Found a kitten by the road

Sushismom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We were out walking today and along the busy road we found a small kitten. My husband thought he was dead until he picked his head up and meowed at him. We looked around for places mom could be hiding but there’s nothing around there and it seemed more likely that someone dropped him off. I hope we didn’t do anything wrong in picking him up but we weren’t sure on his age or if mom would be back for him.
Does anyone have any idea of possible age? And what should I give him food wise? I have wet kitten food at home but if he’s not quite old enough then I need to get him something else.
12E3117E-53F0-4048-895C-252673119BF0.jpeg
08EBEA40-5598-4005-B340-6199CADB7F21.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Just from his looks I'd guess about 6-7 weeks old. Go ahead and try the wet kitten food. If he doesn't eat it you might need to go to a kitten milk replacer and bottle feed or mix it with the wet food for a couple of weeks.

With bottle feeding foster kittens I found that KMR was the best brand, and the kittens tolerated the powdered formula better than the premixed. You can also try raw goats milk if you can find it. The canned goats milk I got at the grocery store one time caused severe diarrhea.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Such a sweet kitty! I am by no means even remotely close to an expert on kittens, but he looks to be at least 6 weeks old. I would try feeding him the wet kitten food you have at home, even maybe mix it with some water for a slurry if he doesn't take well to the food itself.

Hoping some other members who have way more experience than me will come along soon with more educated advice.

EDIT: Oops, I see someone with more knowledge than I have did respond! Good!

Keep us posted!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sushismom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thankfully when we got home he took right to the kitten food!
I am going to make him a vet appointment tomorrow to be sure that everything is alright with him. And my husband and I are talking on if we are going to keep him since we have another young kitten who would probably do well having another kitten to hang with and play with.

Sushismom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can’t get the kitten a vets appointment for today unfortunately but i have one set up for Thursday. So for now he’s set up with food, water, a litter box, and a box with some old towels in it in our bathroom so he can settle in a bit and not be pestered by our other kitten.

Sushismom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is there anything I should be looking for sickness wise for this kitten? His eyes are a little weepy so I’m worried he might be a little sick or it could be because who knows how long he was out in the cold and all he needs is to be warm for a couple days with good food.
For the most part he stays in the box and sleeps. If we go in to check on him he’ll come out and meow at us and see if we are bringing more food stuffs. He’s not interested in the dry kitten food I’ve been leaving for him but the wet food he completely devours when I bring it in. I’ve tried to see if he’ll play a little but beyond batting at a toy while laying down he won’t do much. I’m not sure if that is because he’s really not comfortable yet or if I should be worried about him being sick.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If his eyes are just teary (no yellow or pus-like discharge) it may not mean anything. Just keep his eyes wiped with a soft cloth, one way or the other. You have no idea what was going on with him before you found him, so it is possible that he is on the shy side and isn't yet comfortable. But, he is eating and that is good. Feed him more wet if he won't eat the dry, or you can also try to mix the two just to see what he does. Even mix some dry with water to make it softer - mostly just for extra calories dry will afford him. And, just in case, keep leaving some dry out for him.

If all stays status quo until the vet visit, you should be OK. But, it is good that you have an appt. scheduled for him in the next few days!

Keep us posted!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I’ll bet he perks up once he gets to be with the other kitten! :redheartpump: He’s a little confused right now, and spending lots of time alone. Do feed him at least 6 times a day. Kittens need loads of food to grow on. Is he using the litter pan well?

Sushismom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So far he’s peeing in the litter box but not pooping. He’s going to the opposite side of the bathroom from the litter box to poop. I’m probably going to pick up another thing to serve as a second temp litter box and put it where he’s been pooping. His poop is a bit on the runny side but that’s just probably due to the new food or possibly worms or at least hopefully that’s what it is.
I’m a stay at home mom so he’s been getting lots of small meals today. I’ve been feeding him like a fourth of a 3 oz can every couple hours today. And he usually leaves a small bit behind. Do you think that’s enough or should I give him half a can and see if he’ll eat more?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like he is getting plenty of food. I would leave more at night when you go to bed so he can snack if he wakes through the night. A second box for poops is a good idea, or at least a doggie pee pad. The vet will determine if he needs treating for worms or parasites, but I agree that new food can cause soft or runny poop while his system adjusts. Sounds like you have things well in hand! :)

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks like 7 - 9 weeks old, the vet should have a better guess. More than likely has an URI which is common in kittens. Sadly a ton of kittens get dumped every year :( Not enough homes for them all and people just do not spay/neuter their cats. Glad you found him!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Do you have a ticking clock you can muffle a little with a towel wrapped around it (to mimic a heartbeat) or even low volume classical harp music can help ease stress :) also a sock half filled with dry rice or beans and heated gently in the microwave can give him something to snuggle with.

Sushismom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I did the sock with beans in it heated in the microwave for a very short time and he seems to like snuggling up next to it. I’ll have to play him some music I didn’t think about that being able to help him.
We are looking for names for him. My father in law says Lucky. My mother in law says Boots. My kids like both of those names and think we should name him Lucky Boots. My husband and I are open to suggestions.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Depending on his attitude, you could name him Caligula (as in the Roman emperor). I'm told that Caligula translates from the Latin as "little boots."

Sushismom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My husband thinks Caligula is cute! Though we will probably end up sticking to Lucky Boots lol.
Am I right in keeping the kitten separated from my other one till he is seen by the vet? We got a call from the vet this evening saying that they are having to cancel the appointment and when asked the next available one won’t be until Saturday. I’m starting to feel bad about keeping him in the bathroom all the time but I’m really worried about putting them together for fear one will make the other sick. I know he’s not happy either being stuck in there. I try to get in there and play with him and cuddle with him as often as I can usually around the same time as giving him his food every couple hours and my kids are in and out all day long. But the more often we are in with him and petting him and picking him up the more likely, if he is sick, will pass something on to our other kitten. His eyes are still runny and are a bit goopy after he wakes up from sleeping so I’m extra worried about him being sick though he still eats fine and wants to play and be held a lot. Please help me stick to keeping them apart or please tell me that I’m just being overly paranoid.