Found A Really Sick Kitten 6 Days Ago Need Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rustygirl84

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So we found a very sick kitten back by our barn last Thursday. She has a bad URI and has been recently diagnosed with pneumonia. She is about 7 weeks old and only weighs 1 lb 3.2 oz. she is refusing to eat or drink. Treatment so far: clavamox x 5 days with no improvement. Now on Azithromycin for 2 days. Teramycin ointment for eyes. Dewormer x1 dose. SQ fluids 2 times a day. Was getting AD wet fodd with pedialyte slurry via syringe. Is now on clinicare every 3-4 hrs x5-10 ml. She has void d small amounts but no stool. We have her in a cat carrier with warm steam vaporizer. Also doing coupage. She is showing zero signs of improvement. I am at a loss with trying to save this baby. Please help

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
You might be able to get her to poop by gently rubbing her behind with a soft tissue. But she may not be pooping because she has eaten so little. Have you tried kitten milk or chicken baby food thinned with kitten milk?

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She really needs to eat and drink. Are you willing to try tube feeding? The vet would have to teach you, but it’s a good way to get food and water into her stomach if she refuses to eat. You could also try giving her kmr or goats milk, which is sometimes more appetizing to young kittens. You also need to weigh her to make sure she’s gaining. If she’s losing weight then you know something else needs to be done.

If she’s constipated, try putting a few drops of mineral or olive oil in her food or syringe feed it to her.

It’s really sounds like you are doing everything you can for this baby. I hope she turns around! Keep us updated!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rustygirl84

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You might be able to get her to poop by gently rubbing her behind with a soft tissue. But she may not be pooping because she has eaten so little. Have you tried kitten milk or chicken baby food thinned with kitten milk?
Yes I have mixed KMR with different foods. I’ve tried heating up foods and putting it on my finger. I’ve tried everything and she has absolute zero interest.

Rustygirl84

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She really needs to eat and drink. Are you willing to try tube feeding? The vet would have to teach you, but it’s a good way to get food and water into her stomach if she refuses to eat. You could also try giving her kmr or goats milk, which is sometimes more appetizing to young kittens. You also need to weigh her to make sure she’s gaining. If she’s losing weight then you know something else needs to be done.

If she’s constipated, try putting a few drops of mineral or olive oil in her food or syringe feed it to her.

It’s really sounds like you are doing everything you can for this baby. I hope she turns around! Keep us updated!
Thanks for the tip. I will try the olive oil and see if that helps. I put a few bites of food in her mouth with my finger and she spits them out. The liquid diet and syringe feeding seems to be working right now. The vet quoted me $1300 to keep her for 2 days with no promises that she will turn around. I just can’t spend that kind of money right now. I am better prepared at home with her at least she is getting snuggles and love. I really do hope she pulls through. I have been weighing her and she has not lost any weight but has not gained any either. It just breaks my heart that she may not live. I have fallen in love with the sweet girl:(

laura mae

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
At least she is more comfortable and comforted with you than outside. I hope she turns around. In addition to feeling crummy because of her illnesses the medication might be making her feel not hungry too. Maybe increase the syringe feedings? I realize you may already be doing this.

Rustygirl84

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The feeding seems to just take it out of her. I am feeding her every 3-4 hours should I try them closer together? She seems to hate it now every 3.5 hrs apart.

laura mae

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cats usually don't like to be forced to do anything so I think that's part of the response. A long time ago I had a cat that developed hepatic lipidosis and she had a feeding tube. As she got better she resisted the feedings more. And my kitty Scooter was quite ill a couple of years ago and I did what you are doing A/D in a warm slurry and syringe feeding him. He is a very compliant cat and didn't care for the process at all. When kitties stop eating, it takes some effort to get them back on food so hopefully by continuing to make sure she gets nutrition she will eventually start eating on her own. Those intervals seem good but I'm not sure how often kittens that age should eat. I recall my cats eating frequently but small amounts at a time when they were little.

Rustygirl84

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So she let me look in her mouth and the roof and back are very red and sore looking. I am sure this may be why she isn’t eating on top of being sick. What can I give her for pain? It will prob be another vet trip tomorrow morning.

laura mae

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The vet might have something for pain, but maybe not too. I got some drops for my cat after dental surgery that you put between their cheek and teeth. But like what you've experienced, she didn't care for the process. there isn't anything over the counter that is safe to give to cats for pain.

Rustygirl84

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She sadly passed away in her sleep over the weekend. She was doing a little better getting up, using litter box, purring. I think her pneumonia was just too far gone for her to survive. Poor little baby

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
:angel: I’m so sorry to hear this. You certainly did everything in your power to help her. She was so well loved for those days, and thankfully could feel safe and secure. Thank you for all you did for her. RIP sweet kitten! :angel:

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
That's sad news. We'll lock the thread now out of respect for your loss. Cats have a way of worming their way into our hearts, even after a short time. If you'd like to post a tribute to your furry little friend, our Crossing the Bridge forum is here.

Status
Not open for further replies.