her eye.
Oh, that's a good idea!

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ummmmm if you can’t take her to the vet now because you have a motorbike; how did you plan on taking her to the vet? I have no idea where you are, that the vet is an hour away. I would look for a closer vet or one that could come to me.

I have never owned a motorbike before but can’t you just strap her crate to the back of your bike with a few bungee cords? Can you cover it with a towel before you strap it down, so it is less windy? When I lived in DK cars were not the norm for lower income families. So we borrowed a family member’s car to take our cat to the vet. I would ask friends and family members if you can borrow their car. Worst case scenario, you could take a cab. 🤷🏻‍♀️

However whatever you do, that kitten needs a deworming and a vet appointment for her first vaccinations. Worst case scenario I would deworm her at home and take her to get her first vaccines in a ?month? .... I can’t remember how old the kitten needs to be, to get their first vaccines. Until she is vaccinated, keep her inside!

⭐She needs to be spayed at 4 months old. Kittens as young as4 months old can go into heat. So to avoid a teen mom situation, get her spayed.

⭐The vet can tell you what type of dewormer to give her. You can check her but for things that look like clear grains of rice cut in half. They are worm segments.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
⭐First kitten vaccines are given at 6-8 weeks old. So she should be of age in one week, even if she was at the youngest estimate of 5 weeks.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There are actually backpack cat carriers available. Something like this one, from Amazon.
1599007659760.png

It rides on your back very nicely. I did a search with "backpack cat carrier" and came up with a LOT of selections!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Metal Fox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ummmmm if you can’t take her to the vet now because you have a motorbike; how did you plan on taking her to the vet? I have no idea where you are, that the vet is an hour away. I would look for a closer vet or one that could come to me.

I have never owned a motorbike before but can’t you just strap her crate to the back of your bike with a few bungee cords? Can you cover it with a towel before you strap it down, so it is less windy? When I lived in DK cars were not the norm for lower income families. So we borrowed a family member’s car to take our cat to the vet. I would ask friends and family members if you can borrow their car. Worst case scenario, you could take a cab. 🤷🏻‍♀️

However whatever you do, that kitten needs a deworming and a vet appointment for her first vaccinations. Worst case scenario I would deworm her at home and take her to get her first vaccines in a ?month? .... I can’t remember how old the kitten needs to be, to get their first vaccines. Until she is vaccinated, keep her inside!

⭐She needs to be spayed at 4 months old. Kittens as young as4 months old can go into heat. So to avoid a teen mom situation, get her spayed.

⭐The vet can tell you what type of dewormer to give her. You can check her but for things that look like clear grains of rice cut in half. They are worm segments.
Sorry for this late reply, but I live on a small island in the Philippines, and motorcycles are the most common vehicles here due to small streets. And there is only one vet on the island as well. But also unfortunately some of the neighborhood kids claimed that the kitten was theirs, and I wasn't able to do much for her afterwards. All I can hope for is that they took care of her and that she is still alive and happy.

TooManyFelines

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry for this late reply, but I live on a small island in the Philippines, and motorcycles are the most common vehicles here due to small streets. And there is only one vet on the island as well. But also unfortunately some of the neighborhood kids claimed that the kitten was theirs, and I wasn't able to do much for her afterwards. All I can hope for is that they took care of her and that she is still alive and happy.
Kids? How old? Did their parents tell you the kitten belongs to them? I would not give kids a kitten. Can you sneak her back? I am afraid for her safety. :(